NanoPi NEO Plus2
1 1

11 posts in this topic

FriendlyARM has recently launched a new board in its NEO family: NanoPi NEO Plus2

As of Armbian_5.32.170704_Nanopineo2_Ubuntu_xenial_dev_4.11.8.img, few things aren't working:

1. out of 1GB RAM, only 512MB is visible
  2. the USB socket closer to the edge (USBN1) is not visible, even with overlays
  3. Wifi and Bluetooth are not visible (AP6212A)

(it's not a complaint, but just a statement :)

Somebody needs to create proper u-boot configuration and kernel device tree :P BTW. Engineering samples, which we received, are different - they don't have AP6212A but "beloved" XR819 known from Opi Zero. I assume the rest is the same, but it has to be checked.

almost forgot: there's onboard 8GB eMMC chip (actually preloaded with Ubuntu image), and it's also not visible if I boot the Nanopineo2 Armbian image. It will be great to have a way to push Armbian onto that chip too.

And mine has got an AP6212 without the A :unsure:

The pictures on FriendlyARM site show an AP6212A on the PCB, but the features listing and the pdf schematics clearly indicate AP6212 :lol:

On 18.7.2017 at 3:15 PM, Igor said:

I assume the rest is the same, but it has to be checked.

Voltage regulation is also different (none on the engineering samples, after I explained to FriendlyELEC's Weidong that voltage regulation just don't work with Allwinner's shitty legacy kernel but there's no problem with mainline he said they want to redesign NEO Plus2 to switch between 1.1V and 1.3V again and NanoPi M1 Plus 2 should even get I2C accessible voltage regulation like on larger Orange Pis.

On 19.7.2017 at 4:10 PM, etatto said:

And mine has got an AP6212 without the A :unsure:

Don't fool yourself. Ampak just recently started to mark AP6212A correctly, the AP6212A chips we find on many boards within the last half year all show 'AP6212' instead.

It's only a matter of firmware (and maybe still a tweak is needed with mainline kernel, didn't had a look since 1T1R/2.4GHz Wi-Fi is low performing crap anyway)

1 hour ago, tkaiser said:

voltage regulation just don't work with Allwinner's shitty legacy kernel but there's no problem with mainline

Would you mind elaborating how a fixed 1.1v for all frequencies on H5 works on mainline and not on legacy?

I would like to understand how this should work, from a hardware point of view an then from a software point of view, may i suggest a specific thread?

Yes i know you have discussed this for the H3....  

Feel free to move, delete or whatever.

8 minutes ago, @lex said:

Would you mind elaborating how a fixed 1.1v for all frequencies on H5 works on mainline and not on legacy?

Fixed voltage should work fine both on mainline and legacy, but if you want switching it on legacy - good luck&have fun since legacy relies on the ARICS firmware for DVFS, and at least people who tried to make it work didn't have any success.

10 hours ago, @lex said:

I would like to understand how this should work, from a hardware point of view an then from a software point of view, may i suggest a specific thread?

As far as I know with Allwinner's H5 BSP an OPi PC 2 is still not able to clock higher than 1008 MHz since here voltage regulation is simply broken (it might have changed but I stopped looking into Xunlong's/Buddy's Github repo since causing headache).

FriendlyELEC chose NanoPi NEO 2 to be a fixed voltage SBC for this reason: since they couldn't get voltage regulation to work. Then in March Icenowy and me were talking to them and I mentioned that voltage regulation is working already with mainline kernel. They discussed internally, decided to drop BSP support for their H3 and H5 boards and since they now can make use of DVFS to also re-design both NanoPi Neo Plus2 and NanoPi M1 Plus 2.

manuti likes this