CuBox i4 Pro does't boot after update

matteo

Question

Hello,

I updated my Vanilla Jessie headless install yesterday (aptitude safe-upgrade), but the system never came back online after reboot. The screen flashes the SolidRun logo and a few lines of text, and then the LED turns off and the screen goes blank:

U-Boot 2013.10-rc4-cubox (Feb 10 2016 - 20:42:40)
Hit any key to stop autoboot: 0
mmc0 is current device
*** File not found /boot.scr ***
*** File not found /uEnv.txt ***
*** File not found /zImage ***
*** File not found /uImage ***
563 bytes read in 166 ms (2.9 KiB/s)
Running bootscript from mmc ...
Executing script at 10000000

It doesn't seem like the system boots, and it definitely doesn't connect to my home network via Ethernet. Is there a way to rescue this install?

Thanks in advance,

Matteo

10 answers to this question

Hi Igor and wildcat_paris,

Many thanks for pointing this out to me. I read over the documentation last night, but glossed over that section because I didn't think of my unit as bricked. Sorry for the foolish question, but thank you again for the help, and for all the hard work you've put into this project!

Best,

Matteo

wildcat_paris,

Thanks again for your assistance, I appreciate it. I was able to get the system back up and running after following the rescue procedure. I noticed that I'm now using the legacy kernel (3.14.67), rather than vanilla (4.5.5). Is that expected behavior, or did I choose the wrong set of files? I first tried the cubox_4.5 debs, and then afterward the cubox_5.10 debs. In any case, I might leave things the way they are, as everything seems a tad more responsive with the legacy kernel. 

Also, I still have the missing file messages at boot, but it doesn't seem to affect anything. Perhaps this was always being displayed, but I never noticed because this is a headless server. I assume it's nothing to worry about?

Lastly, I'm fairly certain that I used aptitude for previous upgrades, but I'm not positive. In any case, I'll stick with apt-get for this system from now on.

Best,
Matteo

Matteo,

you can thank Igor as well :)

I am using aptitude from time to time. I guess it is not your real issue.

I don't know your board "cubox", so if it is working with a legacy kernel now, deal with it for some time, see what's up with Armbian.

Armbian devs have many many boards to deal with. Armbian team does a great job. Maybe the vanilla kernel will come back properly for you.

I know Igor & Zador.blood.stain or TKaiser are interested in SolidRun boards.

my story:

I have got an Odroid-XU4 (for 8 months) I got sick of Hardkernel images and so the board was getting dust. Recently Armbian released a working & security patched legacy image... I am happy.

There are vanilla kernel recipes for XU4 but board makers don't help much, they rely on communities like the Armbian crew.

Kind regards,

Guillaume

Matteo,

I had a quick look at http://www.armbian.com/cubox-i/

it is noted for vanilla : serial console only, so it may not work wit HDMI, only TTL UART.

=> legacy kernel is a better option. Vanilla is a work-in-progress.

Vanilla kernel

Bugs or limitations

Serial console only
    Gigabit ethernet transfer rate is around 50% of its theoretical max rate (internal chip bus limitation)

This may be unrelated, but I updated my cubox from kernel 5.10 to 5.11 (apt upgrade) and it failed to boot as well.

I don't have a serial cable at hand to check, but I downloaded a plain armbian jessie server image again, reflashed and upgraded the kernel again, and it did not boot back once more.

Hi again Guillaume,

I apologize for not responding earlier - I never received a notification that you responded to this thread. It probably ended up in my spam folder, and I lost track of things. My system bricked again, this time using apt-get. I came here to retrace my steps, and saw you were kind enough to respond to my previous questions - please accept my belated thanks.

In case it's of any use to Igor or the other developers:

• I've been running the legacy kernel (3.14.67) without issue for the past 5-6 weeks
  • I logged in via ssh today, and noticed that there were some updates available, so I ran apt-get upgrade
  • I rebooted the system, but it never came online
  • I mounted the SD Card on my Xenial workstation, and noticed that zImage was linked to vmlinuz-4.6.3-cubox
  • I relinked it to vmlinuz-3.14.67-cubox, forgoing the other recovery steps, and it's up and running again
  • /var/log/apt/history.log shows:

Start-Date: 2016-07-05  06:31:14
    Commandline: /usr/bin/unattended-upgrade
    Upgrade: linux-libc-dev:armhf (3.16.7-ckt25-2+deb8u2, 3.16.7-ckt25-2+deb8u3)
    End-Date: 2016-07-05  06:31:25

Start-Date: 2016-07-05  21:26:32
    Commandline: apt-get upgrade
    Upgrade: linux-jessie-root-next-cubox-i:armhf (5.11, 5.16), owncloud-deps-php5:armhf (9.0.2-1.1, 9.0.3-2.1), linux-dtb-n
    ext-cubox:armhf (5.11, 5.16), owncloud:armhf (9.0.2-1.1, 9.0.3-2.1), linux-firmware-image-next-cubox:armhf (5.11, 5.16),
     owncloud-files:armhf (9.0.2-1.1, 9.0.3-3.1), linux-image-next-cubox:armhf (5.11, 5.16), linux-headers-next-cubox:armhf
    (5.11, 5.16)
    End-Date: 2016-07-05  21:34:12

I'm not sure why apt-get decided to install the vanilla kernel again, though I haven't really investigated much yet.

In any case, I agree that Igor and the Armbian team does a fantastic job! I made a donation after the last round of help, because I truly appreciate all of the effort that goes into this project - it has made my investment in this hardware worthwhile. :D

Thanks again everyone!

Cheers,

Matteo