OrangePI 2 wifi driver issue in mainline dev (4.10)
1 1

5 posts in this topic

I've build an dev image for my OrangePi 2 (kernel 4.10) to try mainline kernel and got into troubles with onboard wifi. It works fine in legacy with 8189es module, but there is no 8189es module in mainline image. So I tried 8189fs but it's not working.

After doing some search I've managed to build 8189es module myself using https://github.com/jwrdegoede/rtl8189ES_linux.gitrepository. Quick manual:

git clone https://github.com/jwrdegoede/rtl8189ES_linux.git
cd rtl8189ES_linux/
make ARCH=arm KSRC=/usr/src/linux-headers-$(uname -r) CROSS_COMPILE=
sudo mkdir /lib/modules/4.10.0-sun8i/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/realtek/rtl8189es/
sudo cp 8189es.ko /lib/modules/4.10.0-sun8i/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/realtek/rtl8189es/
sudo depmod -a
sudo modprobe 8189es

I'd suspect that this issue applies to all boards with RTL8189ETV sdio wifi (OPI 2, OPI+2, NanoPI A64, etc). And the question is - why this driver is missing in default armbian repo?

why this driver is missing in default armbian repo?

Since Hans started to play around is possible, that driver will find a way upstream and we won't need to add it with a patch. Anyway, this kernel is Work In Progress and if you see something missing or you find a bug and know how to fix it, you are welcome to help. We can't address all issues.

Since Hans started to play around is possible, that driver will find a way upstream and we won't need to add it with a patch. 

Hm. I'm not sure about that.

And the question is - why this driver is missing in default armbian repo?

Feel free to convert this driver to in-tree one and making a pull request if you want to solve this problem sooner than later.

Feel free to convert this driver to in-tree one and making a pull request if you want to solve this problem sooner than later.

To which repo PR should go to?