Developer documentation

kprince

I would propose to start with build environment - our tools.They are made to be used for end users to recompile kernel and change kernel options for example. Kernel come packed as deb, so handling is simple.

When you want to go further and edit the code and save changes to the patch, check CREATE_PATCHES options. Further, you can configure / use your own kernel config, patches and sources per kernel family. 

I am sure I forgot something and we could do more, but it's already usable.

We are trying to follow stock Debian as much as possible. Everything regarding boot goes to /boot -> u-boot script and script environment (armbianenv.txt), kernel, ramdisk, dtb to /dtb ... bootloader is different for each board, usually somewhere before one and only ext4 partition. Bootloader is installed / updated on "uboot".deb install ... Further we have some utilities to make life easier (changing screen resolution, eMMC installer, armbianmonitor, ...) and some fine tuning regarding performances, power saving, ...

I am trying to understand both kernel and userland setup here -- and how it differs from mainline linux/debian/ubuntu/yocto/buildroot.

You can start by looking at the build script sources. Some tweaks and patches differ between board, kernel version and SoC family, and obviously the kernel versions will differ too (between different boards and between Debian/Ubuntu and Armbian images)

Most packages come from stock Debian and Ubuntu repositories, apart from kernel, u-boot, firmware and some multimedia related stuff.