NanoPi M1 USB gadget mode madness

g40

Greetings,

I've got 2 M1 boards in front of me. The FA is running their latest distribution: http://www.mediafire.com/file/kc44mm1mdahslho/nanopi-m1_debian-jessie_4.11.2_20170905.img.zip

By default the device tree for the FA has the USB controller (usb@01c19000) marked as disabled and is missing the dr_mode = "OTG" attribute. Enable the controller and Add the dr_node property and the board comes up as a mass storage device in both Windows and Linux. 

The board running Armbian has exactly the same device tree entries, dmesg shows the USB controller is loaded and visible with lsusb -t. When a gadget module is loaded all appears to work on the M1 but it never appears as a valid USB device on the host. Windows eventually complains that the port reset failed.

I figured this might be a problem with the OTG ID pin not being set up properly but both boards report the same PIO pin status. 

Does anyone have working gadget mode on an M1? Or might they suggest how I can diagnose this issue?

Just for laughs Armbian 4.11.5 running on an OPI One *does* have working gadget mode. Given identical hardware and USB wiring I figure this makes it unlikely (but not impossible) to be a kernel issue.

TAIA

P.S. If anyone wants to do a bit of consulting to fix this problem, please PM me.

nanopim1:~$ uname -a
Linux nanopim1 4.11.5-sun8i #7 SMP Mon Sep 11 17:50:49 BST 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux

~# uname -a
Linux FriendlyELEC 4.11.2 #1 SMP Mon Jul 10 11:06:36 CST 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux

nanopim1:~$ sudo sunxi-pio -m PG12
PG12<7><0><1>

@FriendlyELEC:~# sunxi-pio -m PG12
PG12<7><0><1>

Hello Enno and thanks.

Yes - Indeed mine is the last comment, posted at some point yesterday :)

For the M1 board the FA distro does not specify the usb0_id_det-gpios = <0xe 0x6 0xc 0x0>; section in the DTS.