SOC compatibility

Currently I am busy getting the new version of Kerberosio video surveillance software (website) to work on Armbian (Debian Jessie). The current version is already working (refer also to this post), and I have also compiled successfully the most recent development version which includes video recording which is not included in the current release. There will be a special Armbian page (I am currently writing it) on the Kerberos.io site in the near future.

I am working towards a general Armbian recipe. Because the software originally focuses on the Raspberry Pi Platform, there are some slight differences (library dependencies because of the Raspberry Pi camera which is supported by default).

Main question for me is: how about SOC compatibility? I’ve compiled a .deb on a H3, and this .deb also works on my A20 and S500 based boards.

But how about other SOC’s? Can I simply assume that if a H3 compiled .deb runs on the boards mentioned above, it will run on all Armbian compatible boards under the same OS? Or is this a bridge too far?

If you're not utilizing any machine dependent stuff (eg. camera libraries to access CSI cameras) stuff should be generic. As an example: On our 64-bit platforms (Allwinner A64 and H5, Amlogic S9xx) architecture is arm64 but Armbian adds armhf architecture already at build time. That's the reason why you can install a simple armhf .deb like eg. rpimonitor on all boards without problems (though our installation routine only adjust templates on one platform currently)

Thanks for your reply! Sounds clear and as expected (but most of all hoped for!).

Main issue is indeed the (hardware specific) libraries needed for the RPi camera. As long as these libraries are present, the program compiles and runs fine. Of course, the RPi camera is not (and probably will never be?) used on Armbian based boards. Therefore I will create a separate package with the needed libs and a small script / command to get them in place in an Armbian installation.

Of course, the RPi camera is not (and probably will never be?) used on Armbian based boards.

As far as I understand this, it's not about the specific camera (or connection type) but only about the video engine of the specific SoC family. All Raspberries are basically the same SoC here (it's a horribly outdated VideoCore IV where BroadCom exchanged CPU cores between different models) so you need support libraries for OMX here.

Armbian does support a few different SoC families but they also use their own video engines so a device agnostic approach has to rely on USB video only :(