Trying to boot NanoPi-K2

martinayotte

I have a NanoPi-K2 sitting in the dust since awhile.

I decided to try some images from @balbes150, such as Armbian_5.32_S9xxx_Ubuntu_xenial_3.14.29_server_20170820.img.xz or even some other such Armbian_5.27_S9xxx_Debian_jessie_4.13.0-next-20170731+_server.img.xz, but none of them is even starting to load u-boot ... :wacko::(

It is only producing such output on debug serial :

GXBB:BL1:08dafd:0a8993;FEAT:EDFC318C;POC:3;RCY:0;EMMC:800;NAND:81;SD:0;READ:0;CHK:F3;USB:8;LOOP:1;EMMC:800;NAND:81;SD:0;READ:0;CHK:F3;USB:8;LOOP:2;EMMC:800;NAND:81;SD:0;READ:0;CHK:F3;USB:8;

I don't know much about Amlogic, what I'm missing ?

Grrrrr ! :angry:

Even this FriendlyELEC nanopi-k2_ubuntu_core_xenial-20170718.img.zip image just enter in a boot loop for awhile, but after several trys, I've finally got the prompt ...

Thanks, Zador for the hints, I will take a lot at that !

Unfortunately, I think it will take a lot of efforts ...

EDIT : Grrrrr ! :angry: After a reboot, the boot loop came back again ...

6 minutes ago, zador.blood.stained said:

And since it is S905 based it may be possible to rely on pure mainline u-boot using Odroid C2 config with some patches.

Yes, that is worth trying ... but u-boot needs to be pushed in the ass first :) 

5 minutes ago, Igor said:

Yes, that is worth trying ... but u-boot needs to be pushed in the ass first :) 

You mean something like this? https://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2017-May/291439.html

Since it's a new device we can experiment all we want (compared to XU4 where unfortunately we already have mainline based images marked as "stable" with the legacy u-boot). Also since I don't see mainline images for C2 marked as "stable" we can probably use the mainline u-boot for C2 next/dev branches too.

@zador.blood.stained hit it on the head, there is no u-boot in balbes images.

If you still get the loop with a custom image, the u-boot blob isn't being written to the correct position on the card, so the first stage bootloader isn't seeing it. Now I don't know why you might be able to get to a u-boot prompt "after a while".  That doesn't sound healthy.

I have the u-boot source from the June Amlogic sources, what board is the K2 most like, maybe I can build a blob for you that will work.

40 minutes ago, TonyMac32 said:

If you still get the loop with a custom image, the u-boot blob isn't being written to the correct position on the card, so the first stage bootloader isn't seeing it. Now I don't know why you might be able to get to a u-boot prompt "after a while".  That doesn't sound healthy

The boot loop wasn't with balbes image, but with FriendlyELEC image ... So, not stable enough, I decided to build a C2, and will report back if it is working better.

13 hours ago, zador.blood.stained said:

AFAIK most Amlogic devices supported by @balbes150 are TV boxes with eMMC storage and on Amlogic devices eMMC has higher boot priority compared to SD. So most likely those images don't have u-boot at all and rely on stock u-boot in eMMC. You can try comparing official FriendlyELEC images and these images in a hex editor.

13 hours ago, martinayotte said:

I decided to try some images from @balbes150, such as Armbian_

Further in the subject have the right information on how to start Armbian on this model.

Thanks, @balbes150 !

Using @kicker22004 patches, I got the Armbian_5.32_S9xxx_Ubuntu_xenial_3.14.29_server_20170820.img.xz image booting ! ;)

But unfortunately, on-board WiFi not detected ...

Trying some Mainline images didn't lead to some success, staying stuck at "Starting kernel ..." !

EDIT : even the Armbian_5.32_S9xxx_Ubuntu_xenial_3.14.29_server_20170820.img.xz start doing some reboot loop now. I think my board is simply defective, FriendlyArm maybe simply send me this sample from "rejected" one ...

(It will return in the drawer to collect dust :angry:)

Unfortunately, with Armbian_5.32_S9xxx_Ubuntu_xenial_3.14.29_server_20170820.img.xz, there is no modules for AP6212, either it is part of kernel or not present at all, although the /lib/firmware/ap6212 is present.

"dmesg" doesn't reveal much.

Anyway, with the intermittent reboots and boot loops occurring in the middle of some apt-get I had this morning, I'm convince that this board is probably defective.

1 hour ago, martinayotte said:

intermittent reboots

I had once a bad power connector (barrel jack) and it took me a while to find out it was this and not the software that forced the reboots :huh:

Doesn't this board have to ways to power it ?

25 minutes ago, Tido said:

Doesn't this board have to ways to power it ?

Since the center pin of the barrel is bigger than the one from OPi, I didn't have any jack for it, so I've powered the board directly from 5V pin of the header.

BTW, I've finally recover the bad apt-get without reboot, but I don't know when things will go bad again, maybe it is a bad DRAM and crash when hitting bad region.

5 hours ago, martinayotte said:

Since the center pin of the barrel is bigger than the one from OPi, I didn't have any jack for it, so I've powered the board directly from 5V pin of the header.

BTW, I've finally recover the bad apt-get without reboot, but I don't know when things will go bad again, maybe it is a bad DRAM and crash when hitting bad region.

You can test the RAM by installing the memtester package and run: 

sudo memtester 1024 5

This should allocate 1024MB of memory, and repeat the test 5 times.

10 hours ago, martinayotte said:

Unfortunately, with Armbian_5.32_S9xxx_Ubuntu_xenial_3.14.29_server_20170820.img.xz, there is no modules for AP6212, either it is part of kernel or not present at all, although the /lib/firmware/ap6212 is present.

"dmesg" doesn't reveal much.

Anyway, with the intermittent reboots and boot loops occurring in the middle of some apt-get I had this morning, I'm convince that this board is probably defective.

modprobe dhd

or

modprobe wifi_dummy

PS

In order to better understand the features of these images Armbian (they have a number of differences from the official versions), I recommend to read the latest pages of the topic.

Wishing to having a Mainline running on this NanoPi-K2, I gave second tried using Armbian_5.32_S9xxx_Ubuntu_xenial_4.13.0-rc7-next-20170901_mate.img.xz and then dts.img copied and ran ./fusing.sh /dev/sdx.

Still no chance : still stuck at "Starting kernel ...".

About trying using a OrdoidC2 build, but they have some protection in their u-boot/bl1.bin.hardkernel, producing the following error :

***** Warning!! *****************************************************
* This board have not been autorized or product keys are not valid. *
* Please contact with Hardkernel or your distributor                *

Mainline built with Armbian runs on Le Potato with no issues, have you tried to build it yourself?  I did have to play with the boot script due to some device names moving around.  The nanopi is basically a Meson-gxbb, correct?

Do you means that you've used a OdroidC2 build to run on LePotato and you didn't face the protection I've mentioned ?

I will try to build a LePotato image and try to boot it on K2 ... Thanks !

EDIT : Unfortunately, a LePotato image doesn't work, it produce the same boot loop I've originally mentioned few weeks ago.

GXBB:BL1:08dafd:0a8993;FEAT:EDFC318C;POC:3;RCY:0;EMMC:800;NAND:81;SD:0;READ:0;CHK:F3;USB:8;LOOP:1;EMMC:800;NAND:81;SD:0;READ:0;CHK:F3;USB:8;LOOP:2;EMMC:800;NAND:81;SD:0;READ:0;CHK:F3;USB:8;

And of course, fusing the crappy k2uboot.bin was waste of time, because it require a FAT boot partition.

I think I'm missing a lot of knowledge on those AmLogic (I'm too fluent with AllWinner).

Right, sorry I was vague.  The bootloader is the difference (s905x versus the s905), I don't have a K2 to experiment with to build it, but if you clone  https://github.com/Tonymac32/Amlogic-u-boot

And get the toolchain it calls out in the makefile (I haven't tried with others, I stuck with what worked since I didn't want to get lost in the woods), you should be able to modify the proper board the K2 is most similar to to pull the boot.scr from ext4 (example)

Make sure EXT4 is enabled

Makes sure ext4 commands are enabled

And, using @balbes150's excellent work as a guide, set it up to look for boot script on various devices.

The new "file loader" command:  bloader

going to the root of the working directory run "./mk <boardname>", go to the "fip" directory, and burn the "u-boot.bin" to SD: 

dd if=u-boot.bin of=<your SD Card> bs=512 seek=1 conv=fsync

Le Potato Boot script (reference)

Device numbers may vary.  At present the boot blob I made for Le Potato successfully handles EXT4 without complaint.  There are some grumblings from routines I haven't squashed that are looking for early dtb loading for 3.x kernels using FAT, but that won't bother mainline.

Thanks @TonyMac32 !

Unfortunately, still doesn't work ! Boot loop mentioned above still there an u-boot never started ... :(

You u-boot build successfully, I've only had to change the CROSS_COMPILER path in the Makefile. The "make sure" you've mentioned were already present, so I've "dd" the resulting "u-boot.bin".

It looks like it doesn't even load that u-boot. What those means exectly ?

GXBB:BL1:08dafd:0a8993;FEAT:EDFC318C;POC:3;RCY:0;EMMC:800;NAND:81;SD:0;READ:0;CHK:F3;USB:8;LOOP:1;

Some thing look strange to me : doing "strings u-boot.bin" doesn't show any default variables like it used too with any other u-boot.

EDIT : btw, are you sure about "bs=512 seek=1" ? It seems to be pretty low compare to AllWinner where u-boot is usually placed at "bs=1024 seek=8"

Yeah, it's not finding the bootloader.  

Hmm, which board did you use as template?  There is an offset of some sort between the two, when using an S905 image on S905X you get the same result.  

Another good example of needing all the cousin boards, I'll have to get my hands on a K2 and a C2.  

Yes, that is the dd command, I've been using it almost daily.  ;-) I'll make sure the S905 is the same, why it wouldn't be I don't know