Opi+ 2E eMMC + USB flash drive not working

rOK!

Hello All,

m new to this forum and new to armbian. Probably someone can help me. 

Im trying to get an 64GB flash drive working on a Opi+ 2E. Using the eMMC storage for boot and the flash drive as "the hard disk".

nand-sata-install gives me the option to install this combo but at the end the system boots in an infinite loop telling me something is missing on the USB drive. Installing to boot / root eMMC works like a charm.

I mounted the USB on another linux system and the drive looks good. ext4 and a root filesystem as expected.

Am i missing something? How to get the eMMC boot, USB root option up and running?

OS: Armbian 5.20 (jessie server), updated / upgraded to the most recent (i guess it was 5.22).

Thanks in advance.

> Yes, it's a bug

It seems that the USB drive is not mounted when the boot script tries to access it. Target filesystem does not have /sbin/init is said before the OS gets panic and reboots. Independand of the USB stick is plugged in or not. Interestingly it works when using the SD / USB Combo.

Can i help to resolve it?

I made a quick check, since I don't have time to deal with this before Tuesday. 

• /boot and a bootloader is properly installed to eMMC
  • / is properly installed to desired destination (/dev/sda1 for one partition on USB drive)
  • (bug) root parameter is not changed in boot script and fstab settings are wrong.

Some RFC is needed here:

https://github.com/igorpecovnik/lib/blob/master/scripts/nand-sata-install/usr/lib/nand-sata-install/nand-sata-install.sh#L39-L175

Possible quick fix. Boot with SD and alter setenv rootdev on eMMC /boot/armbianEnv.txt to meet your USB drive. On USB drive correct fstab entry.

@Igor:

I first tried to understand the string operations and path management of the GitHub lines you mentioned. For my experience with bash commands its to complex. Today i tried to edit the USB's fstab and the eMMC boot.cmd to come together. An armbianEnv.txt didn't exist. I think i have set everything pointing to the right device/location but ist still won't work.

So whatever you do, i'll wait for it ;) 

Thanks for the support!