Pygame / fbturbo installation

arcadialabs

Hi,

I'm trying to get pygame working on Banana Pi / Banana Pro (with LVDS display) using the armbian 4.5 CLI images, but I'm unable to succeed (I think I'm missing fbturbo).

I tried to install the basic desktop following armbian guide, but pygame still is not working.

A little help on this one would be very appreciated, thanks !

I am using pygame with legacy kernel and Debian Jessie on (A20) Orange Pi ... tested on Banana too. Normal frame buffer from CLI.

For this:

screenshot.jpeg

apt-get install python-pygame

I also use additional packages:

apt-get install python-bs4 python-requests python-pywapi python-dev python-pip

Hi Igor, thanks for your answer.

According to you, running pygame from the CLI, on a lemaker 3.5 display, doesn't need something special, right ?

But I only get garbage on the screen (using a fresh image), and have to reboot the board to "reset" the display :

66579620151230200836.jpg

Could you please send me your script initialization part to compare ?

Many thanks

No, you don't need anything extra beside proper FEX settings. Perhaps they are not correct for the display you use? (check Lemaker Gihub for proper / different one) or there is something wrong with the cable.

The display I use is SPI based but that's not a problem. I also have the exact same display, only it's 7 inch version and it's working fine (with fex settings which are on images) - desktop with touch function. All is working fine.

I'm using lemaker's FEX settings, so I don't think they are the problem.

On your previous images (before Armbian), I could install a basic LXDE and then use a xinit script to launch a pygame script "from CLI", because pygame was not woking from CLI directly on the framebuffer. This is not working anymore, I don't know why.

Strangely, I have the same issue with various displays and various boards, including the Raspberry Pi with Adafruit's display on recent images (including a fresh image).

Hi Igor, happy new year !

I finally got the time to make more tests.

I'm working with a Banana Pi M1, a freshly downloaded 4.5 Jessie Legacy image, and your script.

Once installed, I replace /boot/script.bin with lemaker's banana_pi_35lcd.bin. After a reboot, display is working fine.

apt-get install python-pygame
apt-get install python-bs4 python-requests python-pywapi python-dev python-pip

And nothing else.

With your script set on fb0, I get the screenshot I linked above. Reboot needed to reset the display. Pygame detects a 320x240 framebuffer, which is normal.

With your script set on fb1, I get nothing but a non-blinking cursor. Pygame detects a 800x480 framebuffer, it sounds strange to me.

With a HDMI display only (original script.bin) and your script set on fb0, you are right, pygame / your script are working fine from CLI.

I also checked the board / display / cable using an old (but working) image, and pygame is running fine on it.

What else could I do ?

Try your image with my old / working script.bin, to check lemaker's bin file itself ? (Not working)

Try with a SPI display (not really my goal but I have a few) ?