safe upgrade: failed to fetch packages

Markymark

Hi,

I tried to safe-upgrade (apt-get upgrade) Trusty today but got the following notice:

Failed to fetch http://apt.armbian.com/dists/trusty/main/binary-armhf/Packages

It would be OK to dist-upgrade to Xenial anyway as described in the Docs ...

apt-get install update-manager-core do-release-upgrade -d # further to xenial apt-get dist-upgrade

... but I think it would be a good idea to start from a proper Trusty.

Any suggestions.

Thanks in advance

Mark

The proper way would be to start with a fresh Xenial image and move old configuration to a new OS - dist-upgrade can't bring you all image build time tweaks. Dist-upgrade suggestion should be removed from the documentation - it was added a long time ago, I think even before Xenial release.

The proper way would be to start with a fresh Xenial image and move old configuration to a new OS

Yes, but this is not an option due to the amout of tweaks that are applied.

I will be happy to stay with Trusty instead. Is there a way to solve the above issue?

Rgrds,

Mark

47 minutes ago, Markymark said:

Does this mean that the Trusty package is no longer available / will no longer be supported?

Yes, Trusty release is no longer supported (in Armbian build script), but it's still possible to install kernel packages manually (system backup is always recommended before doing updates, especially when using NAND), and other updates will still come to Trusty from upstream Ubuntu repositories.

OK, I can perfectly understand that the support has to stop at a certain point.

But wouldn't it be an idea to keep the packages available anyway. If I have to step back to and older backup (which I have to from time to time) I could do so easily via apt-get up to the last supported status. Or am I missing something?

Rgrds,

Mark

1 hour ago, Markymark said:

But wouldn't it be an idea to keep the packages available anyway. If I have to step back to and older backup (which I have to from time to time) I could do so easily via apt-get up to the last supported status. Or am I missing something?

I believe there were some problems with the repository (or the server migration), so older packages (including ones for Wheezy and Trusty) were lost in the process, so this was not exactly planned.