ARMBIAN for Amlogic S905 and S905X (ver 5.44 =<)

balbes150

I notice in first boot partition following files are present (after I added s905_autoscript and dtb.img)

# ls -alrt
total 15876
drwxr-xr-x 50 root root     4096 Mar 18 19:43 ..
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 16073280 May  2 13:59 uImage
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root    18053 May  2 13:59 meson-gxbb-vega-s95-telos.dtb
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root    18049 May  2 13:59 meson-gxbb-vega-s95-pro.dtb
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root    18049 May  2 13:59 meson-gxbb-vega-s95-meta.dtb
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root    18928 May  2 13:59 meson-gxbb-p201.dtb
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root    18992 May  2 13:59 meson-gxbb-p200.dtb
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root    18650 May  2 13:59 meson-gxbb-odroidc2.dtb
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root    19028 May  2 13:59 meson-gxbb-nexbox-a95x.dtb
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root      935 May  2 17:15 s905_autoscript
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root    20728 May  2 17:15 dtb.img
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root    16384 May  2 20:53 .

Is that correct amount of files?

I ask because usually I also see files like (with kernel version appended)

zImage
aml_autoscript
initrd.img
config
System.map

Just to be sure ...

FYI:

on S905 MiniMX G, I used S905.dtb as dtb.img (size 20728) and s905_autoscript (size 935) using toothpick

(as I always do to boot from SD card) but the system booted into recovery.

Is Amlogic_s905-kernel.git up to date? If so which config file shall I choose?

Thanks for the great work !

11 hours ago, Nofan Tasi said:

Is that correct amount of files?

Yes, this is the right part. To successfully run this image only need three files. It is used packed in the old format a kernel without Initrd. So configured Yocto build environment that would compile a kernel without Initrd. I have not yet figured out how can in this environment to change, is to collect a full set of files.

9 hours ago, Nofan Tasi said:

on S905 MiniMX G, I used S905.dtb as dtb.img (size 20728) and s905_autoscript (size 935) using toothpick

(as I always do to boot from SD card) but the system booted into recovery.

Is Amlogic_s905-kernel.git up to date? If so which config file shall I choose?

Pay attention to run this image in the TV console must be activated multiboot with other images Armbian.

That is to use the floss, you can try to rename the script s905_autoscript in aml_autoscript. But I this option is not checked.

The kernel used in this image is the version next-20170502 from git this with my modified config.

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/next/linux-next.git/

On 5/2/2017 at 9:09 PM, balbes150 said:

Gathered test a system image using the kernel 4.11 and GUI SATO. As the source code use GIT meta-meson (Neil Armstrong). To use the TV box must be already activated multiupload.

1. Download

2. Unpack

3. Burn image on SD card

4. To add to the recorded media dtb file from the site (with the name "dtb.img").

Pay attention while you can only use two files (for the two platforms), which is on the site next to the image. The dtb files included in the image don't work. Additionally you need to download and copy to the media script s905_autoscript. On the platform s905X not working USB, so you can only manage via SSH or the console UART. On the platform s905 (tested on Vega S95) has one port USB\otg (on the Vega models it's near the SD card), which can connect either the mouse or the keyboard, or you can burn the image to a USB flash drive and use the flash drive as a carrier (when all control is only possible through SSH or the UART conosle). Pay attention after burning the image and running the system will NOT automatically expand the partition to the entire media, it must be done manually on the PC. The root password is missing when you login to terminal from login. Wired network works on both platforms (s905 and s905x). When you start the graphic shell SATO perhaps from its damping, as will be brought down hours, you must reboot (WITHOUT turning off) , or activate the mouse.

https://yadi.sk/d/f5HsAL913HYksf

Because Its only 150MB, so i can download it.
So here my thought after try it on my Mini M8S (S905 with LibreELEC 7.0 in internal MMC) + Samsung 8GB Micro SD Card + Samsung LCD TV 32" LA32D550

1. No Sound, my Box using AML_M8 Sound card.
I try using USB Soundcard called 3D Audio ( 0d8c:013c C-Media Electronics, Inc. CM108 Audio Controller ) - price around 2 USD
the USB Soundcard detected on dmesg but still No Sound when i play Wav Audio with Simple Music Player:

[    3.456970] input: C-Media Electronics Inc.       USB PnP Sound Device as /devices/platform/soc/c9100000.usb/usb2/2-1/2-1:1.3/0003:0D8C:013C.0003/input/input2
[    3.529206] hid-generic 0003:0D8C:013C.0003: input: USB HID v1.00 Device [C-Media Electronics Inc.       USB PnP Sound Device] on usb-c9100000.usb-1/input3
[    3.539113] meson-gx-mmc d0070000.mmc: error parsing DT: -517

2. No Wireless and Bluetooth, My Box using RTL8723BS

3. I have One Magenta Vertical line on the left side on my Monitor.

4. When i turn off, it leave White Blank Monitor.

5. Bugs - When i leave My Mini M8S Box for Lunch around 30 minute, then when i go back My Monitor goes Blank with "No Signal",
I try to Wake Up my Mini M8S by pressing Key on Keyboard and moving my Mouse, but My Box doesn't Wake Up.

6. I Have cheap USB 2.0 Hubs with 4 Ports connected, but its not detected.
I have try on both my USB Port, and its still not detected.

What I liked about sdimage-SATO-201705021359, its doesn't have Blank Screen when booting starting from Google TV logo to Desktop.
( I don't like the Blank Screen on Armbian_5.27_S9xxx_Ubuntu_xenial_3.14.29_mate_20170323 and  S9xxx_4G_ICEWM_MATE_XFCE_LXDE_LXQT_20170129 )

Update test images kernel 4.11+ (20170504). No significant changes noticed. Added to the site directory "deb" , there are packages to upgrade (for those who already have images from 20170424 kernel 4.11). To upgrade just download the kernel package and install it via "dpkg -i". The update happens automatically. Pay attention because the BOOT is small, you need to update to move out all unnecessary files. I recommend to make a full copy of all files in case of errors.

1 hour ago, sukanime said:

Because Its only 150MB, so i can download it.
So here my thought after try it on my Mini M8S (S905 with LibreELEC 7.0 in internal MMC) + Samsung 8GB Micro SD Card + Samsung LCD TV 32" LA32D550

1. No Sound, my Box using AML_M8 Sound card.
I try using USB Soundcard called 3D Audio ( 0d8c:013c C-Media Electronics, Inc. CM108 Audio Controller ) - price around 2 USD
the USB Soundcard detected on dmesg but still No Sound when i play Wav Audio with Simple Music Player:

[    3.456970] input: C-Media Electronics Inc.       USB PnP Sound Device as /devices/platform/soc/c9100000.usb/usb2/2-1/2-1:1.3/0003:0D8C:013C.0003/input/input2
[    3.529206] hid-generic 0003:0D8C:013C.0003: input: USB HID v1.00 Device [C-Media Electronics Inc.       USB PnP Sound Device] on usb-c9100000.usb-1/input3
[    3.539113] meson-gx-mmc d0070000.mmc: error parsing DT: -517

2. No Wireless and Bluetooth, My Box using RTL8723BS

3. I have One Magenta Vertical line on the left side on my Monitor.

4. When i turn off, it leave White Blank Monitor.

5. Bugs - When i leave My Mini M8S Box for Lunch around 30 minute, then when i go back My Monitor goes Blank with "No Signal",
I try to Wake Up my Mini M8S by pressing Key on Keyboard and moving my Mouse, but My Box doesn't Wake Up.

6. I Have cheap USB 2.0 Hubs with 4 Ports connected, but its not detected.
I have try on both my USB Port, and its still not detected.

What I liked about sdimage-SATO-201705021359, its doesn't have Blank Screen when booting starting from Google TV logo to Desktop.
( I don't like the Blank Screen on Armbian_5.27_S9xxx_Ubuntu_xenial_3.14.29_mate_20170323 and  S9xxx_4G_ICEWM_MATE_XFCE_LXDE_LXQT_20170129 )

This image is NOT for use as a complete system. This is only test images to assess the performance of the new kernel.

27 minutes ago, balbes150 said:

This image is NOT for use as a complete system. This is only test images to assess the performance of the new kernel.

Yes i know that, but eventually you will make it as complete system, so i list what i thought.
so you can add it to the kernel, like sound moludes driver, wifi modules driver, etc

but if that not what you want from the user that trying out the kernel, i will not test it anymore. ^_^

For the news about our TV boxes:
Lakka has now ready-made images for game consoles emulation.

Based on LibreELEC.

Our boxes have enough guts, so it may be a good use as an emulation station.

Sounds good, but i have NOT tested it.

i posted  a question a few posts back that i couldn't find the serial port of a box . still didn't find it

But i got a little futher with that box the original image shows 2 gigabyte of memory and armbian and everything else says it is a 1 gigabyte board

so i openend it up and found h5tq2g63dfa 2 gigabit memoy modules so 4x2 makes 8 and 8 is 1 gigabyte so in my opinion the others are right and the original is tempered because it shows 2 gigabyte

so finnaly after searching i found the tempered original image for that 1 gig faked as 2 gig board

https://mega.nz/#!vhQmAJhb!zL_E5NHYconOsuAczfz43-LNq0urbNmyFilr18z7qRY comes from this thread http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-support/amlogic-based-tv-players/s905x/593186-purchased-xgody-x96-2g-16g-from-ebay/page8

now my question is where to look how they tempred it with would it be the dtb or uboot or the ddr.usb file ?

14 hours ago, thc013 said:

original image shows 2 gigabyte of memory

The original image is the regular firmware Android, which is installed by the seller ?

I think that the manufacturer deliberately removed the UART, that would have been impossible to get the correct info about the real parameters. Primary memory is described in u-boot (in settings). Also the memory settings described in the dtb (the kernel itself).

yup that is the image and played a little with it major difference is that uses /dev/tee and so far i think it is done in the kernel somehow because if i change uboot or something it still says 2 gigabyte but if i use another kernel it wont boot if i use the flashed partions setup if i flash another x96 image all kernel boot execept the vencent one

You can try to use a dtb file, which shows 1 GB of memory. If Your kernel with this file will show again 2 GB, then the kernel specially for a deceit sewn straight figure.

When I run on the TV box (with real 2GB memory) system with dtb, which shows 1 GB, the system and the kernel shows 1 GB.

well with armbian it only boots with 1 gb dtb when i try a 2g dtb it wont boot it is only 2gb with specific android image with kernel in it named vincent@ubuntu

i once get a error in ota tool in android that it could not flash the image because it was 2gb image and 1gb board that was then i tried the 1gb dtb's and got succes of booting armbian libreelec etc

and very annoying that i cant find serial so will try if adb makes some more info

1 other weird thing can backup everything with trwp but when i backup that specific image always system got corrupted with untarring only big difference i see that the fake 2gb android image use /dev/tee

Balbes, what do you think about Khadas Vim, i preordered this board in november 2016, i do like it, they have updated android to nougat, but i did bought it because of the Linux support.

They have released only 1 Ubuntu Mate image so far, and i expected a little more from them, i want to use this board as desktop pc, not as replacement, but to use it for less demanding stuff, where x86 raw power isn't needed.

Their Ubuntu Mate rom released in february isn't better than Armbian images provided by you, it's bad when you realize that this is an official release.

Do you believe that they will solve all those issues that most sbc suffer from, 2d/3d acceleration, hardware video decoding and stuff like that?

I know you have this board, and i don't want to spam Vim forum, but this is getting a little disappointing, Ubuntu 18.04 will be released before they release another image?

Tapatalk

My opinion of Khadas VIM positive. The team that is working on this project is not large, but very active and contact. Creating full-screen support HW video playback in Linux is not as simple as it seems at first glance. IMHO I do not see this as of paramount importance, for this is the LE (they work great together). With all the other tasks work desktop, the system already works. On the project Armbian (Ubuntu\Debian for ARM) a lot of people working. In my opinion this system is quite efficient. Armbian and official releases of Ubuntu (Khadas) are not competitors. Between them there is a mutually beneficial exchange of improvements. By the way, if You are interested in a lightweight desktop + KODI (with videoscream that plays full screen video), there is a project based on ArchLinux + KODI. This project is just beginning to develop, but I already tried it and can say that the system is quite interesting and promising. While it has flaws, but the potential is good.

I do understand that it's not an easy job, you don't even have proper support from hardware manufacturers.

I would like to be able to play 1080p videos in browser, edit documents, listen to music, editing photos and maybe even a little video editing.

I rarely play games, so this system makes it great for me, i believe all of this should be possible on Vim.

I do not like to use Le, i do not want to use Kodi only Os, i want more from the Os.

The reason why i want Ubuntu or Debian or some third distribution is because Android isn't a desktop Os, it's harder to use and achieve many things in the system designed for touch screen devices.

Maybe i am asking too much, this is my first sbc, but i think it needs to be possible.

Tapatalk

1 hour ago, balbes150 said:

The new version of images Armbian (Test\20170519) kernel 4.9.26 models S905X and S912. In these images works HDMI USB network.

Great to have HDMI USB networking 4.x kernel working!

Is there a technical reason why model S905 is not included?

I suppose the code is from amlogic branch in your kernel repository, right?

I also see kernel 4.12.0-next in Armbian (Test\20170516+) ... can you tell something about it?

Hi Marc.

S905 works well for the main kernel 4.11\4.12 (and thus the images collected on these branches, in such images as the title indicated 4.11). It has support for USB to S905 and running HDMI and wired network.

They have the opportunity to use MALI.

38 minutes ago, balbes150 said:

Hi Marc.

S905 works well for the main kernel 4.11\4.12 (and thus the images collected on these branches, in such images as the title indicated 4.11). It has support for USB to S905 and running HDMI and wired network.

They have the opportunity to use MALI.

Thanks Oleg,

Which .config do you recommend for main kernel 4.12 ?

Would the config-4.12.0-next-20170516+ I found in the Armbian (Test\20170516+) first partition be fine or do you propose another one?

Have a nice day.

Version update images with kernel 3.14 (20170524). The changes are not large.

1. Updated packages to current versions in repo.

2. Changed the name of the initialization script monitor (HDMI). Now this script has the same name (/boot/hdmi.sh) in all images (s8xxx\s9xxx).

This will allow to use the GUI to change screen resolution in c DE.

On 2017-05-19 at 10:33 AM, balbes150 said:

S905 works well for the main kernel 4.11\4.12

BTW, sorry for the stupid questions, where those images are located ? Why they are not part of Armbian build tools ?

@balbes150 What's the recommended dtb file for M8S mini S905? I've been testing a relatively recent desktop image + gxbb_p200_2G which works fine on both MXQ Pro+ and Beelink MiniMXIII but M8S ends up with a non-functioning LAN.

The image that I normally use (3.14.79 based) + the old dtb format M8S file, brings up wired LAN just fine so it looks like a wrong dtb file.

I think it shouldn't matter the same image ran on those other boxes I'd mentioned?

15 hours ago, martinayotte said:

sorry for the stupid questions, where those images are located ? Why they are not part of Armbian build tools ?

Test images are here.

https://yadi.sk/d/kZHc0uQE34z5jR

Assembly environment, enabling all variants to be here. To build with kernel 4.x should I use Amlogics905x - Next or Dev.

https://github.com/150balbes/lib

15 hours ago, Shimon said:

What's the recommended dtb file for M8S mini S905? I've been testing a relatively recent desktop image + gxbb_p200_2G which works fine on both MXQ Pro+ and Beelink MiniMXIII but M8S ends up with a non-functioning LAN.

Specify which versions of the images on M8S is not working network ? What version of network card in M8S - 100 or 1000 ?