NanoPI NEO / AIR

Then, I flashed an Image for nanopi air, but it is release 5.21 and not 5.20 anymore.

nand_sata_install doesn't work either in 5.21 because it point the rootfs at old sdcard p1 UUID and not at eMMC p1.

(and it seems neo bootblock 5.20 cannot handle alternate boot)

Please always keep in mind that when you use any of the beta images things might break anyway :)

Yes, I am aware of it (and I was prepared to that). But you know, freedesktop.org software is always and will always be beta version ... (And badly designed).

Any recommendations on how to mount the sdcard when booting off the eMMC?  Is there a module that I need to load?

No module necessary, we just added necessary steps today to documentation: http://docs.armbian.com/User-Guide_Getting-Started/#how-to-install-to-emmc-nand-sata-usb

In short: Clear the so called SPL on the SD card by overwriting it with zeros (otherwise the board will try to boot from SD card) and change the detection mode in script.bin.

Okay, so you have to have the sdcard inserted at boot time for it to be recognized.  I have it working now, but can't it be made to auto-mount on insert?

Nope, it should also work if you insert the SD card later. But one of the two steps above prevents the SD card being a showstopper when inserted at boot time.

And yes, all of the 4 distros Armbian supports provide various ways for auto-mounting, eg. via udev or 'sudo apt-get install autofs' (just read through the autofs manual page after installation, do some googling for 'auto mount $distro' or hope for others giving better hints/tips -- I'm not that familiar with 'Linux in non-server role')

Hi 

Having now got my NEO to work as a Network Attached Audio Device I want to power it with a 5V linear power supply.

Do I use the 

TTL To RS232 Module(PSU-ONECOM)connected like  http://www.friendlyarm.com/image/catalog/description/NanoPi-NEO_en_07.jpg

Will this power the board without the micro usb connected?

Regards

Carl

It doesn't look to me like that comes with a power supply, and I don't know why you would want to use that anyway if you just want to power it.

Why not use something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Raspberry-Power-Supply-KuGi-Adapter/dp/B01E6YLFAO

Will this power the board without the micro usb connected?

Sure and in case you want to run heavy loads it's always the best idea to avoid crappy Micro USB if possible :)

Check the pin descriptions here: http://wiki.friendlyarm.com/wiki/index.php/NanoPi_NEO#Layout (every VDD_5V and GND pin should be useable to insert DC-IN, NanoPi NEO, Air and M1 also have a power circuitry that allows to power devices through the Micro USB jack when powered through any of the VDD_5V pins)

FriendlyARM's PSU-ONECOM has a 4.0/1.7mm power barrel as known from Xunlong, CubieTech or 'Team BPi' but you can also use simple jumper wires to access 5V/GND pins on the 4-pin header or solder cables to the other headers.

With the various NanoPi Micro-USB can be used as long as not too much USB consumers are connected to the board but Armbian supports one board where it's highly recommended to always power through pin headers and avoid crappy Micro USB: http://linux-sunxi.org/Pine64#Pine64.2B_.281_GB.29

A little off topic, sorry. I would like your opinion on what I did with Builroot. If what I have done is correct. Thanks.

Buildroot supports orangepi pc (without ethernet ?).

See https://git.busybox.net/buildroot/tree/board/orangepi/orangepipcand https://git.busybox.net/buildroot/tree/configs/orangepipc_defconfig

In Buildroot, I compiled orangepi-pc with dhcpcd and openssh, and then I copied the image on a SD card.

On the small partition on the sd card, there were three files boot.src, sun8i-h3-orangepi-pc.dtb and zImage. I replaced two of them by those of armbian-dev (sun8i-h3-orange-pi-one.dtb and zImage). This seems to work.

dmesg : dmesg.txt

/var/log/message : message.txt

Please look through BT related commits (especially the one from Aug 30): https://github.com/friendlyarm/h3_lichee/commits/master

I also remember that there might be a conflict regarding pin PA16 (FA's kernel has a fix for audio regarding this pin which is also used to communicate with AP612). It would be great if you can come up with a solution (pull request or at least documenting what you've done to get BT working).

In fact it seems bluetooth on nanopi air "can" work with the current fex parameters :

[bt_para]

bt_used = 1

bt_uart_id = 3

bt_uart_baud = 1500000 (changed from 115200)

bt_rst_n = port:PG13<1><default><default><0> (may be pb)

bt_wake = port:PA08<1><default><default><0>

bt_host_wake = port:PA07<0><default><default><0>

bt_host_wake_invert = 0

(I don't intend to use audio on this board, so I didn't dig about PA16)

I say "can" because I just make it run for my need with an old armbian kernel and module and a mix of bluez4, bluez5 hciattach and old bluez-utils from archive (but it should run with BT5 and current armbian)

- kernel 3.4.112-sun8i #8 SMP PREEMPT Mon Jun 20 12:54:33 CEST 2016 armv7l ARMv7 Processor rev 5

(v7l) sun8i GNU/Linux

- ap6212 init by :

rfkill unblock all

echo "0" > /sys/class/rfkill/rfkill0/state

echo "1" > /sys/class/rfkill/rfkill0/state

echo " " > /dev/ttyS3

hciattach /dev/ttyS3 bcm43xx 1500000 flow bdaddr 00:1A:7D:DA:71:0E

hciconfig hci0 up

For me, it is mandatory to change the ap6212 harware address (43:43:A0:12:1F:AC) because this is a multicast ethernet address and the bnep module then create an ethernet interface that cannot be uped.

(http://bradhedlund.com/2007/11/21/identifying-ethernet-multicast/)

Nevertheless, without antenna BT range is approximately 5 centimeters and FA don't provide an antenna ! Take also care that the ap6212 is 3 mm from the holes where you need to solder pins yourself to connect a console. I had to wipe the board with trichlorethilen (but not sure it was the major problem).

On the other hand, I compiled BT4 without power or temp problem without heatsink and 5V through micro USB from my ethernet link with a BPI.

NanoPi Air arrived. Up and running within 10 min. -- flashed directly to eMMC from OS X: http://sprunge.us/FjVC

Feels a bit strange working on an OS image all the time without access to hardware and now everything's working out of the box (access to Wi-Fi using g_serial connection and nmtui worked like a charm).

Edit: sunxi-tools are missing and entropy when re-creating SSH host keys wasn't that great.

I tried to adjust fex file for their new camera module based on @lex/@llvm info weeks ago but didn't try out yet (no time, I only prepared a cpuburn test and if the board survives the next hour running at 1200 MHz then we can adjust board settings -- also for NEO PCB rev 1.1)

Edit: 11 days ago: https://github.com/igorpecovnik/lib/commit/ff28ce5bad0c61ea887bb95fcdce7b085408ac8b

Looks good, still running cpuburn-a7 at 1200 MHz and 64 degree C (using a fan together with FA heatsink). So we can mention on NEO and Air download pages that people should use h3consumption if interested in top performance and not lowest consumption.

Now back in the drawer with the stuff...

NanoPi Air arrived. Up and running within 10 min. -- flashed directly to eMMC from OS X: http://sprunge.us/FjVC

Feels a bit strange working on an OS image all the time without access to hardware and now everything's working out of the box (access to Wi-Fi using g_serial connection and nmtui worked like a charm).

Edit: sunxi-tools are missing and entropy when re-creating SSH host keys wasn't that great.

Have you got an antenna in the package ?

Something might be brocken in gadget driver : I cannot load g_serial and g_eher simultaneously but webbbn had it working ?

I like this board : tiny, stable, don't heat. I interconnect the UART directly with a BPI and haven't got reset problem until now.

Have you got an antenna in the package ?

Something might be brocken in gadget driver : I cannot load g_serial and g_eher simultaneously but webbbn had it working ?

I like this board : tiny, stable, don't heat.

It does not overheat that badly as NEO PCB rev 1.0, true. Antenna is the crappy one that came with Pine64 and it's known to not work to load more than one gadget driver (even unloading might fail which is the reason we enable g_serial only on OrangePi Lite and the Air).

Looks good, still running cpuburn-a7 at 1200 MHz and 64 degree C (using a fan together with FA heatsink). So we can mention on NEO and Air download pages that people should use h3consumption if interested in top performance and not lowest consumption.

Now back in the drawer with the stuff...

About heatsink : I don't have any. If you install FA heatsink, you cannot solder pin anymore ? Right ?

I have a huge copper heatsink in a drawer. Do you think it could be possible to increase frequency on these boards (neo with v1.1 PCB or air) ?

About heatsink : I don't have any. If you install FA heatsink, you cannot solder pin anymore ? Right ?

I have a huge copper heatsink in a drawer. Do you think it could be possible to increase frequency on these boards (neo with v1.1 PCB or air) ?

The heatsink is just bolted on, so it's easy to remove, but it doesn't interfere with the pins, so it's possible to solder pins on even with the heatsink installed.

I tried to adjust fex file for their new camera module based on @lex/@llvm info weeks ago but didn't try out yet (no time, I only prepared a cpuburn test and if the board survives the next hour running at 1200 MHz then we can adjust board settings -- also for NEO PCB rev 1.1)

Edit: 11 days ago: https://github.com/igorpecovnik/lib/commit/ff28ce5bad0c61ea887bb95fcdce7b085408ac8b

Can you please try with this possible fex configuration and check the Camera schematic (AIR) which pins/port are routed for:

vip_dev0_power_en        = port:PD14<1><default><default><default>
vip_dev0_reset           = port:PE14<1><default><default><default>
vip_dev0_pwdn            = port:PE15<1><default><default><default>

Try this:

vip_used                 = 1
vip_mode                 = 0
vip_dev_qty              = 1
vip_define_sensor_list   = 0
vip_csi_pck              = port:PE00<2><default><default><default>
vip_csi_mck              = port:PE01<2><default><default><default>
vip_csi_hsync            = port:PE02<2><default><default><default>
vip_csi_vsync            = port:PE03<2><default><default><default>
vip_csi_d0               = port:PE04<2><default><default><default>
vip_csi_d1               = port:PE05<2><default><default><default>
vip_csi_d2               = port:PE06<2><default><default><default>
vip_csi_d3               = port:PE07<2><default><default><default>
vip_csi_d4               = port:PE08<2><default><default><default>
vip_csi_d5               = port:PE09<2><default><default><default>
vip_csi_d6               = port:PE10<2><default><default><default>
vip_csi_d7               = port:PE11<2><default><default><default>
vip_csi_sck              = port:PE12<2><default><default><default>
vip_csi_sda              = port:PE13<2><default><default><default>
vip_dev0_mname           = "ov5640"
vip_dev0_pos             = "rear"
vip_dev0_lane            = 4
vip_dev0_twi_id          = 2
vip_dev0_twi_addr        = 0x78
vip_dev0_isp_used        = 1
vip_dev0_fmt             = 0
vip_dev0_stby_mode       = 1
vip_dev0_vflip           = 1
vip_dev0_hflip           = 0
vip_dev0_iovdd           = ""
vip_dev0_iovdd_vol       = 2800000
vip_dev0_avdd            = ""
vip_dev0_avdd_vol        = 2800000
vip_dev0_dvdd            = ""
vip_dev0_dvdd_vol        = 1500000
vip_dev0_afvdd           = ""
vip_dev0_afvdd_vol       = 2800000
vip_dev0_power_en        = port:PD14<1><default><default><default>
vip_dev0_reset           = port:PE14<1><default><default><default>
vip_dev0_pwdn            = port:PE15<1><default><default><default>
vip_dev0_flash_en        =
vip_dev0_flash_mode      =
vip_dev0_af_pwdn         =
vip_dev0_act_used        = 0
vip_dev0_act_name        = "ad5820_act"
vip_dev0_act_slave       = 0x18

and with:

vip_dev0_stby_mode       = 0

FA sensor is usually AF, try also later with this, and make sure ad5820_act is loaded before ov5640:

vip_dev0_act_used = 1

You can, on the other side but hardly without removing it.

30486154102_9e3e0b0846_k.jpg

Hi

I am looking for an image that runs on NanoPi Neo with a kernel above 4.4.x (I want to run docker) and enabled USB support.

The image with kernel 4.6.7 works perfectly with docker, but the USB ports are not available. The image with 3.4.7 has USB, but no docker...

I wasn't able to find the image with 4.7.2 and USB OTG support, as the link posted by tkaiser seems to be offline.

Any help is appreciated. 

Lukas

Hi

I managed to get my Neo running with a 5v linear power supply through the TTL To RS232 Module(PSU-ONECOM).

The problem I had was that the linear supply came up to voltage slowly and the Neo would not boot. The solution was to turn the linear power supply on before inserting the jack into the TTL To RS232 Module(PSU-ONECOM)

Hope this helps others.

Regard

Carls