Armbian / Debian vs Ubuntu - future versions?

bozden

Hi,

After the latest website changes, downloads of the Debian versions went deeper and I have a feeling that Ubuntu versions are promoted. I used to use Debian in development as it is developed more rapidly.

Are there any plans for the future in this area? As much of my work is script based that may mean a big change for me...

Thanks...

Yes, we promote Ubuntu with a reason - Ubuntu Xenial has more recent and polished package base with less troubles than Debian Jessie. In desktop area we ran into enough troubles which lead to abandoning support for Debian desktop versions, while server remain fully supported. If there are no download options, you need to build it on your own.

When Debian moves to Stretch, we plan to follow and situation will most likely turn in favour of Debian.

Thank you for clarification Igor... Debian server is mainly fine for most purposes...

It was almost time to learn how to compile own in-house distros :/

Do you have any plans to publish new legacy versions? 3.4.113 is almost EOL...

15 minutes ago, bozden said:

Do you have any plans to publish new legacy versions? 3.4.113 is almost EOL...

No, legacy kernels won't get much if any updates and also no more recent kernel (Allwinner boards). But mainline support is already very good, on A10-20-A31 is perfectly fine, while H3 needs some and H5 some more work to become ready for production usage. For server case scenarios, while video acceleration and 3D drivers won't get (if at all) here anytime soon.

Thank you for the info. I'll start with mainline kernel this summer.

I actually need it for Opi's (H3 / H5) and in some cases with video acceleration. But I need to test it for video without acceleration.

What is keeping me away is scripting the whole setup thing.