Orange Pi Pc : Wireless is driving me crazy

ccapublic

Hi all,

During a first installation, wireless worked with both ralink or rtl8192cu usb dongle. Though connection was unstable (ralink) or sometimes even freezing the system (rtl812cu), I could at least see the surrounding ssids and most of the times connect.

Following a problem which bricked the opipc (my kid unplugged the board while I was playing with kernel), I reinstalled from scratch. And pouf ! None of my dongles work. Leds won't turn on, no wlanx in ifconfig, no ssids in network manager tray icon... however (tested only with rtl8192cu dongle), lsusb and lsmod seem fine (i can see rtl892cu in lsmod).

The only difference I can think off between first and second install is that for second install I did run apt-get upgrade.

Again I'm really a newbie so maybe I missed something obvious but I'd like to know a few things (if you may help) :

- is there any chance to get reliable wireless with orange pi pc (I think I read a post from Igor basically saying NO)

- if yes is there a prefered dongle (ralink, rtl8192cu - I prefer the later because the dongle I have is small while the ralink is huge)

- is there a reliable step by step guide somewhere working out of the box with the latest armbian supporting opipc.

Many many thanks if simeone can enlighten me ;)

Thanks a lot

Cyril.

Hello, ccapublic,

every new kernel distributed by dist-upgrade will break your 8192cu.

you need to rebuild your module locally, as per the documentation:

https://docs.armbian.com/User-Guide_Advanced-Features/#how-to-build-a-wireless-driver

see also this thread:

https://forum.armbian.com/index.php/topic/2892-module-8192cuko-not-working-in-armbian-514/?hl=depmod#entry20403

Its armbians beginners trap for frustrating the new ones ;-)

best, gnasch

Thanks I will be trying it tomorriw. Is the same scenario (kernel change = rtl8192cu dead) true for other chipsets ? Because my ralink dongle fails too. Last i see 2 methods for building and installing the driver. One uses dkms, the other make then insmod. Which one shall I use ? If insmod is it to be done just once or upon every boot (ok this is not really related to wireless issue but my incompetency in linux :)).

Thanks again

Cyril

Ok. Rebuilding the driver + insmod brings rtl chipset back to life. I can see ssids in nm applet. The problem now is thay when I attempt to connect to a secured wireless network I get the "authication required to connect to wifi" banner but no window pops up to ask me for the passphrase and nm-connection-editor does not enable me to create a connection (new wifi connections brings an all-greyed window". I'll keep on trying to understand my new mistake ;)

Hi. Everything is fine and (so far) stable both with my realtek and ralink dongles.

Reg fw, and because I was lazy, I did install the armbian-firmware-full package. I am now wondering if armbian-firmware would have been enough for all ralink and realtek dongles. Not that I don't have 100MB left on the SD but it is quite piggy.

I tried to find the exact list of fw included in both packages (or at least the minimal one) with no success.

Maybe I'll try to purge the full version and install the minimal one and see if it still works. Hopefully I won't break something on the way.

That being said I now have a working wireless octoprint OPIPC image : I'm HAPPY !

Maybe I'll try to purge the full version and install the minimal one and see if it still works. Hopefully I won't break something on the way.

Full is what it said ... while normal armbian-firmware is handpicked. When you find a correct firmware, add / push it here and it will be in a small package for good:

https://github.com/igorpecovnik/lib/tree/master/bin/firmware-overlay