orange pi zero sd card move to usb for booting ?

aishen

I have a small sdcard on an orange pi zero and I would like just to keep it for booting, installing package and doing all work on key usb (16 Go) english is not my mother language and what I have read up to now is very difficult to understand i would like somenthing step by step  like the diespi installation tutorial, well I forget to say I have dietpi on my 2Go sd card works fine wifi too.

Regards

HG

thanks you ... where is the script ?

I got one from your github but I have lot of errors ?

Which I don't understand

root@DietPi:~# sh nand-sata-install.sh
nand-sata-install.sh: 15: nand-sata-install.sh: [[: not found
nand-sata-install.sh: 24: nand-sata-install.sh: [[: not found
nand-sata-install.sh: 37: nand-sata-install.sh: [[: not found
nand-sata-install.sh: 42: nand-sata-install.sh: declare: not found
nand-sata-install.sh: 43: nand-sata-install.sh: mkopts[ext2]=-qF: not found
nand-sata-install.sh: 44: nand-sata-install.sh: mkopts[ext3]=-qF: not found
nand-sata-install.sh: 45: nand-sata-install.sh: mkopts[ext4]=-qF: not found
nand-sata-install.sh: 46: nand-sata-install.sh: mkopts[btrfs]=-f: not found
nand-sata-install.sh: 48: nand-sata-install.sh: mountopts[ext2]=defaults,noatime,nodiratime,commit=600,errors=remount-ro    0    1: not found
nand-sata-install.sh: 49: nand-sata-install.sh: mountopts[ext3]=defaults,noatime,nodiratime,commit=600,errors=remount-ro    0    1: not found
nand-sata-install.sh: 50: nand-sata-install.sh: mountopts[ext4]=defaults,noatime,nodiratime,commit=600,errors=remount-ro    0    1: not found
nand-sata-install.sh: 51: nand-sata-install.sh: mountopts[btrfs]=defaults,noatime,nodiratime,compress=lzo            0    2: not found
nand-sata-install.sh: 315: nand-sata-install.sh: Syntax error: "(" unexpected (expecting "}")

Dietpi is made from Armbian Debian server. Low level (kernel / u-boot) bugs are the same, while they certainly created new bugs in user space level due to hard modifications. Modifications also raises security risks. "unimportant" packages were removed - which actually transfer normal build into half network install - and this stripped down image provide them a reason to claim a label "lightweight" which is not true.

You need to run Armbian Debian or Ubuntu to be able to make use of such low level utilities.

7 minutes ago, aishen said:

root@DietPi

DietPi is not supported here - looks like the default shell was changed to something that is not compatible with Bash. Maybe DietPi has its own scripts for installing to USB - but you should check DietPi documentation or their forum.

nand-sata-install was designed to work on official Armbian images.

Dietpi is made from Armbian Debian server. Low level (kernel / u-boot) bugs are the same, while they certainly created new bugs in user space level due to hard modifications. Modifications also raises security risks. "unimportant" packages were removed - which actually transfer normal build into half network install - and this stripped down image provide them a reason to claim a label "lightweight" which is not true.

As soon as packages marked as "essential" in the build scripts are removed you cannot guarantee that Armbian specific tools and scripts will function properly. Otherwise DietPi distribution is lighter that default Armbian builds (don't know why it may matter if finding good SD cards of 4GB and lower is a challenge) and it definitely has a target audience.

I have baught few sd card, but too recently and I haven't yet received them.  I am making some experiment, sorry if it's not the right forum... On 16 Go sd card I started with ubuntu armbian and it works fine... But I couldn't start wireless wifi network. With dietpi it works fine because they have application (dietpi-config) to manage it. I just started orangepizero, I have the card for a long time but (i think from july 2016) but at that time I wasn't able to config them, now with the good tutorials i am able to do it. It's just a matter of time but I think it can be interesting to know how to do it... It's always sad to die uneducated... lol ! even if the result is the same !

10 minutes ago, aishen said:

But I couldn't start wireless wifi network.

It's really that hard to put "wireless" into docs search? This is first and correct hit:

https://docs.armbian.com/User-Guide_Getting-Started/#how-to-connect-to-wireless

BTW. Next build comes with armbian-config, where you will be able to config directly from menu ... and learn nothing.

No it is not heard... But after reading and trying it didn't work. Apparently you seem to think that everything that is written works for everyone which is not the case.

Dietpi is neatly more adapted to orangepizero for beginner and easy installation.

43 minutes ago, aishen said:

But after reading and trying it didn't work. Apparently you seem to think that everything that is written works for everyone which is not the case.

Stable images are tested - we are not wasting your time.

If you have Orange Pi Zero:

1. Download https://dl.armbian.com/orangepizero/Ubuntu_xenial_default.7z

2. Burn to SD and boot

3. Login via serial or SSH and execute: nmtui-connect This connects you to wireless network in no time.

If you have some other board, download appropriate image and sends us logs if things doesn't work that we can improve Armbian (and it's derivates ;) If you don't use Armbian or wrong Armbian image, manual might not work.

Anyone can try and confirm this - you are doing something wrong.

Dietpi is neatly more adapted to orangepizero for beginner and easy installation.

Their "more" adaptation of Orangepizero is exactly zero.

3 hours ago, Igor said:

Anyone can try and confirm this - you are doing something wrong.

Confirmed. I did this just last week with two Orange Pi Zeros. 

3 hours ago, Igor said:

Their "more" adaptation of Orangepizero is exactly zero.

DietPi "more" adaptation was to put menus on stuff which are nice for a novice, but also restrictive if you only stick to the menus. Then there are gaping security holes, and questionable hard-coded design choices. But hey, it works for some people, so I won't knock it too much! ;) I'd just prefer to start from a solid base, and work my way up knowing that it won't come back to bite me later!