pcDuino3 Nano Lose Wifi When upgrading > 4.8.4

MACscr

Seems when I upgrade my pcDuino3 Nano (pcDuino3b to be specific) from the Mainline server 4.7.3 using apt-get to the newest of everything, wifi is no longer seen. I have tried following the kernel upgrade guide as listed here: https://www.armbian.com/pcduino3nano/, but that doesn't seem to solve it. The device isn't even seen anymore. I did at one point get an error in dimes about ‘/lib/firmware/rtlwifi/rtl8188eufw.bin' being missing, which was odd because i don't think thats wifi, but replacing that with one i found on the rpi boards didnt help either. Ive been working on this issue for hours. Everything seems to work great as long as i don't upgrade, but I don't really want my armbian devices to be exposed like that.

Thanks,

Mark

Error tells you that firmware for the board is missing:

apt-get install armbian-firmware

if this does not solve, try:

apt-get install armbian-firmware-full

Reboot at each try.

No difference unfortunately and something I had already tried. Doesnt appear to be loaded according to lsmod though:

root@8track:/lib/firmware# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
evdev                  12164  1
sun4i_codec            11391  3
input_leds              2676  0
ir_lirc_codec           5048  0
snd_soc_core          131126  1 sun4i_codec
lirc_dev                7589  1 ir_lirc_codec
snd_pcm_dmaengine       3455  1 snd_soc_core
snd_pcm                77587  2 snd_pcm_dmaengine,snd_soc_core
sun4i_ts                3990  0
snd_timer              19698  1 snd_pcm
snd                    47943  3 snd_timer,snd_soc_core,snd_pcm
nvmem_sunxi_sid         2159  0
soundcore                922  1 snd
nvmem_core              9078  1 nvmem_sunxi_sid
sunxi_cir               3735  0
sun4i_ss               16066  0
cpufreq_dt              3432  0
thermal_sys            59134  2 sun4i_ts,cpufreq_dt
uio_pdrv_genirq         3164  0
uio                     8000  1 uio_pdrv_genirq
bonding               105334  0
fuse                   83932  1
realtek                 2775  0
root@8track:/lib/firmware#
root@8track:/lib/firmware#
root@8track:/lib/firmware# cd /lib/firmware/rtl
rtl_bt/  rtl_nic/ rtlwifi/
root@8track:/lib/firmware# cd /lib/firmware/rtlwifi/
root@8track:/lib/firmware/rtlwifi# ls
rtl8188efw.bin	 rtl8192cfwU_B.bin  rtl8192cufw_B.bin	  rtl8192defw.bin	   rtl8192eu_nic.bin	 rtl8712u.bin	    rtl8723aufw_B_NoBT.bin   rtl8723bu_nic.bin	   rtl8723fw.bin
rtl8188eufw.bin  rtl8192cfwU.bin    rtl8192cufw.bin	  rtl8192eefw.bin	   rtl8192eu_wowlan.bin  rtl8723aufw_A.bin  rtl8723befw.bin	     rtl8723bu_wowlan.bin  rtl8821aefw.bin
rtl8192cfw.bin	 rtl8192cufw_A.bin  rtl8192cufw_TMSC.bin  rtl8192eu_ap_wowlan.bin  rtl8192sefw.bin	 rtl8723aufw_B.bin  rtl8723bu_ap_wowlan.bin  rtl8723fw_B.bin	   rtl8821aefw_wowlan.bin
root@8track:/lib/firmware/rtlwifi#

Sure we do support those boards (free / donation pledge), but not all possible 3rd party USB WiFi sticks. Even onboard adaptors is hard enough. Your board come without wireless ...

This is general Linux problem and I am only trying to help the best way I can.

Sure we do support those boards (free / donation pledge), but not all possible 3rd party USB WiFi sticks. Even onboard adaptors is hard enough.

This is general Linux problem and I am only trying to the best way I can.

No problem. I understand. This is though the onboard wifi I am talking about. I have no third party hardware connected to this board besides a keyboard and monitor.

I am not very familiar with this board and out of logs I can see that wireless is connected to USB, which is unusual. No problem about that ... Regarding ID it should be RTL8188CUS which is supported by the 8192cu driver. Why it's not recognised by the driver is hard to say but the most easy way is to try to compile your own, like suggested in one of my previous post. Next is to go deep into the driver, to understand what's going on ... I have some of those adaptors to check up. Sometimes only the product id (idProduct 0x8179) is wrong ...

Just in case I would try to connect it via powered USB hub.

I am not very familiar with this board and out of logs I can see that wireless is connected to USB, which is unusual. No problem about that ... Regarding ID it should be RTL8188CUS which is supported by the 8192cu driver. Why it's not recognised by the driver is hard to say but the most easy way is to try to compile your own, like suggested in one of my previous post. Next is to go deep into the driver, to understand what's going on ... I have some of those adaptors to check up. Sometimes only the product id (idProduct 0x8179) is wrong ...

Just in case I would try to connect it via powered USB hub.

Its definitely onboard (doesnt mean it doesnt go through usb like a lot of other boards do for some of its onboard hardware). Seems my pcDuino3b is form factor of the pcDuino3, but with the gigabit speeds of the Nano. I had to use the nano to get networking to work.