5" 800x480 waveshare lcd working but messed up image.

Joshua Ellinger

Ok first, im new to linux, i am moving from windows and becoming a linux user. (trying to learn linux)

So i used the command- sudo h3disp -m 800x480 -d

It is the correct resolution for the lcd but idk what exactly is going on with my display, it works but the screen is chopped off.

im not sure what to do  

Im using an orange pi one and latest armbian desktop image from the armbian download page                                                100_0431.thumb.JPG.a2b640b30ef798c82e5c7ae4150ef716.JPG

And what is native resolution of this screen? If it is some weirdo, kernel hacking and some math is required. That is hard even for experienced Linux users.

If you don't want to have painful early Linux experiences, use standard hardware. 1080p / full HD monitor in this case.

@Igor The screen is rated at 800x480 and 800x480 is an option in h3disp, but when i choose it, that is the image i get. Its at the rotation that its supposed to be at (none). Its really confusing me. Also if i open a window and then close it, it kinda stays there like a water mark but goes away after about 1 min or so. Refresh rate maybe?

58 minutes ago, Joshua Ellinger said:

i am moving from windows and becoming a linux user

That is the second biggest obstacle here. First one is you failed to read basic support text "Make sure to collect and provide all necessary information" saying we don't provide help for 3rd party hardware. I can't help you - perhaps somebody else who own such display.

It seems that numbers in hdmi driver are wrong for this mode. Here is a patch which might solve the issue, although not tested for obvious reasons:

https://transfer.sh/UCKIH/zzz-fix-video-modes.patch

Note that link is valid only for 14 days.

You can add this patch to build system and build your own image. If it works, we can include it in upstream repo. Although if you are not familiar with linux, this might be a nice challenge, but you will learn a few things along.