AP6212 in Mainline

Now that I've done builds for NanoPiM1Plus2 and BananaPiM2Plus, along with the previous series OPiZeroPlus-H3/OPiZeroPlus-H5/OPiWin/OPiPrime, and that all of those boards has the same symptoms of missing AP6212 (+/- some have mmc-sdio appear, some not), I've continue my search for hints.

To my discovery, I found the following quote in http://linux-sunxi.org/Sinovoip_Banana_Pi_M2%2B

Mainline kernel

(everything working except of WiFi/BT due to lack of interest)

I hope that is not true any more ... :wacko:

Ok ! I've finally found some discripancies in DT between H3 and H5 : the reset-gpios default level in wifi-pwrseq of DT.

Thoses fixes the OPiZeroPlus2-H5 as well as NanoPiM1Plus2-H5. Next nigthlies should reflect that.

(Be aware for those two boards : MicroUSB powering is choking when WiFi get powered. I need some new stronger cables)

A side note : OPiWin still not work with the same medecine, as well as the BanadaPi-M2-Ultra ... I will dig further ...

EDIT : For those who trying fresh builds, you sill need @tkaiser firmware hack, which is not part of the images yet :

download /lib/firmware/ap6212/fw_bcm43438a1.bin and copy it under /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43430-sdio.bin.

Good !

But I still don't see the fw_bcm43438a1.bin in neither output/debs/armbian-firmware-full_5.27_arm64.deb or output/debs/armbian-firmware-full_5.27_armhf.deb.

So, I still have to manually install it from manual download... :wacko:

Igor, I know that are there in github, it is where I've download them, but there are not in the built image since it seems to install them, from my understanding, from the armbian-firmware-full_5.27_armhf.deb which still older than the commit date.

Just delete your local copy in deb directory and it will be recreated when creating an image & EXTERNAL="yes" for compile.sh 

I think that's all. 

On 14.5.2017 at 4:15 AM, martinayotte said:

OPiWin still not work with the same medecine, as well as the BanadaPi-M2-Ultra ... I will dig further ...

Are now both having working WiFi/BT ?

What about M2+ ?

M2+ must work too, but for BT you need to enable UART where it is attached to and load BT firmware. I didn't look into this yet ... I guess not out the box if you are asking that?

The M2+ gets hot and the camera connector is also broken ON THE Engineering Sample (ES) we have got.
Just lately I received this message:
Hardware hack, to get the voltage down to 1,2V so the temperature would be reasonable. A Guide is here but includes soldering and a pretty small part as well.

Then I saw that http://www.retrorangepi.org/ (forum www.orangepi.club) have an image for M2+. So I thought the H3 would be great for RetroGaming with its CPU-Power, better than RPi-2 and let it run until it burns :-)

But the PlayStation3 controller would not simply connect (Bluetooth) and when I asked in the forum I have received a rather complicated instruction for a well known AP6212 and I was surprised. This is where I am coming from.
So you say that even if the retrorangepi guys take the latest image, BT wouldn't work?

36 minutes ago, Tido said:

So you say that even if the retrorangepi guys take the latest image, BT wouldn't work?

Please, why don't you accept the reality: Sinovoip sending out broken hardware as 'gift' or 'developer sample'! Your device is one of these crapboards and you know it already. You want to play games? Please do so! With whatever hardware you find. And if it's not working simply throw it in the bin.

@Igorand others: can we please stop wasting our time with shitty hardware? Fiddling around with broken BPi M2+ PCB rev 1.0 crap with potentially wrong schematics? If this 'famous company' wants to improve they should stop sending out broken crap to developers but the hardware users will later have in hands. But they don't even get this.

@Tido If you want BT working do it on your own on your broken board, check their github repo what they changed now and then (you know that they don't even care having wrong hardware descriptions for their own stuff on Github!), use their forum to get in contact with BPi M2+ owners that have the later PCB revisions and as soon as you come up with a working solution for PCB rev 1.1 using AP6212 and also for later PCBs using AP6212A then send a PR against Armbian repo that works for every M2+ out there.

BTW: This OtakuNekoP guy is one of those Banana folks! He also hangs around in linux-sunxi IRC. That's their way to deal with their own hardware failures. Providing a 'fix' one year later in their forum in such a way.

10 minutes ago, Igor said:

In last batch I got M2+ v.1.1 (non ES) which has AP6212 without (A)

And this last batch arrived just a few weeks ago (with f*cked up papers so everything was stuck at customs). They send you the old/outdated board revision with AP6212 while they switched already months ago to AP6212A (needing a different firmware) on the boards they sell to their clueless customers. And these Sinovoip morons don't even get what's wrong with this.

@tkaiser  calm down. And MY tinker board has a 1,2m long cable (from Nexus 4 (an LG phone)  attached to the great IKEA PowerSupply it works as it should. You see some things work even if YOU cannot imagine. And by repeating it 12 times (instead of simply link to a previous post) dosen't make it more true and that "your mileage may vary".

To come back to the topic. Unfortunately I only have V1.0 but beside the temperature and camera I am not aware of other changes. When you mentioning AP6212 without (A).. mine says

AP6212

B10F901E

What is the reasoning mention the "A" ?

BTW, I've committed a preliminary AP6212 integration for BPiM2+Ultra DTS.

But, to my surprise, BPiM2+Ultra WL-WAKEUP is not attached to some GPIO of the R40, so I've left it commented in the DTS.

This is may one of the reason with I wasn't able to make it work : the wlan0 appears but doesn't receive it DHCP response.

Or this is related to the fact that it is not a "A" version, since I'm now getting the same issue with plain BPiM2+, although it worked last week.

Just FYI, OPi Win use AP6212A. WiFi & BT works fine on legacy kernel, just do as @igor say, enable uart and load the firmware for the A series.

Small tip: if you are using TTL debug BT does not work.

I've done that for ZeroPlus-H3/ZeroPlus-H5/NanoPiM1Plus2-H5 Mainline with success !

But still no success with OPiWin on Mainline ...

Maybe I've done a mistake somewhere or there is a mistake on schematic ...

Could you confirmed me what pins are used on Legacy FEX for WL-PWREN and WL-WAKE ?

53 minutes ago, martinayotte said:

Could you confirmed me what pins are used on Legacy FEX for WL-PWREN and WL-WAKE ?

PL02 and PL03.

Can you please point where you are pulling the u-boot and kernel? I can't find your DTS.

Oh !!! Thanks !

That's mean the schematic is wrong since it is stating PL7/PL8 !

I will try PL2/PL3 tomorrow, since it already late tonight here ...

The commit in Ambian is done thru a patch which create the DTS.

https://github.com/armbian/build/blob/master/patch/kernel/sun50i-dev/add_orangepiwin_dts.patch

EDIT : BTW, the DTS changes for WiFi are not committed yet ... Maybe tomorrow if PL2/PL3 works.

On 5/17/2017 at 10:27 PM, martinayotte said:

EDIT : BTW, the DTS changes for WiFi are not committed yet ... Maybe tomorrow if PL2/PL3 works.

Just to correct my info, we agreed PL7/PL8 is the correct one!

I've added some of the Icenowy patches for PMIC to control VCC-WIFI over reg_dldo4 and reg_eldo1, but doesn't seems to be enough ...

I guess I will have to put some traces directly into SDIO code to figure out why it doesn't shows up during probing.

That is excellent news on the OPiWin ... do you think that it should/will work on the OPi Win+ (AP6212A) ? I had hoped that they'd kept the same spec but just updated the ram chips .....

I have one of these for a project. I have installed the latest updates and even recompiled my own kernel debs from build system with no luck. I did see some information about the dhd module in other posts but i can't find it.

Otherwise, what can i do to help get this working ? Do i need to do a full image install rather than upgrades ? In terms of my skill level, i'm a unix admin of some years so happy to supply debug output etc etc

Many, many thanks for all the awesome work

i've tried the update and the 170525 full image with no luck.

the update brings up the other wifi dongle but i can't see the other one. log files attached. i can't tell with the full image because i can't login .... i'll try some dodgy hacks to see if i can get that info :)

in terms of errors, i can't see any ... i can't see the bootup procedure as it doesnt seem to talk with hdmi (talks about simplefb mode/node not found) and i dont get a login prompt on the screen.

does the debug ttl connection work ? i had a quick look around but couldnt find a pinout description (i have a usb ttl device)

logfiles.zip

OK, the full image seems to work. I'll keep playing around and see if i can find any issues.

Is there any specific that you'd like me to test ?

Also, does the wifi driver support AP mode ?