request for Banana Pi M64

geektillithertz

your screenshot seems to show that your have DNS issue with host bpi-iot-ros-ai, but I don't understand the relationship with "sudo".

About the "dd" command, it worked succesffully since it displayed at the end "2807037952 bytes copied" ...

1. running sudo while you are root is redundant, sudo (superuser do) is intended for normal users to run some commands as root
  2. to fix DNS issue add this to the file /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1	localhost
127.0.1.1	bpi-iot-ros-ai

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
::1     ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters

for the eMMC i think there is a tool they call  bpi-copy as they state:  "support bpi-copy to write SD/eMMC with img.zip file" but as @martinayotte  already told your "dd" worked and you copied to eMMC.

not sure i would work but try and cross your finger:

sudo dpkg --add-architecture armhf
sudo apt-get update
sync
sudo apt-get install libc6:armhf
sync
sudo reboot
* update: you may need some other lib, just use package:armf when install

* Update2: you may need also this:
sudo apt-get install libstdc++6:armhf

if some other 32 lib is required to run teamviewer, try: file teamviewer (the binary) to find more about.

Edited by @lex
update info

5 hours ago, wyrd said:

Hi. Why i can't clone repo from github?

git.png

Can you type github.com in the address bar (firefox) and see it gets resolved? If not you probably have eth0 and wifi both enabled and both with IP assigned. Turn on one or the other, not both.

And better clone the new repo: https://github.com/avafinger/bpi-m64-firmware-v2 which has support for the 7" LCD panel.

As i wasn't able to find the information i seek (or was not able to understand the posts which contained it) i wanted to ask if it is possible to boot the bpi m64 from emmc with an sd card inserted for additional storage.

I followed the instructions from https://github.com/avafinger/bpi-m64-firmware to install the system to the emmc and it boots fine if there is no sd card inserted, however as soon as i insert an sd card it does not boot anymore, from what i could gather online this is the case for all the bananapi devices and there are some workarounds with adjusting the root variable in the uEnv.txt however with the bpi m64 there is no root variable in the uEnv.txt

Would it be possible to tell the system somehow to boot from emmc instead of the sd card?

no i didn't. After i installed the system to emmc i did however create a new partition table on the sdcard and created a new partition (i assumed this would be enough).

To be sure i just executed the dd command and tried to boot with the sd card again and nothing changed, still stuck while booting.

3 hours ago, blubbblubb said:

however as soon as i insert an sd card it does not boot anymore,

AFAIK the boot order is:

1 - If there is an SD CARD inserted boots from the SD CARD

2 - If no SD CARD, try to boot from NAD

3 - if no NAND, try to boot from eMMC

If you have your SD CARD empty i think it will not BOOT, @zador.blood.stained knows more about it.

6 hours ago, @lex said:

If you have your SD CARD empty i think it will not BOOT, @zador.blood.stained knows more about it.

It checks the bootloader signature so erasing SPL should work. It may not boot due to MMC device numbering in u-boot or for the root device if UUIDs were not used, but it's impossible to say anything without serial console logs.

6 hours ago, zador.blood.stained said:

It may not boot due to MMC device numbering in u-boot or for the root device if UUIDs were not used, but it's impossible to say anything without serial console logs.

MMC device number has been swapped on newest OS Image, the new OS Image has this fixed. Since i don't know which Image is in use and without serial console logs is hard to give some advice.

Sorry, but what puzzled me is that you say you can boot from eMMC with an empty SD card inserted, that's what I suppose he wants to do. Is this really possible or i misanterstood?

15 hours ago, blubbblubb said:

no i didn't. After i installed the system to emmc i did however create a new partition table on the sdcard and created a new partition (i assumed this would be enough).

To be sure i just executed the dd command and tried to boot with the sd card again and nothing changed, still stuck while booting.

Did you really follow the instructions printed there? Where it says you need to create a new partition?

The instructions are easy to follow:

Clone the repo in your host PC running linux

git clone https://github.com/avafinger/bpi-m64-firmware
 cd bpi-m64-firmware

Flash SD CARD

sudo chmod +x *.sh
 sudo ./burn_sdcard.sh /dev/sdX

or

sudo ./burn_sdcard.sh /dev/mmcblkN

where X a letter from [b,c....z] ,  please find your device letter if you use a USB card reader/writer

where N is a number [0,1,..6], please find your device number if you have a built in SD CARD reader/writer on your PC Host.

** WARNING**

Choosing wrong device number or letter can WIPE your hard disk. 

Boot with this SD CARD inserted

After you boot with this SD CARD, clone the repo again and run in Shell:

sudo chmod +x *.sh
sudo ./burn_emmc.sh
sync
sudo shutdown -h now

Wait till shutdown completes, power down the board and remove SD CARD. Boot again without SD CARD inserted.

And finally if you have a new board, you need to update the wifi firmware.

Run in shell:

sudo chmod +x *.sh
sudo ./update_wifi_bt.sh
sync
sudo reboot

If you want PPP support or get a new Kernel:

run in shell:

wget https://github.com/avafinger/bpi-m64-firmware/raw/master/fstab
sudo cp -vf ./fstab /etc/fstab
sync
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sync
sudo reboot
wget https://github.com/avafinger/bpi-m64-firmware/raw/master/linux-image-3.10.105-a64_1.0-2.deb
sudo dpkg -i linux-image-3.10.105-a64_1.0-2.deb 
sync
sudo reboot

This instructions is all you need and no need for you to create anything.

Hope this helps!

And if you want to boot from eMMC and with empty SD CARD inserted i really don't know how to do it, sorry.

Edited by @lex
added missing info

4 minutes ago, @lex said:

Sorry, but what puzzled me is that you say you can boot from eMMC with an empty SD card inserted, that's what I suppose he wants to do. Is this really possible or i misanterstood?

Yes, it's possible, assuming an "empty" card means a card with no SPL signature. It just has to be properly handled by software.

Ok, i gave it a try with "empty" SD CARD right now and in fact kernel 3.10 booted up but hangs in somewhere after setting up HDMI. Possible a oops , since i don't have a serial output log to have a look at, i can't give exact error.

Maybe i will try with mainline kernel this weekend... ;)

Just for the record, i looked at boot log, boot device ID becomes 1 when there is SD CARD inserted, so kernel cannot find rootfs.

The solution for that specific Image to boot from eMMC with "empty" SD CARD inserted would be one of this:

* Use UUIDs

* Fix u-boot to pass correct ID

* Change kernel args manually

I have played a bit to the proposed Change kernel args and have this workaround:

Assuming you have the latest Image from that link and applied the /etc/fstab content described there.

** Be aware that it will ONLY boot if an "empty" SD CARD is inserted **

Here are the steps to boot from eMMC and have an "empty" (say 64 GB) sdcard as a big storage:

* Boot from eMMC
* type in shell

sudo sed -i -e 's/blk0/blk1/g' /etc/fstab

* edit the file /boot/uEnv.txt like so

sudo leafpad /boot/uEnv.txt

add the line at the beggining:
root=/dev/mmcblk1p2

The contents will be like:

root=/dev/mmcblk1p2
console=tty0 console=ttyS0,115200n8 no_console_suspend
kernel_filename=a64/Image
initrd_filename=initrd.img
ethaddr=36:c9:e3:f1:b8:05
optargs=disp.screen0_output_mode=1080p60

save

type in shell:

sudo sync
sudo shutdown -h now

Wait till it shutdowns completely, remove power, insert your "empty" SD CARD into the slot and boot the board, to have access to the SD CARD you need to install auto-mount or mount it manually like so:

type in shell:

sudo mkdir -p sdcard
sudo mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 sdcard

Now you have the board booted from eMMC  and can read/write from/to SD CARD (sdcard directory) if you are root. Adjust this to have user permission to access the sdcard directory.

Good luck.

2 minutes ago, @lex said:

sudo sed -i -e 's/blk0/blk1/g' /etc/fstab

Hmm... now we have detailed instructions in Armbian forum for a problem that has been solved long ago in Armbian (by stopping to use unreliable device identifiers and doing it correctly --> UUID).

Why not adjusting the above to UUID usage instead?

Hiya all,

Thanks @@lex for all your hard work on this image, I have burned a copy to sd card using your instructions here: https://github.com/avafinger/bpi-m64-firmware-v2

and it boots up fine,  even for a relative noob like myself your instructions were great. havent tried to burn to eMMC yet.

I did have trouble with the resolution  but i think that was because i was using a HDMI to vga adapter

One thing i noticed straight away is the network menu from the icon on the menu bar some network options were grayed out and not available - but when i connect network cable nothing changes but i can surf the net fine, but the menu wont show connection info. not sure why it would be grayed out. any idea?

Now ill go try to burn to eMMC and let you know how i go

Thanks Again