Kernel update procedure has been changed

Igor

3 hours ago, tobias.faust said:

unfortunally, the update script is down

Yes, because it's deprecated. Updating on our system is: apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

• Igor unpinned this topic

Thanks for all your hard work. The system has been running for several years now and I thought.. Maybe it is time for some big maintenance.. updating kernel.

I already updated from debian -> jessie.

The system now says: "Linux version 3.4.109-sunxi (root@production) (gcc version 4.8.2 (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.8.2-16ubuntu4)"

However the update && upgrade I normally use do the following: 

Reading package lists... Done
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

So it seems up to date..  Tnx for your help.

2 hours ago, sincze said:

The system has been running for several years now and I thought.. Maybe it is time for some big maintenance.. updating kernel.

Nice to hear this!

Many things have been changed in those years and it's hard to keep track. The kernel itself is usually not a problem, but board support packages scripts, boot scripts, repository, kernel packaging, ...

Perhaps the best (big maintenance) way would be to start with the clean image and on a new SD card since they die sooner or later. If your use case is a server or no video playing desktop usage it's better to use modern kernel (NEXT/MAINLINE/VANILLA). It's better in almost all possible way on A10&A20 boards.

On 2/28/2017 at 5:12 PM, odoll said:

re 3.4: change "linux-u-boot-DEVICE_NAME (cubieboard, lime-a10)" to "linux-u-boot-DEVICE_NAME-default (cubieboard, lime-a10)"

re mainline: change "linux-u-boot-next-DEVICE_NAME (cubieboard, cubietruck, lime, ...)" to "linux-u-boot-DEVICE_NAME-next (cubieboard, cubietruck, lime, ...)"

There's another typo of that sort in https://www.armbian.com/kernel/in the "Board support packages" section

(In case of stretch) instead of "linux-stretch-root-DEVICE_NAME[|next|dev]" I think it should be "linux-stretch-root-[next|dev]-DEVICE_NAME