put root on software raid (mdadm)

dvachon

Hi! I have a Banana Pi Pro running last Armbian v5.20 via SD card. There is 2 usb HD 2TB connected.I create a software RAID1 /dev/md0 with the 2 usb hd dev/sda1 & dev/sdb1 mounted as /mnt/md0. Up to now all is working fine.

My goal, put the root on that raid1.

The script nand-sata-install does not reconize 'md' device, only 'sd' device so i did a very litte modification to the script to reconize 'md'. The script run fine and it transfert all from the SD card to the 'md' (raid) but after the reboot,,,,, nothing, the system wont start. :(

I am not a linux expert but i think that the problem is that the raid must be start from /boot (still on SD card) before the system try to mount root?

note: running nand-sata-install to put root on a none-raid partition on thoses drives is working very well but putting root on a raid partition, ex: 'md0' is not working.

Can somebody help me?

Daniel

Hi! I have a Banana Pi Pro running last Armbian v5.20 via SD card. There is 2 usb HD 2TB connected.I create a software RAID1 /dev/md0 with the 2 usb hd dev/sda1 & dev/sdb1 mounted as /mnt/md0. Up to now all is working fine.

My goal, put the root on that raid1.

The script nand-sata-install does not reconize 'md' device, only 'sd' device so i did a very litte modification to the script to reconize 'md'. The script run fine and it transfert all from the SD card to the 'md' (raid) but after the reboot,,,,, nothing, the system wont start. :(

I am not a linux expert but i think that the problem is that the raid must be start from /boot (still on SD card) before the system try to mount root?

note: running nand-sata-install to put root on a none-raid partition on thoses drives is working very well but putting root on a raid partition, ex: 'md0' is not working.

Can somebody help me?

Daniel

Well, if you are not a linux expert, you take great risk in installing the system on a mirror if it is not handled by the distro ! (and even if you are a linux expert and this is handled by the distro)

For that to be possible, you probably need a specific initrd (this is a compressed fs used to load in ram the mandatory drivers for complex/unusual configurations).