Avoiding kernel panics on shutdown?

tkaiser

Hi,

while testing with various sun8i legacy builds with connected display it came to my attention that kernel always panics at shutdown (in fact I was all the time doing a reboot so it took me some time to notice this).

I tried to replace our rmmod example here with this code

for module in $(cut -f1 -d' ' </proc/modules) ; do rmmod -f ${module} ; done

But to no avail. Still on shutdown or reboot the kernel panics, waits 10 seconds and reboots then. Behaviour might be related to recent kernel additions (FriendlyARM Matrix stuff)? And the other question is which drawbacks the above code could have?

Any comments on doing a forced rmmod for all loaded modules in armhwinfo stop case? We have a few modules reported where removing the specific module is the only way to avoid a panic on shutdown... so why not removing them all?

Any comments on doing a forced rmmod for all loaded modules in armhwinfo stop case? We have a few modules reported where removing the specific module is the only way to avoid a panic on shutdown... so why not removing them all?

Some modules have dependencies and cannot be removed or need to be processed in special order, others may produce crashes on manual removal too. First we need to find what exactly crashes and why, after that we may fix this issue or disable/blacklist buggy modules

Some modules have dependencies and cannot be removed or need to be processed in special order, others may produce crashes on manual removal too. First we need to find what exactly crashes and why, after that we may fix this issue or disable/blacklist buggy modules

I remember we had a report about g_mass_storage on sun7i and a Wi-Fi driver on sun8i. So now I simply added the unload procedure as comment to armhwinfo since I doubt anyone wants to diagnose smelly legacy kernel modules?

And I can't reproduce any kernel panics on FEL booted Plus2E

Potential differences: Gbit vs. Fast Ethernet and no SDIO/mmc involved in your setup?