rc.local does not run program with parameters correctly

peter12

please, I am really helpless. I am on Armbian.

I am trying to run hyperion-v4l2 in /etc/rc.local (please it is not important why for now) with these parameters: Code:

/home/user/hyperion/build/bin/hyperion-v4l2 --device /dev/video0 --video-standard PAL --width 720 --height 576 --crop-top 10 --crop-bottom 10 --crop-left 24 --crop-right 24 --frame-decimator 1 --size-decimator 4 --red-threshold 0.2 --green-threshold 0.4 --blue-threshold 1.0

(before v4l2 I am executing sudo /home/user/hyperion/build/bin/hyperiond /home/user/hyperion.config.json) But it does not take crop parameters in effect (important for blackborder detection) of hyperion-v4l2. I tried to put the whole command in sh and python script (subprocess) but it is the same, in rc.local crop parameters are omitted, no idea why. BUT when I execute the same SH or Python script when I log in via my user, it works correctly.

What can be wrong? In rc.local and all executed scripts via rc.local it does not take crop parameters in effect. Maybe the line with parameters is very long, but I don't understand it because manually the same scripts work correctly.

UPDATE: After several trial and errors I found out, probably, it is related to  THIS   sudo /home/user/hyperion/build/bin/hyperiond /home/user/hyperion.config.json. Because when I run this script via rc.local and then manually hyperion-v4l2, then behaviour is the same.

4 minutes ago, zador.blood.stained said:

Does it use any kind of configuration files stored in /home?

Looks like it does based on your first posts.

Processes started from /etc/rc.local will be started as root, so their home directory will be /root, so your program may be searching for its configuration files in wrong directory

I don't think so. Program is not trying to search for config files. According to my opinion program just not receive the right parameters, but no idea why. When I try to execute the same program with/without sudo via terminal, it works ok (It gets parameters ok).

12 minutes ago, peter12 said:

According to my opinion program just not receive the right parameters, but no idea why.

Please run "ps ax" to get the PID of hyperion-v4l2 (running from rc.local) and then run "ps -o args -p <pid> | tail", i.e.

ps -o args -p 1234 | tail

There you'll see command line passed to hyperion-v4l2 so you can check if it is correct or not

Edited by zador.blood.stained
Added | tail to wrap long lines

UPDATE: After several trial and errors I found out, probably, it is related to  THIS   sudo /home/user/hyperion/build/bin/hyperiond /home/user/hyperion.config.json. Because when I run this script via rc.local and then manually hyperion-v4l2, then behaviour is the same.