LIME2 rev.G won't boot Armbian 5.25 if HDMI is connected

vasekch

Hi,

I've tested more than 10 pcs of Lime2 rev. G and those that I received from Olimex in last supply (Jan 2017) has strange behavior, all of them.

It won't boot if HDMI connector is plugged in (tested with two different screens).

There is only simple message in console repeated crazy fast "rb int error!". Googling returned only two links to source code  :(

I use latest version 2017.01-armbian (Feb 02 2017 - 02:40:37) - Armbian_5.25_Lime2_Ubuntu_xenial_default_3.4.113.img

When I try older Armbian 2016.09-armbian (Sep 15 2016 - 03:51:47 +0200) everything is fine. What has changed?

I attach the beginning and the end of the serial console output (working HDMI not connected on the left, failing HDMI connected on the right).

lime2_hdmi_issue_start.png

lime2_hdmi_issue_end.png

I have no idea how to debug this, only solution I can think of is sticking with older Armbian, which I really don't like.

Thanks for your ideas!

I tried to test it more thoroughly, but it seems, that problem occures ah-hoc (run condition?), HDMI is not the one to blame, although if HDMI is connected and device is booted from cold state, issue seems to occur more often.

Reading through https://github.com/allwinner-ics/lichee_linux-3.0/blob/master/drivers/block/sun5i_nand/src/scan/nand_scan.c

//search the nand flash physical architecture parameter by nand ID
result = _SearchNandArchi(tmpChipID, &tmpNandPhyInfo);
if(result)
{
    SCAN_ERR("[SCAN_ERR] search nand physical architecture parameter failed!\n");
    return -1;
}

makes me feel that detection of NAND fails in the middle. I don't have device with NAND, so it should fail and proceed, but NAND initialization seem to start and then throws an error (obviously).

SHOULD ANY MODERATOR CHANGE THIS THREAD NAME TO "LIME2 rev.G won't boot Armbian 5.25 - false NAND detection" THANKS

I feel little stupid, because I just tried it more than 30 times on clean armbian installation (different SD) and problem didn't raise up. So maybe somethings goes wrong after I've installed my additional packages:

apt-get install dbus-x11 telnet iftop tree sysv-rc-conf multitail watchdog netcat \
midori x11-xserver-utils matchbox matchbox-window-manager unclutter xinit
or maybe my SD card is not so "Industial" as it's label says. I use Kingston 8GB SDHC, class 10, Industrial grade. I need to mention, that I did try to reinstall everything from scratch and issue was still there.

I'll try to investigate little more and report it here just in case someone else will face the same missery.

Hi

I have the same problem.

Board: LIME2 rev. G, only SD card (1 piece, I ordered it last week.)

Image: Armbian_5.25_Lime2_Debian_jessie_default_3.4.113

There is only noise on the HDMI screen and "rb int error!" on the console.

SD card: SanDisk Ultra microSDHC UHS-I Card 16GB (Previously I used this card without problem in a BPI-M2 board with Armbian)

Best regards