Simple question, no answers that I can find

Filker0

I have an OrangePi Plus.  I downloaded and installed "Armbian_5.25_Orangepiplus_Ubuntu_xenial_default_3.4.113.7z" (actually, I installed the image file from inside that archive) onto a micro-SD/TF card (16GB) and managed to get it to talk to my monitor (thanks, armbian, for "h3disp").  I searched the web, and this forum, for instructions on how to install a graphical desktop on top of the particular Ubuntu Xenial flavor and found nothing I could make sense of.  I tried the following:

sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-fbdev ubuntu-desktop

I got the Ubuntu greeter, but when I log in, I get a stock desktop background with no sidebars or menu bar.  I can move the cursor with the mouse, right click brings up a context menu that is not helpful, and nothing I have tried has gotten me anywhere beyond that.  There is nothing in the .xsession-errors log that shows errors other than "libEGL warning: DRI2: failed to authenticate".

Lots of people in these forums seem to have a graphical desktop environment working on their H3 based OrangePi boards.  There must be some instructions on how to do this successfully.  Will some kind soul please respond with either a link to the instructions on how to install a graphical environment on this board, or failing that, describe how it's done?

Thanks.

6 hours ago, Filker0 said:

Lots of people in these forums seem to have a graphical desktop environment working on their H3 based OrangePi boards.  There must be some instructions on how to do this successfully.  Will some kind soul please respond with either a link to the instructions on how to install a graphical environment on this board, or failing that, describe how it's done?

Please check the "Desktop" tab on the download page: https://www.armbian.com/orange-pi-plus/#desktop

Desktop images are separate from CLI/Server ones, and it's recommended to install a premade image.