ARMBIAN for Amlogic S905 and S905X (ver 5.44 =<)

balbes150

Just now i found that i cannot break it either with CTRL+C

not only "sudo modprobe dhd" but any command i run after this....

For example: i run the dhd thing, i couldn't break it so i close the terminal with xkill
After that i opened a new terminal and run "sudo nano /etc/modules"

i never got nano to take over the terminal screen, and i couldn't break this terminal either.

So something very weird is going on after the dhd thing to my system.

10 minutes ago, xXx said:

Just now i found that i cannot break it either with CTRL+C

not only "sudo modprobe dhd" but any command i run after this....

For example: i run the dhd thing, i couldn't break it so i close the terminal with xkill
After that i opened a new terminal and run "sudo nano /etc/modules"

i never got nano to take over the terminal screen, and i couldn't break this terminal either.

So something very weird is going on after the dhd thing to my system.

What version of image (date) you have worked with WiFi ?

EDIT:
After booting this same image a third time here are some interesting facts.

The wifi is now connecting . This was the case with the not long ago tested images but i was trying things and i was not sure. This time i didn't changed anything and wifi started working.

Reboot and shutdown is also worked now ( in the 2 previous boots was coming dekstop back in a loop ).

Right now i did changed the audio /etc/pulse/default.pa the line load-module module-udev-detect (remove the tsched=0).

Another thing is that one core is always 100%

7 minutes ago, balbes150 said:

What version of image (date) you have worked with WiFi ?

Is always the same image "Armbian_5.27_S9xxx_Ubuntu_xenial_3.14.29_mate_KODI_20170623.img"

The problem seems to be with sudo.
When i run commands without sudo, all is good and snappy

If i run the same command with sudo, the terminal stays there for ever.

Something must be wrong with users and groups i imagine.

Also:

Eth0 seems to be succesfully connected although i have no ethernet cable plugged to the system!!! , and wifi is not going nowhere ( only connecting with right ip's and all ).

5 minutes ago, xXx said:

The problem seems to be with sudo.
When i run commands without sudo, all is good and snappy

If i run the same command with sudo, the terminal stays there for ever.

Something must be wrong with users and groups i imagine.

Also:

Eth0 seems to be succesfully connected although i have no ethernet cable plugged to the system!!! , and wifi is not going nowhere ( only connecting with right ip's and all ).

IMHO it is better not to use "sudo" . All teams who need a level of "root" to execute after the transition mode the "root" (using the command "su -").

found a solution with the wifi issues:

i made /etc/network/interfaces like this:

user@amlogic:~$ cat /etc/network/interfaces
source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

# Local loopback
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
user@amlogic:~$ 

Now is connecting without problems...
In fact i'm writing this message straight from the box.

I'm in the 6th forced reboot by unplugging the power adapter.

This image was EXTREMELY unstable for my box.

I changed only 6 thigs so far:

1) Added the "wifi_dummy" in /etc/modules

2) Removed tsched=0 from /etc/pulse/default.pa

3) Stopped NetworkManager service ( sudo service NetworkManager stop)

4) Removed network-manager from startup to save me ~6 minutes delay ( update-rc.d network-manager remove )

5) Added my wifi details in /etc/network/interfaces:

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*
# Local loopback
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wpa-ssid MyAccesPointName
wpa-psk mycopmplexpassword

6) removed nodm and added lightdm

Right now the system seems stable and the one core was 100% is gone ( all cores are in sane percentages )

Now lets test some HD videos with kodi :-)

I can confirm that kodi works as expected.

All kodi functions worked for me ( scanning my samba shares, adding my videos to collection, etc )

Playing 1080p and 720p videos was a pleasant experience.

The only thing ( unrelated to kodi ) is that my wifi died after 10-15 minutes again, and kodi started buffering for ever.

Since then the system become extremely laggy and unresponsive and took me about 10 minutes to get out of kodi without unplugging the power cord.

Eventually it did manage to get out of kodi, and the system is almost usable again, but with one core to be 100% and no internet/network access again.

So the biggest problem in my system seems to be wifi stability.
The image as i said before is the same Armbian_5.27_S9xxx_Ubuntu_xenial_3.14.29_mate_KODI_20170623.img  and the box is MiniM8S.

Anyone else had better luck with this image?

On 24/06/2017 at 5:19 PM, xXx said:

2) Removed tsched=0 from /etc/pulse/default.pa

3) Stopped NetworkManager service ( sudo service NetworkManager stop)

4) Removed network-manager from startup to save me ~6 minutes delay ( update-rc.d network-manager remove )

To speed up and clean os, remove networkmanager and pulseaudio  packages with Synaptic or apt remove. Disable systemd networking.service. Install wicd.

1 hour ago, debianxfce said:

To speed up and clean os, remove networkmanager and pulseaudio  packages with Synaptic or apt remove. Disable systemd networking.service. Install wicd.

Thanks for the advice, but...

1) My box is not moving at all, so i have no need for wicd ( i trust good old /etc/network/interfaces much better ).

2) I wanted to be as close to balbes150 vanilla image ( but i had many problems so i was forced to change some things ) as possible, in order to give accurate results.

Thanks again!

6 hours ago, xXx said:

Thanks for the advice, but...

1) My box is not moving at all, so i have no need for wicd ( i trust good old /etc/network/interfaces much better ).

2) I wanted to be as close to balbes150 vanilla image ( but i had many problems so i was forced to change some things ) as possible, in order to give accurate results.

Thanks again!

With my Amd X4 845 3.7GHz quad core cpu pulseaudio takes 3% of cpu time, alsa and gstreamer 0%. Amlogic cpus are much more weaker, so there no much sense to run pulseaudio. Networkmanager is buggy and poorly designed, you have no control to the hw because the user interface use notifications from software layer below.  systemd networking.service slows your system boot a lot, see systemd-analyze blame. With Wicd I have no 10 minute time out with wifi.

Image update Mate\XFCE+KODI 20170630 (bug fixes). For those who already have images 20170628 you can only refresh the kodi package (download from the directory the deb on the website and install via "dpkg -i"

Thanks balbes150.

flashing that image to an SD card right now:  Armbian_5.27_S9xxx_Debian_jessie_3.14.29_xfce_KODI_20170630.img

I hope my friend in test1.mp4 is still there.

Will report back.

- J

57 minutes ago, balbes150 said:

Request to all, who have the opportunity. Check run this test video in KODI on the last image 20170702. I am interested in the behavior of the system when playing on different TV boxes (with different dtb data).

https://yadi.sk/d/AROh6_rH3KfJ5c

According to the test results to write the model and result (reproduce or not).

That file is an audio file, not a video file.  I have my Amlogic S905x connected directly to my Samsung 4K TV, but my box only connects as 1080P.  I am running your latest update.  Is there a setting to change the setting to 4K??  

When I change the video setting in Kodi to a 4k resolution, all I get is a black screen.  I have to reboot the box.

On 6/24/2016 at 5:05 AM, Shimon said:

In case anyone needs those, I've extracted the dtb files from both MXQ Pro+ and M8S mini:

can anyone please help with information on how to extract the dtb file from your own android media player?  I have a Mini M8S II and so far none of the DTB files have working combinations of ALL audio, NIC or Bluetooth devices.  Thank you.