Dev tool recommendations (software)

TonyMac32

Well, it's gotten to the point where I'm dedicating a PC to this, using the VM is only so useful.  Any recommendations on tools (Git gui's, specific code editors, etc?)  A lot of this stuff I already have ideas/"go-to"s, but I'd like some new ideas/recommendations.  And I think it would help out others to know.

What are you Dev-ing?  

I can share the opposite of what you're looking for since I do things the Site Reliability Engineer way.  

step 1 is ssh into my orange pi 2e, then

• fire up ssh-agent
  • fire up screen, or re-attach to screen session
  • goto my local git repos for ansible and terraform etc
  • fire up a terraform job to create an aws vpc, vpn, and spin up a c4 xlarge spot instance
  • run ansible job to install my keys, check out github repos for armbian, and setup rsync
  • ssh in
  • fire up vim with tabs
  • hack hack
  • compile.sh
  • hack hack
  • compile.sh
  • rsync image home 
  • dd image to sdcard
  • rinse;repeat
  • commit
  • terraform destroy

8 hours ago, TonyMac32 said:

Well, it's gotten to the point where I'm dedicating a PC to this, using the VM is only so useful.  Any recommendations on tools (Git gui's, specific code editors, etc?)

What is your host OS? And what is your plan for this dedicated PC - to use it as a headless build server or to move all development to it (with a desktop environment)?

I'd been running a virtual box VM on Windows 10, Ubuntu Xenial as the guest OS to run the Armbian build scripts.  Compilation was fast (it's the most powerful machine to my name), but writing to SD cards, etc was never very good, more or less everything that wasn't compiling kind of sucked, not to mention only being able to dedicate so much HDD to it, and multiple various vendor Linux source trees and such starts to get big fast.

I have a laptop I bought to give me some mobility (who wants to live in their basement?), It would be self-contained, so it would have desktop environment and be performing compilation, running Xenial.