OMV on Pine64+

clarkss12

7 hours ago, clarkss12 said:

now I would like to use it as a NAS.  I really have no idea how or where start.

You visit official download reposity for OMV/ARM and choose there OMV_3_0_71_Pine64_3.10.105.7z

This image is based on Armbian (Debian Jessie) and contains a few more tweaks so NAS performance will be better compared to using a stock Armbian image and installing the NAS daemons on your own. If you know what you're doing and don't need the OMV benefits you can look at the OMV optimizations (mostly /etc/cron.d/make_nas_processes_faster and smb.conf options for Samba. For Netatalk/AFP OMV contains also some tweaks so I would simply relying on OMV instead)

BTW: Once mainline kernel support is ready for A64 of course the basis will be switched away from smelly 3.10 legacy kernel to mainline. Then new OMV images will be released that will show slightly better performance (if you care about the disk enclosure or the USB-to-SATA bridge inside -- I'm talking about "USB Attached SCSI" here) but that won't change much and Pine64 will never be a really decent performing NAS anyway (and given that you need a powered USB hub or an externally powered USB disk enclosure even the  price tag is way too high)

Thank you Tkaiser and Tido, I just downloaded it and now will burn it to a microSD card and see how it works.  

I am in, using the web interface now.  I have to figure out how to use it, now...... haha.  I have an older Synology NAS but their interface is much simpler.  All I want to do, is use it to access data files from the internet, such as a spread sheet or word processor docs.

Been working on it all day, I give up.  Perhaps I don't have the correct understanding of how it works.  The OS is running on my 32 gig microSD card, and I tried to mount a 32 gig pen drive for the storage container.  I tried ext4, ext3 and XFS, but they would time out with communication error.  

I originally tried my 4 TB WD MyPassport, but that had the same problem of timing out with communication error, so that is why I tried with 4 different Pen drives.......

I know this is the wrong forum for this problem, but thought some may be able to set me straight on what I am doing wrong.  Also, I am only doing this as a learning project.  I will be 70 years young in a couple of months, but may want to go into the IT industry for a second career, so need to learn all I can........ :)

On 12.8.2017 at 3:30 AM, clarkss12 said:

I tried ext4, ext3 and XFS, but they would time out with communication error.

Which usually is a sign of something going wrong. I had this when installing a corrupted OMV installation once (used a well known defective SD card and used dd instead of Etcher which allowed me to write garbage to the card). Besides that it's really hard to tell anything without logs ('armbianmonitor -u' should work when logging through SSH with root:openmediavault if you not already changed the root pwd with 'passwd' command).

On 12.8.2017 at 4:42 AM, Tido said:

but have you added the additional storage in your /etc/fstab file ?

Editing fstab manually with OMV is both a great way to get into troubles and to prevent mounted filesystems from being accessible. OMV maintains all shared drives on its own below /srv patch and adds them also to fstab in a special way you shouldn't interfere with.

Thank you Tkaiser,  her is the link for the log you requested.  I have written to the same microSD card several times using Rufus, but same results.  I will try a different microSD card and use Etcher.

Thanks for your help..  Very frustrating, but the more I bang my head against the wall, the more I learn......

http://sprunge.us/YARI

just installed it on another microsd card using Etcher.  Booted up, but now when I try to access it using Chrome on my windows computer, it is not taking my password.  I am using root  and openmediavault as the password.  Did not have this problem on my other trys.

never mind, it is admin............ old age is taking hold.

43 minutes ago, martinayotte said:

/dev/sda seems to be present !

Did you check its partitions with "fdisk -l /dev/sda"  ?

root@pine64:~# fdisk -l /dev/sda

Disk /dev/sda: 28.9 GiB, 31043616768 bytes, 60632064 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

I tried to create a file using ext4 and ext3, now it says "The file system creation has completed successfully." but then it disappears.  With the other microSD card, it would fail with communication errors, so at least it is completing, but disappears.

12 minutes ago, martinayotte said:

The output of "fdisk -l /dev/sda" doesn't show any partition ...

But strangely, the previous log mentioned you have /dev/sda1.

Are you sure you provided the complete output of fdisk ?

what do you mean output of fdisk?

The output you've posted earlier :

It seems incomplete since it doesn't show any partition ...

With proper partitioning, it should look like :

Disk /dev/sdb: 29.8 GiB, 32026656768 bytes, 62552064 sectors
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x000c3d6a

Device     Boot Start      End  Sectors  Size Id Type
/dev/sda1        2048 61926527 61922432 29.5G 83 Linux

Went back to my original 32 gig microSD card that I was using yesterday, and burned the OS onto the microSD card using Etcher, now the USB pen drive showed up under file systems automatically.  This is the first time that has happened..........

So, I guess it was a bad burn for this microSD card the first time, and using a different microSD card, apparently it was bad.

Will continue to test, but major hurdle has been accomplished.....

thanks for all your help.....

This is what it looks like now...............

Disklabel type: gpt
Disk identifier: FE265F64-2F38-48D6-B02D-32D14C93DB21

Device     Start      End  Sectors  Size Type
/dev/sda1   2048 60632030 60629983 28.9G Linux filesystem

1 hour ago, clarkss12 said:

So, I guess it was a bad burn for this microSD card the first time, and using a different microSD card, apparently it was bad.

It would be interesting to check both SD-Cards with h2testw (german link, but should be self explaining) to see if you see some corruption.  Maybe you won't do that cause your system works now, but if your SD card is corrupted, you'll run into 'unexpected behaviours' soon.

I ran the test on my 64 g card that did not work very well, took almost 2 hours to test, but found no errors.

Warning: Only 60993 of 61084 MByte tested.
Test finished without errors.
You can now delete the test files *.h2w or verify them again.
Writing speed: 15.7 MByte/s
Reading speed: 17.1 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

I am making good progress, was able to create 4 folders, and copied one song, one  TV recording,  and a text file.  However, when I try to copy a video of around 4GB, it fails each time around 40% complete.  It "unmounts" my pen drive, and I have to "mount" it again.  

I also installed Plex, but had to install it using Putty, the program addon did not work.  I am able to use Plex on an external device and it plays the TV recording and music song perfectly, no buffering at all, from this NAS.

Next, I have to figure out how to access this NAS from the internet.........

I ran the test on my 64 g card that did not work very well, took almost 2 hours to test, but found no errors.

thats normal, cause you have to write the read the hole space on your SD-Card (I normally test my SD-Cards during the time I'm out for a beer :beer:).

Warning: Only 60993 of 61084 MByte tested.

hm.... 91MB not tested, this number looks a litte bit high to me, normally I have something like 1MB not tested.

Example of a 32gb Samsung EVO plus SD-Card:

Achtung: Nur 30530 von 30531 MByte getestet.

Fertig, kein Fehler aufgetreten.

Sie können die Testdateien *.h2w jetzt löschen oder nach Belieben

nochmals überprüfen.

Schreibrate: 14,0 MByte/s

Leserate: 20,1 MByte/s

H2testw v1.4

Did you choose that only empty space is checked? I normaly test my SD-Cards after formatting it with SD-Card formatter.

52 minutes ago, clarkss12 said:

Next, I have to figure out how to access this NAS from the internet.........

IMO, as long as your OMV image doesn't run smoothly I would not open the device to the Internet. Make sure that everything works smoothly, make yourself familiar with potential security risks and than think about pros and cons before you decide if you wanna open it to the internet.  Seems that there are still some RPi botnets, I hope we'll never see an Armbian botnet. ;)

22 minutes ago, chwe said:

thats normal, cause you have to write the read the hole space on your SD-Card (I normally test my SD-Cards during the time I'm out for a beer :beer:).

hm.... 91MB not tested, this number looks a litte bit high to me, normally I have something like 1MB not tested.

Example of a 32gb Samsung EVO plus SD-Card:

Did you choose that only empty space is checked? I normaly test my SD-Cards after formatting it with SD-Card formatter.

IMO, as long as your OMV image doesn't run smoothly I would not open the device to the Internet. Make sure that everything works smoothly, make yourself familiar with potential security risks and than think about pros and cons before you decide if you wanna open it to the internet.  Seems that there are still some RPi botnets, I hope we'll never see an Armbian botnet. ;)

Right now, it is just a learning experience for me.  I still can't get a 4 or 5 gig file to upload, keeps timing out.  It starts out with 56 Mbps upload for about 10% of the file, then drops to about 6 Mbps, then drops some more to about 2 Mbps, and then bounces around 1 Mbps, or less.......