Upgrade Cubietruck kernel from legacy to mainline (Jessie)

farmerdave

Hi,

I've been running armbian (Debian Jessie) on my Cubietruck successfully for a while now, its mainly just an mpd server. It runs as a headless server and I use the optical spdif connection, ethernet (although I used to use the wireless). I have my root partition on a 2.5" hdd. I currently have:

• linux-image-3.4.106-cubieboard
  • linux-headers-3.4.106-cubieboard
  • linux-firmware-image-3.4.106-cubieboard

I've seen the page http://www.armbian.com/kernel/ and added the repository as instructed. I really just want to confirm if you think I'll run into any trouble with spdif and ethernet if I upgrade to mainline kernel. My understanding is that I should install:

• linux-image-next-sunxi
  • linux-headers-next-sunxi
  • linux-u-boot-cubietruck-next
  • linux-dtb-next-sunxi
  • linux-jessie-root-cubietruck
  • armbian-firmware

Should I also remove the legacy cubieboard packages listed?

You are trying to upgrade from an very old build, which in theory, should work but the problem might be boot script compatibility ...

27 minutes ago, farmerdave said:
  • linux-image-next-sunxi
  • linux-headers-next-sunxi
  • linux-u-boot-cubietruck-next
  • linux-dtb-next-sunxi
  • linux-jessie-root-cubietruck
  • armbian-firmware

One small mistake:

linux-jessie-root-next-cubietruck

If you have nothing to loose, do it ... but be prepared for problems and to start from scratch with fresh Jessie Next install.

Thanks! I think its a bit easy to make this mistake, the kernel page says to use "linux-jessie-root-DEVICE_NAME", perhaps it should read "linux-jessie-root-next-DEVICE_NAME"?

Unfortunately I do have a bit to lose, so I might have to think carefully if its actually necessary and worth it. Assuming I do go ahead, I see the boot script you linked to will also install /boot/armbianEnv.txt, which may be edited. I then just need to run 

mkimage -C none -A arm -T script -d /boot/boot.cmd /boot/boot.scr

before rebooting?