ARMBIAN for Amlogic S905 and S905X (ver 5.44 =<)

balbes150

3 hours ago, thc013 said:

Cannot find the serial port

it is a x96 board with pcb version s905x v 1.1

front.jpg

I cannot find it too....
but there is something make me curious, i saw two audio port jack 3,5" in the corner right bellow.
is that Audio Jack 3,5" to connect to Headphone or Eksternal Speaker?

1 hour ago, sukanime said:

is that Audio Jack 3,5" to connect to Headphone or Eksternal Speaker?

It's for the IR receiver which is not integrated on the board.

I got this box too and I can confirm that it works well with balbes150 image (just test with mate, but downloaded latest with xfce). I just modified lowest freq to 250MHz instead of 100, since I found it not very responsive for a desktop usage.

34 minutes ago, jeanrhum said:

It's for the IR receiver which is not integrated on the board.

I got this box too and I can confirm that it works well with balbes150 image (just test with mate, but downloaded latest with xfce). I just modified lowest freq to 250MHz instead of 100, since I found it not very responsive for a desktop usage.

too bad, i just take interest with the box, if it could connect to eksternal speaker to the jack 3,5", i can use it to play Audio ( like online radio, etc ) without using my TV, to save more power.
btw, are you using "S9xxx_4G_ICEWM_MATE_XFCE_LXDE_LXQT_20170129.img.xz" ( https://yadi.sk/d/srrtn6kpnsKz2/Linux ) ? can i ask you about VLC player with video output using X11(XCB), can you play video smooth?

the armbian image is the only image where the usb port works well with the t3 air mouse

and the other thing was that it was sold as 2gb but it has only 1gb memory they even faked it in android

and only on 4pda there is some information for that board but 500+ pages in russian not very handy to search

30 minutes ago, thc013 said:

the armbian image is the only image where the usb port works well with the t3 air mouse

and the other thing was that it was sold as 2gb but it has only 1gb memory they even faked it in android

and only on 4pda there is some information for that board but 500+ pages in russian not very handy to search

OMG..... thanks for the info....

5 minutes ago, Shimon said:

Yes, that's exactly it. An A/V composite + stereo audio 3.5mm socket. The other one is an IR socket indeed.

That's good news, but the fake 2GB mentioned by thc013, that's make me doesn't want to buy it.

Added a new image test\20170423 kernel 4.11 (a link to the discussion of the kernel on the forum Khadas VIM).

http://forum.khadas.com/t/state-of-linux-mainline-opengl-on-s905x/497/13

It has an output on the monitor. Pay attention that s905x USB not working yet, so the picture is there, but mouse and keyboard do not work, can only be controlled via ssh or UART and the launch is possible only with SD card. When choosing dtb recommend to check all the options files (for your platform). S905 works on USB so you can run a full desktop with mouse and keyboard and USB drives. Details and other images will come later (as long as there is Assembly, testing and loading).

3 minutes ago, Shimon said:

@balbes150 Searching the forum for Devuan yields just two results, so there's probably not much chance of seeing a Devuan based image?  

Did you try install Sysvinit manually and uninstall systemd? There are many ways to use a different initialization system instead, systemd.

22 minutes ago, talraash said:

Did you try install Sysvinit manually and uninstall systemd?

I've seen this suggested before but I have doubts if it's still applicable to the Debian of today.

I'll probably have to experiment with Jessie based images.

5 hours ago, Shimon said:

Yes, that's exactly it. An A/V composite + stereo audio 3.5mm socket. The other one is an IR socket indeed.

I can confirm that I use AV output for audio speaker and that I have 1.8GB reported in armbian since I have 2GB/16GB version of X96.

11 minutes ago, jeanrhum said:

I can confirm that I use AV output for audio speaker and that I have 1.8GB reported in armbian since I have 2GB/16GB version of X96.

Thanks for the info.
i will put X96 to my wishlist to buy.

jfi, my Mini M8S 2GB/16GB box have ~1,8GB RAM too...

root@MiniM8S:~# free -m
              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:           1782         907         129          56         745         773
Swap:          2939         195        2744
root@MiniM8S:~#

Hello @balbes150

Great work with these Amlogic images.

I've been using one of the 5.26 server flavour ones you published with docker on it ( the new docker-ce from their xenial repo ) with great success ( overlay fs ).

I would have a little request if you don't mind.

Could you include these patches for various device trees from kszaq ( the maintainer of the libreelec image for amlogic ) : https://github.com/kszaq/s905-device-trees

The patches are made against the 3.14 kernel tree used by libreelec amlogic images.

I am actually more interested in the "gxbb_p200_2G_100M_RealtekWiFi.patch" patch.

It's specific to a S905 board with 2G RAM, non gigabit ethernet, realtek wifi chip and without bluetooth.

WiFi was somehow working when using the the gxbb_p200_2G dtb but ethernet wasn't at all.

I have successfully adapted it to gxbb_p200_2G.dts from a previous git pull of your amlogic kernel repo and ethernet/wifi is 100% functional :

https://pastebin.com/GkB6aa07

https://pastebin.com/zFe10drB

But since you recently switched to the 4.10/4.11/4.12 kernels, I wouldn't know if the mainline kernel does take into account these specific variations of the p200 amlogic boards ( 100M ethernet + realtek wifi ).

I gave it a go a while back with the 4.10 kernel but although the compilation was successful, I couldn't boot it and couldn't figure out what was going wrong without UART console ...

Thanks again for the great work!

22 hours ago, Shimon said:

Searching the forum for Devuan yields just two results, so there's probably not much chance of seeing a Devuan based image?  

How justified are the costs of time creating this image ?

17 hours ago, zamrih said:

Could you include these patches for various device trees from kszaq

I will look at them.

17 hours ago, zamrih said:

I gave it a go a while back with the 4.10 kernel but although the compilation was successful, I couldn't boot it and couldn't figure out what was going wrong without UART console ...

Try the latest test images, there are different variants of the dtb. And you can try to add Your patches.

3 hours ago, balbes150 said:

Yeah, haven't tried that yet. Could be trivial or a huge maintenance burden.

3 hours ago, balbes150 said:

meson-gxbb-p200-lan.dtb

Not too helpful a name, judging from @zamrih's post it's meant to make a difference for 100M LAN and/or Realtek WiFi?

12 hours ago, Shimon said:

Not too helpful a name, judging from @zamrih's post it's meant to make a difference for 100M LAN and/or Realtek WiFi?

This dtb file only applies to version the latest test images (test\20170423). In these images the latest kernel version 4.11.0+ (source from Neil Armstrong). These images are based on kernel contains a working version of HDMI (the monitor). The original boxes with S905 (Vega S95 , MXQ ) is a complete desktop, USB works (mouse and keyboard), running a wired network. The system successfully starts from USB drives and SD cards. Thus, I believe that it is almost working system  kernel 4.x for office and server use. While there is one (for me) the problem is not working USB chips S905X and S912, which does not allow to use these images as desktop.

By the way. I have a request to all is to try to run those images on their TV boxes and write results. This will help to accelerate the development of a new kernel on Amlogic platform. Obtained information I will give Neil Armstrong and the rest of the kernel developers.

9 hours ago, balbes150 said:

By the way. I have a request to all is to try to run those images on their TV boxes and write results. This will help to accelerate the development of a new kernel on Amlogic platform. Obtained information I will give Neil Armstrong and the rest of the kernel developers.

I will be willing and like to try it, but i cannot download from Yadi with my slow intenet phone, it took 1 days or 2 days to download it and it will make the Yadi Link expired.
So, if some one willing to put your Images on MediaFire or SolidFiles so i can download it, i will be very happy to try the Images.
i have Samsung EVO 32GB and Samsung 8GB SDCard, its not used right now. so i can use it to try the Images.

2 hours ago, sukanime said:

So, if some one willing to put your Images on MediaFire or SolidFiles

Second that, yandex causes all sorts of problems. Only recently have I overcome the problem with downloads not starting (Load denied by X-Frame-Options) by setting 

network.http.enforce-framing.soft

to false in firefox.  No idea how to make it work in chromium, though.

Hi Balbes150, 

Its been great to have these images to run debian and ubuntu on my nexbox a95 (I have an s905 1gb/8gb and an s905x 2gb/8gb). I have not been able to get the 4.X kernel based images to boot, the last I tried was dated 4-23. Previously I had been able to boot the s905x with the 3.14 kernel without touching the dtb files. On the s905 I had to place my original dtb.img in the BOOTFS partition which would allow me to boot the 3.14 images as well. With the 4.X kernel neither will boot (regardless of whether or not I use my original dtb.img) Is there something I am missing?

5 hours ago, fampton said:

Hi Balbes150, 

Its been great to have these images to run debian and ubuntu on my nexbox a95 (I have an s905 1gb/8gb and an s905x 2gb/8gb). I have not been able to get the 4.X kernel based images to boot, the last I tried was dated 4-23. Previously I had been able to boot the s905x with the 3.14 kernel without touching the dtb files. On the s905 I had to place my original dtb.img in the BOOTFS partition which would allow me to boot the 3.14 images as well. With the 4.X kernel neither will boot (regardless of whether or not I use my original dtb.img) Is there something I am missing?

You need to use the dtb files only part of the image (from a catalog dtb). There is a file to s905 (meson-gxbb-) and for s905x (meson-gxl-). All the old files (from the firmware) or version 3.14 - new kernel not working.

On 24/04/2017 at 3:27 PM, balbes150 said:

I will look at them.

Try the latest test images, there are different variants of the dtb. And you can try to add Your patches.

Hello balbes150,

The 20170424 image 4.11 Test does boot but unfortunately there was issues with both wired and wireless network.

The provided meson-gxbb-p200-lan.dtb didn't change things as I believe from the sources, the corresponding dts file was still using the "rgmii" ( gigabit ) mode whereas "mii" is the 100M one specific to the p200 board variation.

&ethmac {
	status = "okay";
	pinctrl-0 = <&eth_rgmii_pins>;
	pinctrl-names = "default";
	phy-handle = <&eth_phy0>;
	phy-mode = "rgmii";

snps,reset-gpio = <&gpio GPIOZ_14 0>;
	snps,reset-delays-us = <0 10000 1000000>;
	snps,reset-active-low;

amlogic,tx-delay-ns = <2>;

mdio {
		compatible = "snps,dwmac-mdio";
		#address-cells = <1>;
		#size-cells = <0>;

eth_phy0: ethernet-phy@0 {
			reg = <0>;
			eee-broken-1000t;
		};
	};
};

The "amlogic,tx-delay-ns" part as well as eee-broken-1000t are not necessary from what I could find as they're specific to gigabit cards.

Combining the previous patch and ethmac section from p201 board dts file results in having this p200-100m dts ethmac :

&ethmac {
	status = "okay";
	pinctrl-0 = <&eth_rmii_pins>;
	pinctrl-names = "default";
	phy-mode = "rmii";
	mc_val = <0x1800>;

snps,reset-gpio = <&gpio GPIOZ_14 0>;
	snps,reset-delays-us = <0 10000 1000000>;
	snps,reset-active-low;
};

The only unconfirmed part is the "mac_val" key value pair.

According to this : https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/9198613/

One can understand that it's how the mac address is fetched from the device tree but I am especially having trouble with that exact part.

The mac address is randomized after each reboot ( possibly after each time the stmmac module is added as from the kernel module source, it is if it's invalid : http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/stmmac_main.c#L1554 ).

root@box:~# dmesg | grep mac
[    0.000000] Kernel command line: root=LABEL=ROOTFS rootflags=data=writeback rw console=ttyAML0,115200n8 console=tty0 no_console_suspend consoleblank=0 fsck.repair=yes net.ifnames=0 mac=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
[    3.262237] meson8b-dwmac c9410000.ethernet: PTP uses main clock
[    3.262621] meson8b-dwmac c9410000.ethernet: no reset control found
[    3.269442] stmmac - user ID: 0x11, Synopsys ID: 0x37
[    3.275580] meson8b-dwmac c9410000.ethernet: Ring mode enabled
[    3.279729] meson8b-dwmac c9410000.ethernet: DMA HW capability register supported
[    3.293318] meson8b-dwmac c9410000.ethernet: Normal descriptors
[    3.299267] meson8b-dwmac c9410000.ethernet: RX Checksum Offload Engine supported
[    3.306571] meson8b-dwmac c9410000.ethernet: COE Type 2
[    3.311740] meson8b-dwmac c9410000.ethernet: TX Checksum insertion supported
[    3.318692] meson8b-dwmac c9410000.ethernet: Wake-Up On Lan supported
[    3.325078] meson8b-dwmac c9410000.ethernet: Enable RX Mitigation via HW Watchdog Timer
[    3.342201] libphy: stmmac: probed
[    3.342248] meson8b-dwmac c9410000.ethernet (unnamed net_device) (uninitialized): PHY ID 02430c54 at 0 IRQ POLL (stmmac-0:00) active
[   12.603340] meson8b-dwmac c9410000.ethernet eth0: device MAC address 16:35:12:93:bd:5f
[   12.603757] Generic PHY stmmac-0:00: attached PHY driver [Generic PHY] (mii_bus:phy_addr=stmmac-0:00, irq=-1)
[   12.704628] meson8b-dwmac c9410000.ethernet eth0: PTP not supported by HW
[   13.733161] meson8b-dwmac c9410000.ethernet eth0: Link is Up - 100Mbps/Full - flow control rx/tx
[   15.005853] Generic PHY stmmac-0:00: attached PHY driver [Generic PHY] (mii_bus:phy_addr=stmmac-0:00, irq=-1)
[   15.104644] meson8b-dwmac c9410000.ethernet eth0: PTP not supported by HW
[   17.157141] meson8b-dwmac c9410000.ethernet eth0: Link is Up - 100Mbps/Full - flow control rx/tx

It looks however like it's correctly fetched with or without the mc_val property at the u-boot level when checking the kernel boot command line ( from the internal memory I presume ... read that on one post of yours ).

root@box:~# cat /proc/cmdline 
root=LABEL=ROOTFS rootflags=data=writeback rw console=ttyAML0,115200n8 console=tty0 no_console_suspend consoleblank=0 fsck.repair=yes net.ifnames=0 mac=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX

As of the wifi, the 8189es module from amlogic ( "drivers/amlogic/wifi/rtl8192ES/" ) was the one working on the 3.14 kernel.

I don't know which module should work with the 4.11 ( 4.10+ ? ) kernel but it looks like "rtlwifi" set of modules was not compiled.

I did compile those modules alone but I can't find which one to use or if rtlwifi is at all what should be used ( no 8192es but 8192SE and 8192CU ).

4.11 :

CONFIG_RTL8192CE=m
CONFIG_RTL8192SE=m
CONFIG_RTL8192DE=m
CONFIG_RTL8192EE=m
CONFIG_RTL8192CU=m
CONFIG_RTL8192C_COMMON=m
CONFIG_RTL8192U=m
CONFIG_RTL8192E=m

3.14 :

CONFIG_RTL8192EU=m
CONFIG_RTL8192CU=m
CONFIG_RTL8192DU=m
CONFIG_RTL8192C_COMMON=m

Here are the dts files I used for reference :

arch/arm64/boot/dts/amlogic/meson-gxbb-p20x-2g.dtsi

https://pastebin.com/5Emm8RMm

arch/arm64/boot/dts/amlogic/meson-gxbb-p200-2g.dts

https://pastebin.com/V1U0PFJL

arch/arm64/boot/dts/amlogic/meson-gxbb-p200-2g-100m.dts

https://pastebin.com/5UDcS7HY

There's an extra dtsi file specifically for the 2g ram variation as the meson-gxbb-p20x.dtsi hard code 1g ram only.

On a side note, don't how to reproduce the issue, but I noticed a hissing sound when plugging the box a tv via hdmi.

Possibly when the box did boot already and plugging it afterwards to a tv ...

One last thing about kernel compilation. It would be hugely helpful for testing and for upgrading as well to be able to build deb packages that one and everyone could install to test.
You wouldn't need to cook new images for kernel testing that way.

Try to look for this : make -j4 deb-pkg ( or make -j4 Image dtbs modules deb-pkg ) in the set_make script

The tricky part would surely cooking the correct initrd and uInitrd files.

Hello everyone!

I installed the Ubuntu server img on my Mini M8s II (s905x).

Being able to run Linux on these box is awesome so thanks to all contributors to make it happen!

I want to use it as my Plex Media Server,  so I installed it, it's online and it works.

However I have issues with transcoding. I know the box is able to read HEVC encoded video up to 10 bits (I was using LibreElec + Kodi before, and all videos worked).

Here I can't even play a simple HEVC video. Is there anything to install in addition to plexmediaserver ?

Thanks again. :)

I have a s905x with 2g/8g from nexbox. I want to run linux on it to use in the field to console into servers and network equipment.  Do you have a premade installable working distribution for this that can boot from internal source or perhaps from a usb 3.0 external drive?

On 26.04.2017 at 10:36 PM, zamrih said:

The "amlogic,tx-delay-ns" part as well as eee-broken-1000t are not necessary from what I could find as they're specific to gigabit cards.

Without these settings on my Vega S95 does not work wired network.

As of the wifi, the 8189es module from amlogic ( "drivers/amlogic/wifi/rtl8192ES/" ) was the one working on the 3.14 kernel.

I don't know which module should work with the 4.11 ( 4.10+ ? ) kernel but it looks like "rtlwifi" set of modules was not compiled.

I did compile those modules alone but I can't find which one to use or if rtlwifi is at all what should be used ( no 8192es but 8192SE and 8192CU ).

As far as I know, there no full support for WiFi in this kernel version.

One last thing about kernel compilation. It would be hugely helpful for testing and for upgrading as well to be able to build deb packages that one and everyone could install to test.
You wouldn't need to cook new images for kernel testing that way.

Try to look for this : make -j4 deb-pkg ( or make -j4 Image dtbs modules deb-pkg ) in the set_make script

The tricky part would surely cooking the correct initrd and uInitrd files.

When building image automatically are going to need a dtb packages. If needed, I can additionally download. But keep in mind that the images appear changes that can't pass through the packets.

The best option to test - build your version of the image in place or build the kernel.

On 26.04.2017 at 11:21 PM, jgoux said:

Here I can't even play a simple HEVC video. Is there anything to install in addition to plexmediaserver ?

For this you need to build binary files with support for acceleration. In a regular network reach such packages no.

7 hours ago, Phil Myles said:

I have a s905x with 2g/8g from nexbox. I want to run linux on it to use in the field to console into servers and network equipment.  Do you have a premade installable working distribution for this that can boot from internal source or perhaps from a usb 3.0 external drive?

All threads in this section dedicated to this.

To enable BT. You need to perform two steps.

1. Add to /etc/modules to list the module

hci_uart

2. Add to the end of the initialization script (/boot/amlogics905x_init.sh) string

su -c 'hciattach /dev/ttyS1 any'

After a reboot should turn on BT.

Information taken from this instruction The remaining steps in this manual you do NOT need to, everything you need is already in all desktop images Armbian.

http://forum.khadas.com/t/add-bluetooth-support-for-ubuntu/593

Gathered test a system image using the kernel 4.11 and GUI SATO. As the source code use GIT meta-meson (Neil Armstrong). To use the TV box must be already activated multiupload.

1. Download

2. Unpack

3. Burn image on SD card

4. To add to the recorded media dtb file from the site (with the name "dtb.img").

Pay attention while you can only use two files (for the two platforms), which is on the site next to the image. The dtb files included in the image don't work. Additionally you need to download and copy to the media script s905_autoscript. On the platform s905X not working USB, so you can only manage via SSH or the console UART. On the platform s905 (tested on Vega S95) has one port USB\otg (on the Vega models it's near the SD card), which can connect either the mouse or the keyboard, or you can burn the image to a USB flash drive and use the flash drive as a carrier (when all control is only possible through SSH or the UART conosle). Pay attention after burning the image and running the system will NOT automatically expand the partition to the entire media, it must be done manually on the PC. The root password is missing when you login to terminal from login. Wired network works on both platforms (s905 and s905x). When you start the graphic shell SATO perhaps from its damping, as will be brought down hours, you must reboot (WITHOUT turning off) , or activate the mouse.

https://yadi.sk/d/f5HsAL913HYksf