Orange Pi Zero H5 Boots but no wifi

symgryph

I did manage to use the rmbian_5.27_Orangepizeroplus2-h5_Debian_jessie_dev_4.11.0.img.xz image and things boot fine. I also get pretty console on hdmi. But no network, and I don't have a way to get the keyboard on. Any suggestions on what kind of an adapter I need to get power AND usb keyboard to the thing (since there are no extra ports on it)? Or is it serial? Good recommendation on proper 'converter". I did modify the initial armbian_first_boot to enable wifi with proper ssid / password, and even enabled static, but no dice.

Thomas

You failed to see important signs / tips / tags / warnings:

- images are experimental

- don’t use them for anything productive but just to give constructive feedback to developers

https://dl.armbian.com/orangepizeroplus2-h5/Ubuntu_xenial_dev.7z.torrent

This image is tested and at least wireless work, second one, nightly build is automatic build and no idea if it works ... In any case, you are on your own. Those images are far from done.

Use H3 version of this board for real world cases.

Hello, all! I have a related problem.

I'm running the Ubuntu Xenial image running on an H5 board, and everything was running fine initially from SD, but I just moved my install to EMMC and now the wlan0 device is gone. If I look at ip link, the only thing I have is lo. I have been Googling around for a bit and I just can't see how to get my wlan0 back. 

I tried switching my "allow-hotplug wlan0" to "auto wlan0" like lo is set up. That didn't work either. It's like the device itself was disabled during the copy process.

I know the H5 is an "experimental" board. It's not my main sbc. However, it is one I'd like to get running to play with.

Even booting off SD card, I'm still getting no wlan0 now. I have no idea what I did.

Any ideas? 

If you do an apt-get upgrade you loose the wifi, the image called Armbian_5.27.170601_Orangepizeroplus2-h5_Ubuntu_xenial_dev_4.11.1 works fine and I have it running on EMMC for 19.8 hours and getting close to 250.000 MQTT calls without problems. I used a cheap serial board called CJMCU CP2102 MICRO USB to UART TTL from aliexpress to connect to the board through PUTTY

And I'm powering it up with GPIO 4 (5volt) and GPIO 6 (Ground)

mqtt.png

Oh, now THIS is bizarre!

So, I told you I got it working with the reflash. Well, that was temporary. After transferring back to the EMMC, I opened /etc/network/interfaces to configure my network. I uncommented the line "iface wlan0 inet dhcp" and rebooted. wlan0 was gone! I opened interfaces and re-commented that line, then rebooted...and poof! It was back!

I copied the ap6212 firmware over the brcm firmware like @martinayotte suggested, but wlan0 still is gone.

So....I commented out the entire interfaces file except for the lo lines at the end and tried configuring the wireless using nmtui. That worked! 

Bizarro-world. Any idea of what could CAUSE that?