OPI Lite WiFi MAC

dhlii

Looking for any means of finding a unique and permanent MAC address for opilites. 

Is there some kind of serial number or other unique number of any kind in an H3 SOC or in something on an OPI Lite board that could be used to derive a MAC ?

As things currently are I either have to manually setup the mac for each board I build - in a conf file in /etc/modprobe.d or live with the fact that the board comes up with a new mac/ip with every boot.  

https://github.com/igorpecovnik/lib/commit/1b4c92e53ac2c6ff2a78ae44898e32e2f5b62902

We set a random MAC address on first boot in the beginning and this got fixed then months ago by a driver patch. If this is not enough to solve the problem please check my signature what should be required to properly 'report a bug' (checking logs on your own first and provide them for others to inspect)

That patch is only for legacy kernel. I don't think anyone bothered to make similar patch for mainline kernel. Don't get me wrong, it is not trivial, some kernel knowledge is required.

Ok, mainline kernel. IIRC Martin Ayotte mentioned that setting MAC address from DT should work? If not,  please feel free to send a PR with a patch against https://github.com/igorpecovnik/lib and please report back in any case how you solved it (adding the /etc/modprobe.d/8189fs.conf tweak back to firstrun script when mainline kernel is detected is IMO a valid option)

11 hours ago, jernej said:

I don't think anyone bothered to make similar patch for mainline kernel. Don't get me wrong, it is not trivial, some kernel knowledge is required.

I don't think anybody is interested in mainlining 8189es and 8189fs drivers at all. If these drivers were converted into platform drivers and DTs were patched accordingly with aliases then u-boot could set unique SID based MAC address automatically.

Ok, that was not what I expected. I thought that at some point there was patch for mainline RTL wifi driver which added SDIO IDs and maybe few other things. I wonder if that would work or not, but it would take some time before I can test this theory. After all, it would be unproductive for Realtek to always completely redesign the chips.