Building Armbian closer to Mainline Debian, changing DE to Openbox?

Dan25

Hey, I'd like to build an image closer to mainline Debian (normal MOTD, wicd instead of network manager) with a few extra packages (nginx, mariadb, ...) and openbox for the DE targeted at an OrangePi Plus 2E, any suggestions or guidance on how to edit the build scripts to create something like this?

Currently doing this all with Ansible after copying it to eMMC, but I figure it'd be a big time savings to prebuild an image with the right DE and software on a more powerful box.

As already said by Igor you can tweak image creation a lot, adding additional packages is described there and using userpatches/customize-image.sh you can adjust almost everything (I use this script a lot to tweak stuff such as preventing user creation on first boot or changing motd behaviour). You might find a lot of ideas by looking through this thread here: https://forum.armbian.com/index.php/topic/853-armbian-customization/

BTW: it would be interesting which tweaks you consider to get your more 'genuine Debian' experience. You already listed some stuff on IRC but are you able to create a quick list? Thank you in advance.

Risotto con pomodori secchi, radicchio e lardo was delicious -- thanks!

Things different from Debian:

• Messes with the bash prompt to show a silly warning on *every* new shell after a kernel upgrade
  • Doesn't have a normal debian installer (debootstrap), leading to issues like incorrect handling of /etc/resolv.conf after copying to NAND, almost certainly other similar issues exist.
  • MOTD changes and a few other things vs Debian stable keep throwing me off

I'd like to reduce modifications to the system to just minor kernel patches required to add hardware support, as I find mainline Debian wheezy/jessie to have sane defaults and good ease of use.

IMHO the patches / directory changes "userpatches" there is one drawback - it is not tracked in GIT. So you need to track (or copy to another location) the history of changes\debug overlay patches. I wonder how difficult it is to move the directory "userpatches" in the directory "lib" ? Then it will be tracked by git and will be easy to make changes without fear of losing them.

By the way, this will allow you to easily share changes between users (working on the same project) without affecting the main (official) files.

IMHO the patches / directory changes "userpatches" there is one drawback - it is not tracked in GIT.

I think it's the main feature - having your own patches that are not affected by updates and that don't prevent / conflict with updates.

I wonder how difficult it is to move the directory "userpatches" in the directory "lib" ? Then it will be tracked by git and will be easy to make changes without fear of losing them.

By the way, this will allow you to easily share changes between users (working on the same project) without affecting the main (official) files.

You can create a repository for which igorpecovnik/lib will be a git submodule (you'll have to add to .gitignore directories like sources and output), so userpatches will be under the git control.

I think it's the main feature - having your own patches that are not affected by updates and that don't prevent / conflict with updates.

You can create a repository for which igorpecovnik/lib will be a git submodule (you'll have to add to .gitignore directories like sources and output), so userpatches will be under the git control.

I agree, this nuance with the update I have not considered. It is necessary to think of it, maybe even have any solutions.