VPN Server Questions

Ryujin

On 10/11/2018 at 8:12 AM, JMCC said:

You should also consider processor speed and whether the kernel supports HW crypto acceleration. I have tried openvpn both in an OrangePi+ 2e (Allwinner H3), and an Odroid XU4, and performance is an order of magnitude faster in the XU4.

H5 has ARMv8 crypto extensions, so just make sure you choose a kernel that supports them.

I would not trust the Allwinner HW Crypto Acceleration on H3/H5 (or any other sunxi platform) as far as I can throw it - it's fairly broken on many levels...

http://sunxi.montjoie.ovh/

That being said - H5 on ARM64 on software performs quite nicely...  and aes-128-gcm on H5 is good for potential 160 Mbit/Sec plus on Neo2...

all on SW...

$ openvpn --genkey --secret /tmp/secret && time openvpn --test-crypto --secret /tmp/secret --verb 0 --tun-mtu 20000 --cipher aes-128-gcm
Sat Dec 22 20:26:07 2018 disabling NCP mode (--ncp-disable) because not in P2MP client or server mode

real	0m19.502s
user	0m19.149s
sys	0m0.124s

Hi thanks sharing this with me. tried with both CBC and GCM ( last results ) and indeed interesting results also with GCM.

Any kernel settings changed to get 160Mbit as I seem to get stuck around 110Mbit while in theory I should be able to get 300Mbit ( limit upload )

iperf3 -4 -V -c 192.168.10.2 -t 60 -b 0 -P 1
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Test Complete. Summary Results:
[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bandwidth       Retr
[  4]   0.00-60.00  sec   795 MBytes   111 Mbits/sec  1190             sender
[  4]   0.00-60.00  sec   787 MBytes   110 Mbits/sec                  receiver
CPU Utilization: local/sender 1.9% (0.1%u/1.7%s), remote/receiver 34.0% (2.6%u/31.4%s)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Test Complete. Summary Results:
[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bandwidth       Retr
[  4]   0.00-60.00  sec   774 MBytes   108 Mbits/sec  2724             sender
[  4]   0.00-60.00  sec   766 MBytes   107 Mbits/sec                  receiver
CPU Utilization: local/sender 1.9% (0.1%u/1.8%s), remote/receiver 30.9% (2.3%u/28.6%s)

Found this..not sure if it will work or not

7.6.2 Uninstallation in Linux

To uninstall the Linux version of VPN Server when vpnserver is registered as a service, you must perform the following operation.

Execute the /etc/init.d/vpnserver stop command to stop VPN Server.

Execute the /sbin/chkconfig --del vpnserver command to delete registration of vpnserver as a service.

Delete the /etc/init.d/vpnserver file.

After performing the above operation, delete the directory where vpnserver is installed.

20 hours ago, WarHawk_AVG said:

You could simply use systemctrl stop ethervpn (i think thats the service name check with top or htop) and then systemctrl disable ethervpn and that is it.

If you want to completely wipe the installation then go to /user/local and delete the vpnserver folder and also delete the /etc/init.d/vpnserver file and you are done!

On 1/22/2019 at 4:46 PM, WarHawk_AVG said:

7.6.2 Uninstallation in Linux

To uninstall the Linux version of VPN Server when vpnserver is registered as a service, you must perform the following operation.

Execute the /etc/init.d/vpnserver stop command to stop VPN Server.

Execute the /sbin/chkconfig --del vpnserver command to delete registration of vpnserver as a service.

Delete the /etc/init.d/vpnserver file.

After performing the above operation, delete the directory where vpnserver is installed.

Is that variant is still actual?