Media Armbian failing epically

Shanther

I am running an Odroid XU4. My operating system is Armbian 5.20 installed to the eMMC. I have an SD card in the board as well for storage.

I am trying to use it for sonarr, deluge, couchpotato and plex.

I have updated it as far as I know is safe without the problem from newer versions affecting me. The problem where the eMMC will not run the OS.

I have the following 3 updates left and I don't know which is safe and which will cause a devestating problem of the device not booting.

-----armbian-firmware linux-image-odroidxu4 linux-u-boot-odroidxu4-default-----

Which is safe to install if any?

I don't know much about Linux at all.

I have had this all working on a raspberry pi 2 running rasbian but it just wasn't fast enough thus an XU4 was supposed to change that.

I haven't used Ubuntu as I couldn't figure out how to install Plex server on it. Plexpy isn't the same as far as I know.

My sonarr crashes the XU4 when I import several items...the number changes. I have had it crash everything when importing 8-16 items.
My Plex crashes whenever my xbox one tries to access it.
Couch Potato is somehow stable.
Deluge works fine after I upgraded some files.

I really need help. I don't even know how to make/find log files regarding the crashing. I don't even think it could make them if the entire device crashes.

I am hoping the update helps if not please someone help me.

Oh and it keep hitting 80'-85' which is not a safe temp.

post-4594-0-69545300-1487169136_thumb.png

I used to run complex services, including this forum, for at least half a year without a single issue (on probably the same image - Jessie 5.20). We haven't done much changes on the top of Hardkernel kernel either. Crashes can be caused by some hardware defects, insufficient power supply, bad media, bad 3rd party wireless chip, ...

If you plan to do upgrade, skip u-boot package, kernel upgrade should be fine. And if you plan to used it as a server, consider using modern kernel. It should be good, bud it doesn't have HDMI console ... serial or SSH access only.

Any ideas on what could be making my system crash everytime I do anything in plex or when I add multiple files in sonar?´

Who should know this if not you? Armbian is not known for crashing on XU4 so you should try to nail your problem down (from bottom to top, Armbian ships with 'stress' and 'iozone' installed so you can try to hammer the external disk with IO requests to get an idea whether this is the culprit. Same with CPU utilization and so on)

tkaiser, on 16 Feb 2017 - 03:29 AM, said:

Who should know this if not you? Armbian is not known for crashing on XU4 so you should try to nail your problem down (from bottom to top, Armbian ships with 'stress' and 'iozone' installed so you can try to hammer the external disk with IO requests to get an idea whether this is the culprit. Same with CPU utilization and so on)

I have no idea what they are or how to use them. I have said I have very little knowledge of Linux. If you could explain how to get that information and what to do with it to fix my problem that would

be really helpful.

I figured Armbian wouldn't be known for crashing with how many people recommended it and how my problem seems very specific.

I used to run complex services, including this forum, for at least half a year without a single issue (on probably the same image - Jessie 5.20). We haven't done much changes on the top of Hardkernel kernel either. Crashes can be caused by some hardware defects, insufficient power supply, bad media, bad 3rd party wireless chip, ...

If you plan to do upgrade, skip u-boot package, kernel upgrade should be fine. And if you plan to used it as a server, consider using modern kernel. It should be good, bud it doesn't have HDMI console ... serial or SSH access only.

I upgraded "linux-image-odroidxu4" and now my system is dead. At least you know that wasn't good for my boot.

So reinstall with a modern kernel aint that much too it and do it right this time around. Been using Armbian for the latter part of 2 years now and the stability on 4.x kernel is insane the uptime on my streaming server is awesome.. sooo just re-install dont make custom stuff without researching as you said you dont know that much about linux and there for dont use dumb guides without knowing what they do.

Toast, on 16 Feb 2017 - 5:12 PM, said:

So reinstall with a modern kernel aint that much too it and do it right this time around. Been using Armbian for the latter part of 2 years now and the stability on 4.x kernel is insane the uptime on my streaming server is awesome.. sooo just re-install dont make custom stuff without researching as you said you dont know that much about linux and there for dont use dumb guides without knowing what they do.

make custom stuff...why do you think I use guides. As for re-install with modern kernel, I think I was clear when I stated my skill level. Those are 2 things that are not in my skill range thus the guides.

I don't know why but most of my problems now happen when I use plex. I have changed to Ubuntu again as people like you were being rather hostile in you "help". I was asking for clear advice providing as much information I had to provide and offering to supply more.