Most suitable SBC for DVB-T2

Guest HeinrichG

Guest HeinrichG

Hello guys,

I hope, I picked the right section.

I'm looking for a most suitable SBC for DVB-T2 decoding. Here in Germany is DVB-T dead, so the successor DVB-T2 is there. BUT, the codec here is H.265 and not H.264...

So, my idea is to use an PCTV tripleStick 292e, which is supported by LinuxTV sind kernel version 3.16. This stick is able to decode H.264 in hardware. So, to decode H.265 I need a SoC which is supporting H.265 in hardware.

The suitable SoC are i.e. Amlogic S905 (Odroid C2) and RK3266 (Asus Tinker).

Which SBC would you take for it? I would like to use mainline kernel, if it's possible. :)

What I need:

-> (optional, but really nich to have) mainline support

-> H.265 support in hardware

-> I would like to use VLC to watch TV

Thank you.

Instead of a 'common guys' I would recommend to present your research about your use case. Maybe some experienced users will tell you why your choice is a good/bad idea. I'm definitely not an expert on all this media center stuff, but as far as I know, everything that has to do with hardware accelerated decoding seems to be tricky/not possible with mainline.

For serving and running tvheadend (for example) any SBC with mainline kernel should do the job, while for playing content - those which have good KODI support. Don't operate much in this area so I can only guess that C2 might do the job? If you go into two board setup, than you have more options since Open(Libre)elec works ok also on H3, Imx6, ... 

Don't know anything regarding 264/265 codec support diff.

Guest HeinrichG

@chwe: Is my research not enough? You can see here the codecs, which are necessary, the use case ( = DVB-T2 receiver and output on tv).

@Igor: My aim is not the streaming throw network, the output device is TV (= HDMI). That means: DVB-T2 Stick --> Linux device (i.e. /dev/video0 or something like that) --> w_scan (creating a channel list) --> VLC (take the channel list and "play" HEVC stream).

But, I think it should be possible to use KODI for this.

1 hour ago, HeinrichG said:

@chwe: Is my research not enough?

It's never enough. :D

To make it clear, your thread started good with the description of your needs. Also the proposal of two SoCs you thought about. But the 'common guys'  sounds like the good old 'UP' to me (mostly written on the marketplace parts of various forums). Something like: Since my last post, I found out that the Asus Tinker has a 'random benefit' but I'm still not sure about the H.265 support. 
Maybe, some one like @TonyMac32 , who's, to my knowlege, really active on the developement to get armbian to work on the Asus Tinker, will jump in and share his knowlege about the H.265 support situation. You should also consider that one day isn't that a long period to get an answer to a specific use case. Don't understand it wrong. I just wanna help that you're get your answer as soon as possible. Not to criticize your starting post. :)

edit: not armbian related, but it seems that RockChip is working on H.264/H.265 (see also on github) hardware accelerated decoding. I've no clue if this helps you.

Guest HeinrichG

A lot of useless off-topic text... but, some informations are in, ok.

Don't understand this wrong, but, if you don't have a clue or "not sure", please write .. nothing. Thank you. :)

The rk3288's H.265 support is supposedly a bit buggy and is considered "legacy" hardware by Rockchip.  I've not tested it to be honest, as I've been working on the peripherals/etc. 

@chwe I doubt my reply meets Heinrich's quality standard for freely provided information, sadly.

Guest HeinrichG

Hello Tony,

thank your for your reply. So, I think, it will be C2. :)

Your reply is absolutely ok, I've no idea that the problem of chwe is...

9 minutes ago, HeinrichG said:

Your reply is absolutely ok

That's great, so we won't have to ban @TonyMac32right now! Nice feedback from your side. Maybe creating a tutorial 'how to help the right way?' or something like that? :P 

I really wonder how the average forum joe today would react when being confronted with http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

If you only want to watch TV, buy a cheap DVB-T2 receiver. If it's about watch and record content, IMO you should look for the cheapest android TV box (that's definitely cheaper than a proper powered SBC with a good SD-card), connect your USB DVB-T2 receiver, download their app (which has hopefully an included recording function), and maybe plex server for android to share your recorded content. If you wanna do the fancier stuff (thinking about a realtime analysis of the tv-program wherease every time they talk about Trump, two orange LEDs will shine and your twitterbot will post something under #orangeisthenewblack [/sarcasm_off]), than you should think about using an SBC for this use case. This comes always with a cost (mostly more time than money). So, if you don't get your answer as soon as you want  it's IMO better to add more information than just a simple: 'don't forget my thread'-post. 

The reason why I annoted this to @TonyMac32 was cause I thought he would have the knowledge, which would help you for your decision. Maybe I should avoid to jump into questions where a boring versions of 'up'/ 'don't forget my thread'/ 'give me the information faster'  follow-up posts are written. 

1 hour ago, chwe said:

If you only want to watch TV, buy a cheap DVB-T2 receiver. If it's about watch and record content, IMO you should look for the cheapest android TV box

There are also some cheap DVB-T2 HD receivers with PVR... Xoro something

@OP: I've run the "test mux" back in the days on the Orange Pi One with the myGica T230

The drivers can be auto-backported to 3.4 kernel with media_build, tough i remember having to somehow workaround missing i2c_mux kernel option

PQ was so-so.

On 03/07/2017 at 9:10 PM, HeinrichG said:

This stick is able to decode H.264 in hardware. So, to decode H.265 I need a SoC which is supporting H.265 in hardware.

Hi

I really doubt that a stick can decode H264 in hardware because USB2 is too slow to carry the result.

For H265 my orangePI PC was able to display 4K recordings on my HD TV .

This was with the Android OS

2 minutes ago, Ford Prefect said:

For H265 my orangePI PC was able to display 4K recordings on my HD TV .

This was with the Android OS

Works in Linux too: https://forum.armbian.com/index.php?/topic/789-breaking-news-choosing-armbian-speeds-up-your-orange-pi-multiple-times/&do=findComment&comment=6009 (check the timestamp, that was exactly 1 month after we started with experimental H3 legacy builds)