Running Linux on CS918

cs918

Hello!

Hopefully someone got ideas or a working, booting .img.

I got an CS918 box, which is based on the rk3188 system. i already played around with probably the most common tools on linux (rkflashkit, upgrade tool ...)

Unfortunately there are some dead download links out there, so i cannot download the most interesting img files. 

I'd prefer a debian img, but ubuntu will do the job too. I also tried out some steps from the "morrison-project" with its interesting scripts, but it didnt work yet.

Thank you for any ideas and links.

Greetings

CS918

I also have a CS918; I bought it for installing Linux.

I'm very interested in the steps for getting Android off my CS918, as I had to give up (nothing would work for me; I spent a month on getting nowhere with it).

-How far did you get with it ?

I just "smashed" my CS918 using both rkflashtool 5.2 and 6.1 (the two latest versions available from github and sourceforge).

Several bugs in this tool.

1: It's not compatible with Big Endian hosts. I've fixed this on my local copy, but it still doesn't work on my PowerBook (libusb keeps reporting a lot of junk).

2: If I write something to sector 0 and read it back, I get what I expect, but if I read from any other sector, I still get the data I wrote to sector 0.

3: If I write something to sector 2 and read sector 0, I get what I just wrote to sector 2. WONDERFUL!

4: when reading, the binary output is sent to stdout. That means all the libusb junk is mixed into your binary data and your backup images might just be completely useless.

As I do not have an Intel based platform, I am not able to use any of the pre-compiled binaries (for Windows or Linux), since they all assume that everyone use Intel.

@CS918 - do you have a backup of the original firmware from NAND ?

I've tried the FreakTab image; it boots, I get a prompt and I can log in as root, but there's no network (eg. I don't think the network driver matches the peripherals in the CS918).

I've tried keeping the DHCP setup and I've also tried with static IP addresses; no dice.

The WiFi does not seem to work either.

(well, on the positive side, it at least proves that it is possible to install Linux on the CS918 box).