Thermal Risks with Mainline Kernel

Queen Fiona

To replace my dead home server (which was just a dead laptop anyway), I picked up an Orange Pi PC for cheap locally. After solving power supply issues, I tested GUI and media performance on the board, with an aim to perhaps use the composite out for emulation, before concluding that this wasn't the best choice for the board. (That, and it'd kill my performance for the more useful server aspects.) While technically impressive, it wasn't really worth it when my PC is right there for me to use to play those video files I would on the board.

Looking into the matter, it seems the ideal solution for a file server would be to install the Mainline kernel to benefit from USB/UAS. It seems like it's not an uncommon thing with Armbian, but the details about thermal throttling and Ethernet issues have me wary. I did get a heatsink for the board for protection, but...well, how much of a practical risk is running Mainline? What issues would I have to deal with regarding Ethernet support or thermal throttling? Is the increase in performance really worth the trouble, or should I stick with the Legacy kernel just to be safe?

I use mainline on several boards and run them 24/7.    Unless you're planning on using software raid for several drives and really hammering all the cores for long period of time you have nothing to worry about--- If you are worried plop a 5 volt fan on the headers and rock n roll.

Yeah, my use case is pretty much just running OpenMediaVault with a self-powered drive and a powered enclosure. Just basic stuff like Samba, Transmission, some kind of web downloader, web/FTP services...that kind of thing. The worst thing I think I could do with it is use a minimal desktop environment for emergencies. Unless OMV has some serious problems, I'll install tonight.

I'm setting up Kubuntu later tonight, so I might well try to build my own. Sadly, it appears the compilation script for OMV pinned here has some serious bugs, but since I don't need disk quotas, I'll likely just install it as stock. h3consumption would be nice, too, since I won't need the GPU, but c'est la vie.

What does the lack of EMAC for Ethernet actually mean, in practical terms? I might just get a USB dongle as recommended here, but even so, it could take a while.