New Oranges with H5 and H2+

Igor

@zador,

maybe a multimedia subsection should be made with a big red warning saying "GPU doesn't decode video" with the link to http://www.cnx-software.com/2013/12/10/most-embedded-gpus-do-not-support-hardware-video-decoding-acceleration-the-vpu-does/

This is most detailed description I could find in datasheet:

Video Engine: H5 provides multi-format high-definition video encoder/decoder with dedicated hardware,
including H.265 decoder by 4K@30fps , H.264 decoder by 4K@30fps, MPEG1/2/4 decoder by 1080p@60fps, VP8/AVS
jizhun decoder by 1080p@60fps, VC1 decoder by 1080p@30fps, H.264 encoder by 1080p@60fps.

Obviously, 10 bit HEVC is not mentioned anywhere. Of course they might just forget to state it, but until I see working 10 bit decoding, I will claim that HW acceleration of 10 bit HEVC is not possible. I'm not sure if CPU is fast enough to do it in SW.

@hojnikb,

maybe because they wanted to join 64 bit ARM hype? Easy, take H3 and change 32 bit core with 64 bit, update Mali cores and you are done. As you may noticed, sales are fuelled with marketing bullshit instead of common sense.

Obviously, 10 bit HEVC is not mentioned anywhere. Of course they might just forget to state it, but until I see working 10 bit decoding, I will claim that HW acceleration of 10 bit HEVC is not possible. I'm not sure if CPU is fast enough to do it in SW.

Thanks for taking the time to explain the situation regarding 10 Bit HEVC and Arm boards.

I love my Orange Pi One Openelec media-center. I have added a dolby 5.1 decoder and the whole experience on my projection tv is amazing. People are fainting when I tell them the media-center, core computer and Software costs $12.00.

I really do not want to display 10 bit HEVC as I think it is overkill but a lot of the 6ch surround sound movies are now only appearing in 1080p 10 bit HEVC.

So if you want to watch something in surround sound rather than wait I have to use my Ubuntu Laptop and plug the usb surround module into it.

Is there any way I can fudge or spoof Openelec for H3 into say reading the HEVC 1080p 10 bit data but say displaying 720 p with 8 bit color?

I would not mind a certain picture quality loss if it meant I could watch the film.

Seasalt

Is there any way I can fudge or spoof Openelec for H3 into say reading the HEVC 1080p 10 bit data but say displaying 720 p with 8 bit color?

I think the best way would be to reencode video on a PC or a laptop. For example, you can use ffmpeg and instruct it to copy over audio while you define 8 bit video. I don't know exactly what command to use, search the net for details.

I think the best way would be to reencode video on a PC or a laptop. For example, you can use ffmpeg and instruct it to copy over audio while you define 8 bit video. I don't know exactly what command to use, search the net for details.

Might as well get a h.264 rip from the beginning than bother re encoding the whole deal.

i'm really dissapointed at allwinner, they really dropped the ball with h5. s905/x is much much better in that regard (supports both hevc 10bit and vp9). Too bad there are no cheap SBCs around that chipset. I mean, s905x shouldn't be that expensive, if you see set top boxes with flash, case and remote for like 22-23$.

On 29/12/2016 at 0:18 PM, jernej said:

Obviously, 10 bit HEVC is not mentioned anywhere.

Its not obvious, but the other name of HEVC is H.265;   The real problem is no 10bit decoding is stated for any codec.  

So anyone has the bitdepth of the VE pipelines?   If the pipes have more than 8bit, its possible. Maybe internal modules do not support more than 8bit for certain operations then a partial decode with some kind of colorspace conversion can narrow the gap.   This one is difficult for other codecs, but HEVC spec actually has 14bitdepth internal sizes so the hardware could be sane enough and only the interfaces clip.