[SOLVED] Orange PI PC H3 Winner, compiled with igorpecovnik jessie desktop

Jimmy Belanger

------------------------------------------------  **** RESOLVED **** ---------------------------------------------------- 

20 years of experience in computer science and I look like an idiot front of my OrangePI PC...

You want to have a working HDMI LCD SCREEN with your ORANGEPI PC and you want to learn fast…

Read this small tutorial, sorry my english it not perfect and if I make some error during this tutorial,

please admin just correct me inside the post.

5inch-HDMI-LCD-Size.jpg

First of all, if you think you know something when you receive your orangepi haha,

clear your memory my friend, orangepi is not a pc … is not a RASPBERRY so don’t try RASPBERRY tutorial

or don’t try the raspberry OS version FAKE idiot stupid img -http://www.orangepi.org/downloadresources/orangepipc/oragepipc_e930546e866b23585721e5d2a6.html

and for be clear with you, I dont work for armbian, I have just tested every iso on the orangepi page.

the boost work, your ubuntu going to work but no lcd, no hdmi, no real support... so bypass this time of trouble.

The orangepi dont boot with MINI USB power so use the dc adaptor OR gpio pin 1 5v relay and 6 ground ...

OrangePI is a group of small computer ( you have some version PC, mini, PLUS2, etc...), you need a OS boot on it,

bananapi, baglebone this is a different type of mini pc and need a different version of os.

And you need a different version on os for the orangepi version PC or mini or plus ...

And jimmy what the is H3 WINNER, I am not sure but I think is the processor on it and if you buy you orangepi recenly like 2016 I think you suppost to have a orangepi with H3 WINNER you can check on your board on black square ... something is write on it.

So keep in mine you suppost to have a orangepi with H3 winner processor on it.

You need a OS for your orange pi,

ARMBIEN is the debian os distribution working on different mini-pc and you have Pre-compiled kernel, stuff and sometime desktop environnement version done for you. ( ARM cpu ... not real x86 or x64 ... it done for the mini-pc)

http://www.armbian.com/download/

So if you have a orangepi PC H3 : http://www.armbian.com/orange-pi-pc/

you can choose jessy server ( no desktop graphic environnement ) or Xenial version.

In general case you need the JESSY with GRAPHIC desktop version 

http://mirror.igorpecovnik.com/Armbian_5.14_Orangepipc_Debian_jessie_3.4.112_desktop.7z

5.14 : is the compiled version number,

--------------------------------------------------------------------

if you have more experience you can compile 5.17 by yourself https://github.com/igorpecovnik/lib

3.4.112 kernel version ( you have 2 last version 3.4 .... go with this .... everything done work with it )

the 4.0... kernel vanilla is a beta and desktop dont work at this moment.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

So .7z file wtf, it easy download the utility it look like winzip or winrar it  : http://www.7-zip.org/

extract and you receive a .raw file... wtf again and burn it with rufus or win32DiskImager... on sd card not usb key !!

So now you have front of you

MINI PC :            ORANGE PI

TYPE :                 PC

VER :                  JESSY DESKTOP 3.4.112

KERNEL :           3.4.112

You suppost to plug normal hdmi monitor screen pc and see the armbian os.... ask you some question so anwser it. 

IF is not working .... seriouly the only thing is the resolution ...  

if your screen have a weird resolution like 1920X1440 like my pro design screen..

So try to find screen with normal resolution and boot on it just for sure all is ok...

if you dont have normal screen resolution scan you network and connect you in SSH on the orangepi IP 

user : root  pass : 1234

So keep in mind the type of SCREEN

http://www.waveshare.com/5inch-hdmi-lcd.htm

waveshare done few kind of screen

art Number Resolution LCD Interface Touch Panel Interface For use with Dimension (mm) Touch Panel Type How you feel Feature 3.2inch RPi LCD ( B) 320x240 I/O I/O Pi As the Pi 3B Resistive ★★ Low cost 3.5inch RPi LCD (A) 320x480 I/O I/O Pi As the Pi 3B Resistive ★★★ Cost effective 4inch RPi LCD (A) 320x480 I/O I/O Pi 94 × 61 Resistive ★★★☆ IPS screen 4.3inch HDMI LCD 480×272 HDMI I/O Pi 106 × 68 Resistive ★★★★ Cost effective 5inch HDMI LCD 800x480 HDMI I/O Pi 121 x 78 Resistive ★★★★ Low cost 5inch HDMI LCD ( B) 800x480 HDMI USB Not only Pi 121 x 76 Resistive ★★★★ Supports various systems 7inch HDMI LCD 1024×600 HDMI I/O Pi 165 × 107 Resistive ★★★★☆ IPS screen 7inch HDMI LCD ( B) 800x480 HDMI USB Not only Pi 165 x 107 Capacitive ★★★★☆ Supports various systems 7inch HDMI LCD © 1024x600 HDMI USB Not only Pi 165 x 107 Capacitive ★★★★★ IPS screen, Supports various systems 10.1inch HDMI LCD 1024×600 HDMI I/O Pi 235 × 144 Resistive ★★★★☆ Cost effective 10.1inch HDMI LCD (H) 1024x600 HDMI USB Not only Pi 257 x 162 Capacitive ★★★★☆ Supports various systems 10.1inch HDMI LCD ( B) 1280x800 HDMI USB Not only Pi 274 × 187 Capacitive ★★★★★ IPS screen, Supports various systems

the first 5 screen dont work for me after few try ...

the number 6

5inch HDMI LCD ( B) 800x480 HDMI USB Not only Pi 121 x 76 Resistive ★★★★ Supports various systems

http://www.waveshare.com/img/devkit/LCD/5inch-HDMI-LCD/5inch-HDMI-LCD-Size.jpg

work for me but you need to do something 

thx to shalidali55 :  h3disp -m 5 -d

working yes but before find this solution  720p50 but I have a screen 800X480 nicee same thing na ?

first go to the folder

cd /boot/bin

convert file

bin2fex orangepipc.bin orangepipc.fex

this file contain some information on boot

nano orangepipc.fex 

remplace the section 

[disp_init] and [hdmi_para] 

by mine 

[disp_init]
disp_init_enable = 1
disp_mode = 0
screen0_output_type = 3
screen0_output_mode = 5
screen1_output_type = 3
screen1_output_mode = 5
fb0_width = 800
fb0_height = 480
fb1_width = 800
fb1_height = 480

[hdmi_para]
hdmi_used = 1
hdmi_x = 800
hdmi_y = 480
hdmi_power = "vcc-hdmi-18"
hdmi_cts_compatibility = 1

after save ctrl+x + yes 

after convert back to bin

fex2bin orangepipc.fex orangepipc.bin

after this is done the kernel know your resolution now...

add this model to your armbian jessy desktop and see the Calibration option for the touchscreen 

nano /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-fbturbo.conf

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Allwinner A10/A13 FBDEV"
        Driver          "fbturbo"
        Option          "fbdev" "/dev/fb0"
        Option "OffTime" "0"
        Option          "SwapbuffersWait" "true"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
   Identifier   "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
   Identifier   "Default Screen"
   Monitor      "Configured Monitor"
   Device      "Allwinner A10/A13 FBDEV"
  Option  "Calibration"   "3869 184 141 3959"
  DefaultDepth   0
   SubSection "Display"
      Depth    0
      Modes  "800x480"
  EndSubSection
EndSection
 Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "ServerLayout0"
    Option "StandbyTime" "0"
    Option "SuspendTime" "0"
 EndSection

save

last file to edit this going to active the touchscreen

nano /etc/modules

add : 

ads7846_device model=7846 cs=1 gpio_pendown=25 speed=1000000 keep_vref_on=1 swap_xy=1 pressure_max=255 x_plate_ohms=150 x_min=184 x_max=3869 y_min=141 y_max=3959

so DONT PANIC 3 file to edit after the first armbian boot

/boot/orangepipc.bin - confirm the hdmi + the resolution ( important no resolution = white bitch screen )
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-fbturbo.conf - add the screen to the armbian desktop environnement 
/etc/modules - load the touchscreen module 

reboot and go to see why your girlfriend crying !

reply if you have question or update it possible I make some error.. I am humain...

--- ORIGINAL POST----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello everybody, thx for you help everything, this forum help me to understant armbien and my orangepi.

First, I try to pratice my english, I am french so if  something is hard to understant me, just ask me to retry.

At this moment, I have a orange pi pc and I use https://github.com/igorpecovnik/libto compile and make a .raw file.

everything look good, i use the officiel supported os and I try without make kernel custom change.

so next next next next use DD to copy the raw on the sd card... everything is good, i choose orange pi pc etc ... when is the first boot ... the red link blinking non stop not 5 minutes more then 1 hours ...

I cannont see nothing, no ssh connexion, no graphic, it just a orange pi zombie ...  I try 3 time with the dev kernel ... config everytime i have the same "bug" so we decide after 1 hour to remove the dc power, and start the orange pi again.

the console ask me some question ... everthing like good and we have a message " create the desktop environnement """ after I reboot the orangepi and nothing "no screen fund" it just a normal 1920x1080p screen.

I try h3disp doesn't exist.... wtf ?

Thx for your help bro !

Hard to say anything without logs ... better add complexity gradually:

1. Use our prebuild images,
  2. Compile custom kernel and update stock image
  3. Build your own image with stock settings
  4. Add changes to anything and rebuild.

... remember to read docs.armbian.com, forum and come forward with some logs if problems occur. For doing anything else, except using stock builds, you need at least serial console to debug.

We don't support dev kernels. There is a high probability that you need some extra patching to boot them. In this case, AFAIK H3 dev does not have video driver, so no HDMI out.

sorry about that igor, i dont take time to explain everything. http://docs.armbian.com/Hardware_Allwinner-H3/#os-images-with-vanilla-kernel-4x

allready read the problem is with the kernel 3.14 and jessie desktop ... do now i going to compile without desktrop environnement. For lcd tft screen do you think i am on the right way or i need to change os ?

(supported) TFT LCD screens should work fine, drivers are already built into kernel as modules (noted here http://www.armbian.com/orange-pi-pc-plus/#legacy ).Whatever you find on our download page should be safe to build, but keep in mind that you are using development version of our tools by default.

BTW: we are writing docs to save our time and keep forum post quality without repeating things more than needed.

thx Igor, but you know all updating very fast in software engennering.... 

I make some test and I give you the result now. when we try to create iso kernel 3.14 + jessie desktop + armbien 5.17 = the hdmi never show nothing.

but the same compilation without desktop my hdmi work well ... weird... 

We dont know what it mate ... but right now ... we have hdmi screen working, we have lxde desktop working ...

the only last thing,I have a small 5" lcd tft plug with hdmi and usb power, I try to reboot everything ... nothing working.

I know driver is integrate in your distribution but what i need to do to push the deskop on my screen.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01F4RSIA2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you have a HDMI input you probably only need to set a proper screen resolution and it should work. Use h3disp to adjust display settings. If we don't support it, it need to be added ... those are also waiting. For touch you need to check display manual and/or try methods you'll find on forum.

Is this a waveshare display ? If yes, try:

sudo h3disp -m 5 -d

and reboot

If you get get a clear display, you can set the display area to 800x480 later by modifying the script.bin file.

800X480 I want to add it my friend, what i need to do ?

Hi, I built the vanilla jessie kernel (4.6.4) for my Orange Pi PC board with and without desktop but no joy in the HDMI display. My HDMI monitor screen was just blank while the red LED was blinking for an hour before I finally gave it up and powered off. Although there was no display, somehow the Ethernet port was working as it responded to the ping from my Windows laptop on command line "ping orangepipc.mshome.net". So the kernel building exercise was not at all in vain, and I guess Igor simply needs to fix the display driver issue and update here  https://github.com/igorpecovnik/lib

My quest for the vanilla kernel was driven by the need to fix iw command under both jessie kernels 3.4.39 and 3.4.112-sun8i.

The problem I found was that whenever I typed "iw reg set GB" for example, followed by "iw reg get" the country was always country: 00 rather than  country: GB. So I think this is a bug.

I was hoping that the vanilla kernel might fix this problem, but now it seems unlikely as I can't even get it to work let alone the freq/heat problem.

It would be great if there is a fix or a workaround to the iw problem.

Thanks

Mainline H3 kernel is work in progress. HDMI video driver does not exists yet - it must be ported / made.

Current state of mainline H3 is not yet even for servers, but for testing / development only since thermal protection, one of key things, is not yet done.

Check here for more:

http://linux-sunxi.org/Linux_mainlining_effort

and use forum/google search tools.

There is nothing like "Igor must simply fix the driver". Linux is a common / community project per se, one usually work on things which knows and/or likes the best. If you wish and need some functionality, start working on it, hire / find someone (if you don't know how) and share the work. If problems would rely on one person, we would wait from months, years to never. This is how things (basically) are.

In short: development versions of kernel are not supported for end users. You are welcome to try but don't expect any stability, functions or help.

Our first official H3 build will come out when it will be usable for server cases and will be supported accordingly.

Hi Igor, I guess there is a good reason for the lack of display in the Mainline H3 Kernel. My H3 board could have been grilled had I been able to put it to work. You have rightly pointed out that this is a community project and please excuse me for my choice of words but nonetheless spelled out my expectation of your great contribution here. :)

Hi Igor, I guess there is a good reason for the lack of display in the Mainline H3 Kernel.

Yes, there are at least two - No HDMI documentation and no or GPL incompatible license for HDMI code in BSP kernel.

Nice Work! It took me al lot of time in parallel search on other items (Octoptint, motion, update, reconfig,memorycard crashing .. and again...), but the Display ist working (mostly).

I never would have get in run without your work in this thread.

Is there additional documentation about the framebuffer-device? There is a big vertical line on one side of the display. When the OPI is not running its perfectly white/grey and while init it's ok - but when ready. I am missing 3cm...

Hi all, i have same display for long time but without usb. I followed this guide and i have display up and running finaly. I still cant get touch-pad running. Did anyone managed to get that touch screen running on Orange Pi PC over SPI?

HI I just ordered the ORANGE PI PC 'plus' (+?) the plus meaning no sata? threads getting alittle mixed signals

can someone redirect me to the proper thread or page for my board. I am still waiting for the board china mail. I have experience with the RPI3 but I am rusty. Im doing my linux research, but if anyone has some good pages I'd be thankful. I am getting conflicting info regarding this particual board like I shouldn't of ordered the H3 and stuck with one of there other boards. I found alot of old threads about how poor the distros support for it was. thoughts?

been googling myself to death

thanks

T

There exists no OPi PC2 Plus (now -- will come later maybe, will have an H5 SoC and then also eMMC). And the board you were referring to is the worst choice ever since there is not SATA on these boards, it's just a slow and buggy USB-to-SATA bridge.

I know, Xunlong's naming scheme is horrible (but I assume they simply never will change that) since all the meaning depends on the order of 'PC', 'Plus' and numbers.

• OPi PC Plus is an extended version of OPi PC
  • OPi PC2 is an upgraded version of OPi PC (newer SoC and Gbit instead of Fast Ethernet)
  • OPi PC2 Plus does not (yet) exists
  • OPi Plus is something you shouldn't buy
  • OPi Plus 2 is an even worse version of OPi Plus (more RAM and eMMC and also even more expensive)
  • OPi Plus 2E is a nice board on the other hand

Better rely on linux-sunxi wiki instead (and maybe those articles here written for a reason, eg. https://forum.armbian.com/index.php/topic/1351-h3-board-buyers-guide/ )

Hi all, i have same display for long time but without usb. I followed this guide and i have display up and running finaly. I still cant get touch-pad running. Did anyone managed to get that touch screen running on Orange Pi PC over SPI?

Here's Waveshare page that describes pins used for touch device - http://www.waveshare.com/wiki/5inch_HDMI_LCD(see "Interface" section). You may want to check Raspbian configuration they provide in installer package.

Hi, im using 5" lcd whith xpt2046 touchcontroller. HDMI works, but touch still doesnt

board - Orange Pi PC Plus

kernel 3.4.113-sun8i

module  ads7846.ko at /lib/modules/3.4.113-sun8i/kernel/drivers/input/touchscreen

Spoiler

[spi0]
spi_used = 1
spi_cs_bitmap = 1
spi_mosi = port:PC00<3><default><default><default>
spi_miso = port:PC01<3><default><default><default>
spi_sclk = port:PC02<3><default><default><default>
spi_cs0 = port:PA21<1><1><default><default>

[spi1]
spi_used = 0
spi_cs_bitmap = 1
spi_cs0 = port:PA13<2><1><default><default>