FriendlyELEC NanoPi K2 (S905)

Christos

Ok so I was playing around with the dtb files today to test others in the search for a working heartbeat led. This is what i've found.

meson64_odroidc2.dtb Can load up with working HDMI and heartbeat.. But has a recurring error

[   78.598264] i2c i2c-1: [aml_i2c_xfer] error ret = -5 (-EIO)
[   78.602108] i2c i2c-1: token 1, master_no(1) 300K addr 0x51
[   78.607810] rtc-pcf8563 1-0051: pcf8563_get_datetime: read error
[   80.441991] i2c i2c-1: [aml_i2c_xfer] error ret = -5 (-EIO)
[   80.445828] i2c i2c-1: token 2, master_no(1) 300K addr 0x51
[   80.451523] rtc-pcf8563 1-0051: pcf8563_set_datetime: err=-11 addr=03, data=31
[   80.597084] i2c i2c-1: [aml_i2c_xfer] error ret = -5 (-EIO)
[   80.600936] i2c i2c-1: token 1, master_no(1) 300K addr 0x51
[   80.606637] rtc-pcf8563 1-0051: pcf8563_get_datetime: read error

So if someone has ideas or a guide that is better for converting the dtb>dts>dtb That would be great and we might be able to get everything working as intended.

Well I attempted the LibreElec image to attempt to get lirc working so I can test out my remote they sent me. Seems that we can run any image Odroid c2 has as long as we swap the .dtb and the uboot with the modified one's in my video!. So this is great news for us. This little board is even able to stream 4k over my samba( i know :( ).

Update: I realized that I flashed an existing image and not a C2 image, so Nope can't just swap the files to run a C2 image. Sorry guys.

49 minutes ago, Diego Andrés Acosta said:

Hi ! What you did for have the wifi working? And how you can improve the resolution? I have only 1024*768.

Thanks in advance. 

Muadiv.

Add the line to /etc/modules:

wifi_dummy

Upgrade to Debian testing and install Wicd and remove networkmanager and systemd networking.service. Install correct firmware to /lib/firmware, use dmesg to see if firmware is missing  This is solution for Sunvell T95Z Plus Amlogic S912. Resolution can depend on the monitor, so there is no compatible resolution.

9 hours ago, Atriplex said:

All,

Is it not handy to create a new armbian stream for the NanoPi K2 ?

Armbian is THE development platform for armbased CPU's

Peter

Armbian is based on Debian that has ARM support for many CPUs. Aarch64 is a standard that is why you can update Armbian to Debian testing. Amlogic S905 is a 64-bit CPU like S912.  Add a new repository: deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian testing main

Note the coutry code, you can change it. Here is a list of supported Debian architectures.

https://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/

Only the kernel and device drivers must match your hardware. User level software is common in a CPU architecture.

8 minutes ago, debianxfce said:

Armbian is based on Debian that has ARM support for many CPUs.

Surely, aarch64 package base and our standard custom work on top of Debian is more or less o.k. / matured, but most problems on those boards are below userspace - on u-boot and kernel level. Standard arm64 Debian / Ubuntu kernel most likely won't even boot.

Within Armbian we would also like to provide clean building process, starting with boot loader. Here some code cleaning / fixing is needed or workaround.

On 6/17/2017 at 10:23 PM, debianxfce said:

Add the line to /etc/modules:

wifi_dummy

Upgrade to Debian testing and install Wicd and remove networkmanager and systemd networking.service. Install correct firmware to /lib/firmware, use dmesg to see if firmware is missing  This is solution for Sunvell T95Z Plus Amlogic S912. Resolution can depend on the monitor, so there is no compatible resolution.

I will try today and let you know. Not sure how to do all of the steps (really new in this), but I will try. Any another advice will be great :)

Thanks ! :)

On 19/06/2017 at 10:57 AM, Toast said:

yay another shitty piracy board for Kodi im sure that the kodi devs will be happy about that ... 

Just to say @Toast please take this back  Ubuntu Core Image released today...hopefully kernel source to follow. 

http://wiki.friendlyarm.com/wiki/index.php/NanoPi_K2
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/8xn2iirciznqh/S905

For the NanoPi-K2 presents Ubuntu Core system, including Qt-Embedded graphical interface library, the system features are as follows:
    Supports HDMI output
    Support WiFi connection
    Supports Gigabit Ethernet
    Support for Bluetooth transmission
    Built-in Qt-Embedded
Thanks to the powerful performance of the A53 architecture processor, 2G memory and Gigabit Ethernet, the NanoPi-K2 is ideal for use as an IoT server or DIY lightweight servers such as Nas.

Anyone find a GPIO map to translate the header pin numbers to use the /sys/class/gpio? I'm getting my K2 board tomorrow, but now see that there is 0 documentation on using the GPIO. FA's matrix project doesn't seem to support the K2 either.

36 minutes ago, Larry Bank said:

Anyone find a GPIO map to translate the header pin numbers to use the /sys/class/gpio? I'm getting my K2 board tomorrow, but now see that there is 0 documentation on using the GPIO. FA's matrix project doesn't seem to support the K2 either.

I don't think this is at all what you're asking for but I was able to use pyA20 library to successfully toggle and read some reed switches, SSD1306 screens and more using a NanoPiNeoAir. Obviously pins would be different but at least they have the same manufacturer in common. Just thought I'd put it out there. Don't know if it's going to be any help. Good luck.

20 hours ago, StuxNet said:

I don't think this is at all what you're asking for but I was able to use pyA20 library to successfully toggle and read some reed switches, SSD1306 screens and more using a NanoPiNeoAir. Obviously pins would be different but at least they have the same manufacturer in common. Just thought I'd put it out there. Don't know if it's going to be any help. Good luck.

I appreciate your suggestion, but I don't think that will work. I also have a NanoPi 2 board and it has a completely different GPIO arrangement. Luckily it is supported by the matrix app and I was able to write my own code to talk to GPIO+SPI (ili9341 display). Each board is unique and the way the GPIO is wired is non-standard. The SPI+I2C have Linux drivers with simple interfaces. The GPIO has a Linux driver, but unique numbering scheme.

Yup. As mentioned, obviously pins would be different but I thought maybe you could 'map' that existing library to conform to NanoPi 2. I honestly have no clue though. That kinda stuff is not my forte.

I was able to write my own code to talk to GPIO+SPI (ili9341 display)

Wanna drop a link of your findings? Potentially help some other use down the line?

Got some responses to my emails to FriendlyARM - confirms that they're more pathetic than I ever imagined. When I asked for how to enable SPI on the NanoPi-K2 they said "We've not tested the SPI driver under the Ubuntu Core, you can test it by yourself." When I asked about the GPIO pin mapping they said "Now we also don't have a map which translates the header pin numbers into GPIO numbers, you will need to calculate it by yourself." WTF!

Update: digging around through the kernel info I was able to map the GPIO header pins to the /sys/class/gpio numbers. I updated my project -> https://github.com/bitbank2/SPI_LCD with the new table which translates header pin numbers into GPIO numbers.

Now all that's missing is the SPI driver. Anyone know how to build the s905 spidev driver for Ubuntu core?

Edited by Larry Bank
new info

Any tricks to get wifi to work? Am using ubuntu mate image 20170808 from Leo-sp50 yandex disk.

Looking at lshw -c network shows only the LAN interface. 

The board has an AP6212 chip that features Wifi + bluetooth. I can't find any hint of this in dmesg output, I'm guessing I need to install something extra to get it to work.

I tested my nanopi k2 using friendlyarms android image so I know hardware is functioning.

looking to use this unit to control a telescope using Indi/kstars/ekos and mate is good platform for those, hence I haven't tried the Debian release.

(so regretting not going for the odroid c2!)

thanks folks

EDIT : So its just a matter of adding 'wifi_dummy' to /etc/modules
I'd tried that earlier but must have had a broken install thanks to my tinkering. Just did a fresh re-image and edited the modules file. Wifi now working.

Edited by Nudenut
solve my own problem, by correcting my own mistake