rsyncing with Tinkerboard / Rock64

khaaaaaan!

Hi all, looking for a bit of advise.

I had an idea recently in that I have a problem of syncing a 20Tb USB 3.0 RAID0 drive with a 20Tb NAS. I have two fully duplicated RAID0 drives with no protection, so whenever I upgrade the capacity of a drive, I do a full sync. I do this maybe once a year. Whenever I have to do a full sync however it usually ties my MacBook up for a few weeks to transfer that much data over, so I had the idea recently of having a maker board do it since Linux/Armbian supports HFS+, I can just do an rsync between the two.

I opted to purchase a Tinkerboard for the GigE Ethernet (I'll live with the USB 2.0), installed, up and running all perfect but then I encountered a snag. When I tried to mount the 20Tb USB3.0 volume I got a 'File too large' error. I discovered that the problem was the 32bit kernel did not support drives upwards of 16Tb due to the page size! Doh! Since the CPU is 32bit I'll never get it to work. Even if I got it to work on the Raspberry Pi 3 (64bit chip) its not worth it due to 10/100 Ethernet. It'll take an age to transfer that data.

So that brings me to google searching and I came across the Rock64. GigE, USB3.0 (win!) 64bit CPU (win! win!). Perfect, but its currently unreleased. So the question begins,

What operating systems will be available for the Rock64, will the kernel be 64bit? Do we have USB 3.0 drivers working for the current build. I can't seem to find these answers anywhere just yet so I thought I'd try the forum.

Or does anyone know how I can make this work with the kit I already have?

Thanks.

khaaaan!

3 hours ago, khaaaaaan! said:

What operating systems will be available for the Rock64, will the kernel be 64bit? Do we have USB 3.0 drivers working for the current build.

64bit with USB3.0 operational, but as you already noticed, OS is not released, only some preview builds can be found around. Developers just got their first samples in their hand days/weeks ago. I would not use this in any serious setup for next few months.