need help install usb wifi

Armnlegs

I have usb 802.11b/g that works as i plug it in UBUNTU Desktop on ACER Laptop.

works on Armbian for OPIPC but doesn't work on RetroPie PC.

on Desktop it is working with RT2800usb driver. Chip itself is RT2070L.

on Retropie PC, it is listed when I'd LSUSB.

I'd tried to download .deb driver for it but unsuccessful.

what's other options do i have?

32 minutes ago, Armnlegs said:

works on Armbian for OPIPC but doesn't work on RetroPie PC.

Lack of firmware package? You need to ask the one who built this image ... 

Yea, i wish i could ask them(orangepi.org) but not able to register.

So i was going different route.

I went ahead and install just Armbian and wifi works, but no audio.

tried youtube, brought up the audio graph, see it goes up and down as there are sound but silent.

gotta have one or the other, can't have both.

Just received new usb 802.11N and tried this one out fresh with new image, still doesn't work. I once could  putty in but now it doesn't even show up as connected to my lan.

1 hour ago, Armnlegs said:

Just received new usb 802.11N and tried this one

On any Linux, not just with Armbian, if you are not a hacker, you buy only wireless dongles, that are known to work. 

We don't even try to support 3rd party hardware since we hardly manage to follow what's part of the board. General way to go:

https://docs.armbian.com/User-Guide_Advanced-Features/#how-to-build-a-wireless-driver

while you need to have driver sources and firmware.

Sound works on HDMI by default, while for Youtube, read a couple of those posts:
https://forum.armbian.com/index.php?/search/&q=browser youtube

Thanks again.

Armbian:

I might have to copy some audio video file over to test. 

Sound works on HDMI by default, while for Youtube, read a couple of those posts:
https://forum.armbian.com/index.php?/search/&q=browser youtube

Retro/Armbian:

Not sure why i'm not connected to home network anymore.  This is why I was wonder if there's a driver I could download and use the link document.

So this /boot/script.bin and ...I forgot something ***.config.  Are they Retro script or Armbian? 

It would be nice to have TV/monitor with HDMI next to LAN, so I don't have to run up and down plugging and unplugging.

1 hour ago, Armnlegs said:

Are they Retro script or Armbian? 

Retro is based on Armbian but I am not familiar with what they changed. /boot/script.bin is (blob) board configuration for Allwinner boards on kernels older than 3.10. You can use bin2fex and fex2bin tools to convert this blob to text, edit and convert back to bin. But you have to understand what you are doing there ...

On 6.05.2017 г. at 7:53 AM, Armnlegs said:

works on Armbian for OPIPC but doesn't work on RetroPie PC.

What do you mean with RetroPie PC? Isn't it for raspberries? If you meant RetrOrangePi, it work above Armbian Debian desktop. You can go to "Desktop" from RetrOrangePi GUI and connect wifi through Network manager in Armbian. I have two Ralink adaptersand they work out of the box in Armbian, but in newer 3.01 of RetrOrangePi, you have to connect wifi manually through "Desktop", while in older 3.0 there where option in RetrOrangePi gui.

Yes retrorangepi. 

Sdcard1: 32GB. Armbian. Wifi works.  No sound. 

Sdcard2: 128GB. Retrorangepi. Wifi doesn't work. Sound on the other hand. Works in ES. Once go to desktop or games, no sound. Pictured.

10 hours ago, Igor said:

You can use bin2fex and fex2bin tools to convert this blob to text, edit and convert back to bin. But you have to understand what you are doing there ...

I did. That's how I got my video audio to work via analog in ES. Now just need wifi to work along with sound in desktop. 

20170510_230523.jpg

So you don't have driver problem. Did you upgrade Armbian (sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade)? Retrorangepi guys don't recommend this, because it can break things like this and i know for sure, upgrade will break OpenElec in Retrorangepi. But if you don't do upgrade in Armbian, you can try to. I had problems, connecting wifi, once. The massage was something about i don't have permission for this. Reboot solve my problem, then. You can try to login first in terminal and connect through nmtui. Or you can google a little - Unable to connect - No plugin supported this connection. It doesn't seems to be Armbian specific problem, but wifi connection naming is different in Jessie and Xenial - which is used most for Desktop images of Armbian.