Cannot Install Armbian on Cubieboard 2

Guren Wolf

Hello Armbian community.

Recently,  I decided do try new distros for the Cubieboard 2. and Armbian seemed to be a really good option. However, just booting the latest image started to cause problems.

After writing the image with the proper software on a proper SD card as mentioned by this webpage, it just doesn't work at all. To be brief, I took pictures of what appears on the screen, first being what seems like to be an error displayed by text, then a really messed up screen, and finally the board shutting down by itself.

I would appreciate any help or recommendations regarding this issue.

WP_20170520_001.jpg

WP_20170520_005.jpg

If I assume your powering is O.K., than we are (again) facing a problem with u-boot. I have seen this on my Cubietruck once but currently is working fine (we did some fixing) - please try booting some Cubietruck image and latest one: https://dl.armbian.com/cubietruck/nightly/ to see if this problem is fixed upstream. I don't own this particular board to try by myself. 

Hello Igor.

Yes, my power source delivers 2A and I am just powering the board with no external loads (not significant ones) but the USB keyboard and mouse. I don't own a Cubietruck to test the image you are suggesting, or can I boot it from my Cubieboard 2? If not, I guess I'll just have to wait until the problem is fixed to see the good material that this distro comes with. At least I know is not my board or other items (Yes, I burned the image several times on different SD cards getting the same result).

Thanks a lot.

Cubieboard2 and Cubietruck are very similar - we used to have one image for both in the past ... if you get it working with Cubietruck images and if you can provide feedback, we can try to fix this problem.

Well after burning this image into my SD card:

Armbian_5.27.170522_Cubietruck_Ubuntu_xenial_next_4.11.2.7z          2017-05-20           22:32                       230.8 MB

Everything went alright, the system booted with no problems. Just found out the versions provided on the link before are mainline only (no desktop); but the Cubietruck image works on my Cubieboard 2 with no problems so far.

Is there a legacy version? I need GUI for some applications I'm planning to implement.

Just to mention, I tried  legacy images for Cubietruck in my Cubieboard 2, and the problem I talked about at the beginning of the topic is the same, including the messed up screen. Doesn't anyone know about any desktop Cubieboard 2 images for SD card and NAND that are stable?. I've been looking all over the internet, but it seems like Cubieboard hasn't gotten any significant support for a long time, quite a bad thing when you consider the capabilities of the board.

If you have some more patience, we will fix this problem, because Armbian must run stable on those A20 boards. People are having years of uptime with it and main Armbian WEB infrastructure was running on one A20 board until it was possible.

If we would drop support, than you would be able to boot some three years old u-boot and kernel (with bugs and security holes) w/o noticeable problem. We are moving on and provide most recent kernel and u-boot. This comes with a price, which you just experienced.

Tomorrow morning, in about 16 hours from now, you will have two nightly desktop images for Cubieboard2, build from recent sources. Check then and see if they work.

https://dl.armbian.com/cubieboard2/

"NAND", "stable" and "modern kernel" is unfortunately not possible.

I understand what you are saying completely.

I just wanna make clear, by no means I'm trying to be or sound demanding at all. When it comes to development, I am impressed by how hard communities and groups like this one get things together to make everything work. Actually, this is one of a few forums where a topic like this one (probably not so deep into the knowledge of Linux operating systems and kernels) is taken so much into account, including feedback.

From an engineer's point of view, who's knowledge into Linux is not very broad, I'll do as much as possible to cooperate because I know what it is to do things from scratch. Thanks for the quick responses as well. I'll begin testing this new "Nightly" release as soon as possible (probably after 3 hours of download).

After a few days of testing the basics, everything seems to work perfect with the "Nightly" release.

Apt-get repositories get updated with the latest and no problems at all.

The interface is amazing, aesthetic, quick.

Boot time is quick as well.

No glitches (so far).

So yeah, you guys nailed it with this, finally got to try an Armbian distro and just let me say, it is outstanding.