Wifi Access Point

xwalter

Hy Igor 

I have created the file and copied into it , reboot but nothing 

The last version of armbian 5_10 isn't stable ....pratically with orange pi plus 2 is impossibile to get an AP .

Maybe better to change on raspberry 3 ?  

After 8 months ?im not sure with orange and I don't want to invest money in this way because it will be a sure failure , I don't know what ever to do ....

The last version of armbian 5_10 isn't stable ....pratically with orange pi plus 2 is impossibile to get an AP 

Onboard wifi doesn't seems to be stable in AP mode, but you are using some on USB right?

Also try commenting out those lines in hostapd.conf if they exists:

wmm_enabled=1
ieee80211n=1

I tryied but nothing , I'm also testing with a couple of usb dongle 

Now I want to format the SD card again and try this tutorial with orange pi pc and orange pi plus 2 

The wifi is a big misterious with orange but wifi is one of the most important feature for the actual technologies

The wifi is a big misterious with orange but wifi is one of the most important feature for the actual technologies

Not just on Orange but on Linux in general. Here the advantage of bigger community (x86, RPi) kicks in. More people dealing with it, more fixed wireless drivers, but still there are chips that are not supported in Linux.

We hardly manage to put those onboard into action. And even here we face many different chips / drivers ... 

I am just saying that you will face similar problems elsewhere because of Linux nature / architecture. Most wireless keys will work out of the box (or after driver install) only on your PC running Windows at best. (RPi running Windows is excluded)

What to do? Learn, explore and understand that things are not just granted to work. Someone must write a driver and someone must fix problems with that driver - support is essential ... Most chip makers does this job badly, half way. As I said, we try but already hardly manage to cope with on board WiFi chips ... which are mostly low cost.

If you want some professional grade services, you'll need to switch for better hardware - check boards that fancy mPCI slot, where you can put a proper router class wireless card. (Only) Those wireless cards usually works how you expect.

ok  ....

Can yo suggest me some of these  boards that fancy mPCI slot ? 

I'm also looking for a couple of books to learn better linux based system for example 

"Embedded Linux Primer - A Practical Real-World Approach, 2Nd Edition "  or

"How Linux Works, 2nd Edition "   and  

"Understanding Linux Network Internals "  or 

"Linux Device Drivers, 3rd Edition" 

Do you think is enaugh to start ?

Tnx !

Armbian supported boards with mPCI: Hummingboard and Clearfog in different variants. There are also Intel / AMD based but they are even more expensier. Recommended wifi card chipsets: 
https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/ath9k (fully OSS, up to 450 Mbps)
https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/ath10k (firmware based, AC)

One more thing to mentioned. Not all mPCI cards support AP mode ... they are locked down by the firmware so you are forced to buy expensive "router class" cards. There is a hack for ath9k (already build into most Armbian kernels) since it's an OSS driver, while you have no choice with recent ath10k based cards ATM.

Linux wireless wiki is also a good start to know more about wifi.
https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org

For general stuff get this:

front-cover-small-226x300.jpg

@xwalter

Everything depends on your use cases and budget considerations. For the good wireless access point (if you want to combine it with something else like a web server or a file server, otherwise why are you looking at SBC hardware instead of router/AP hardware in the first place) you need to look for a board that runs mainline kernel and for a wireless card that is supported in mainline too (https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/ is a good place to start, but looking through kernel configuration menu and kernel sources may be better).

Note that boards with miniPCIe slot like Clearfogs are more expensive, and miniPCIe wireless cards use external antennas, so you'll have to think about buying and mounting either laptop-type flat antennas or u.FL-SMA cables and SMA antennas.

pratically the projects are very low prices ....this is because I'm choosing the orange pi 

Anyway , it's a sin because the orange pi are very powerfull with ram , emmc and else 

I will follow the tutorial where explains how to install the driver 8188eu .....

pratically the projects are very low prices ....this is because I'm choosing the orange pi 

Anyway , it's a sin because the orange pi are very powerfull with ram , emmc and else 

I will follow the tutorial where explains how to install the driver 8188eu .....

You can succeed with low cost devices to get a decent performance. But it's usually more painful, require hard work and / or deep knowledge - to debug and fix problems.

I honestly wish you good luck and remember to have fun  :P

Maybe you can use an Omega2 board because is an access point hardware with a router oriented OS, openwrt, and is cheap and is configured as access point by default.

Also the C.H.I.P. board has an on-board Wi-Fi with a decent community and a lot of tutorials explaining how to configure as access point, including the capability of run by battery.

Omega v1 had Atheros chipset while current v2 uses MT7688 ... Atheros is at least OSS friendly while Mediatek is not and "wanna be" router class at best. C.H.I.P. has Realtek 8723DS ... which is also not router class hw. Same shit, just in different package. Remember that "routerboard" Banana R1 was also advertised to run Openwrt :)

Good things are extremely hard to find those days :(

Several months ago I was able to run AP on orange pi with armbian 5_10 , I followed the Igor ....

The GPIO managed with WiringOP was for me excellent , my application runs a tcp server with several threads in C++ and other app in java for android was perfect to exchange continouslt datas between two systems. Sometimes when start orange pi some troubles but more or less was good .

I cannot say it was stable and was not a commercial application . This week doesn't work and I have tried to use armbian 5_20 with onboard wifi and a couples of usb dongles wifi , but nothing .

This week , I'm in holiday and i'd like to do something . The project is based on orange pi and android smart phone .Is a complex home building automation the project , low cost. I have also to design several cards for digital and analog I/O's .

In this condition , time short and orange pi not stable I'm thinking to port the project to raspberry pi mod 3 .

I saw a project called unipi which provides a raspy + I/O card , I can use it as HW  + SW  platform 

To have an AP allows me to develop tcp client-server technologies or web server . I have already installed apache2+phpmyadmin+mysql and php .

I use the web server for other functions in my application .

The problem is just the wifi , for the rest I'm satisfayed of armbian and orange pi HW.

I think , before change hw , is better to try to install 8188eu driver and test .....but as Igor told me few days ago , in the armbian 5_20 some files are lost such as hostapd.conf  or  wpa_supplicant and I found some differences that I'm not able to solve .

If someone is interested we can develop the system togheter 

Is there any good news by now? I am also trying to establish an access point on an oPi lite board. I tried several tutorials but for the moment it is not working as an access point. I can use the onboard wifi to connect to my router and that works fine. Did anyone find a solution?

hello people,

Is any OPI boards (OPI0 - terminated, Opi Lite or OPI One or any other else) being able for providing a decent wifi communication and AP with its own on-board wifi driver?

I want to port my application, but as far as I got, OPI0 wifi is NOT trusted anymore ... so I would NOT use it like this even if I mostly get succeeded results. 

Is OPI designed to work in a reasonable way only with a external USB Dongle ?

Thanks.

6 hours ago, Pop Andrei Lucian said:

OPI0 - terminated, Opi Lite or OPI One

Opi zero wireless can be used, but it has limited usage and other boards, which you expose, also use low cost wireless adaptor. Don't expect much, especially don't expect router class reliability and functionality. Industrial grade / reliable WiFi adaptor comes with higher price than a board, while those for decent price is hard to find. It's a combination between kernel version, firmware, hardware quality and luck.

2 hours ago, Pop Andrei Lucian said:

H2+ core is being more buggier than H3 I think? What you say?

Nope, H2+ = H3 without 4k decoding or something completely irrelevant, but on-board wireless chip on Opi Zero is shitty while on Opi Lite is little better. Opi Lite has also a better powering via normal power connector, while zero has microUSB which is known to cause troubles.