Olimex Lime A20 Wont boot armbian

martijn

Hello everyone,

I'm having some isues with my olimex board. It boots fine on the images supplied by olimex. But the Armbian legacy images wont boot.

I have a serial connection to the board it hangs on the following line:

<6>axp20_ldo2: 1800 <--> 3300 mV at 3000 mV.

http://pastebin.com/nEHAiZHa

I need legacy for i2s support so mainline isnt an option.

I use the following board(tried 3 of these):

https://www.olimex.com/Products/OLinuXino/A20/A20-OLinuXino-LIME-4GB/open-source-hardware

I used the following armbian image (jessie and wheezy give the same error):

http://www.armbian.com/olimex-lime/

Building the image myself also doesnt work.

Anbody knows what i am doing wrong ?

Is there any update about this issue? I'm having same problem with my A20 cubieboard, but workaround is to boot Android from NAND, shutdown and then Debian Jessie from SD card ad everything is OK. I would like to put Jessie into NAND but with this bug I'm afraid that this could appear on NAND and brick board. Thanks for info.

Images for Cubieboards were built few days ago and I made few boots with them including NAND install. I haven't found any problems. 

Well, So after some experiments... I have only one SD card that I can use for experiments right now, so I will test another SD card later. However results are:

Armbian 4.5 boots nicely on first try and no problems.

Armbian 5.0 and 5.04 crashes on <6>axp20_ldo2: 1800 <--> 3300 mV at 3000 mV and normally boots only after boot into android from NAND and then shutdown. When i leave board without power for a while after successfull boot (3 mins are enough) then I have to boot to Android again. I even switched power adapter from 5V 850mA for 5V 2A and issue persists so power is not the problem. That leaves me with bad SD card or some bug in armbian.

I have the same problem on Lime2. It works fine with Armbian 4.5 booting from NAND, SD and USB.

Unfortunately, it stops booting Armbian 5.0 (from Armbian repository) and 5.05 (own build) at <6>axp20_ldo2: 1800 <--> 3300 mV at 3000 mV and boots fine after booting Armbian 4.5 from NAND without powering off the board.

The problem does not come definitely from the power adapter and SD card. In my opinion it  probably comes from U-Boot SoC initialization.

I need to customize the image so is there a way to make my own build of older Armbian 4.5 while the problem is fixed in latest version?

Any news on that? I've got the same issue with my Lime2 and different SD-cards.

Olimex Lime2 boots and works fine with version 4.5 (http://www.armbian.com/olimex-lime-2/) from SD.

I also tried version 4.81, 5.0 and 5.5 from mirror link. All these versions stop booting at <6>axp20_ldo2: 1800 <--> 3300 mV at 3000 mV

I build the version from github-repo, using "next"-branch (compiles to version Lime2_Ubuntu_1.9_trusty_3.4.110). This version boots and works.

I highly suspect u-boot in this manner. I can't check until getting back to office. Try with master branch:

Edit / create file

userpatches/lib.config

and set U-boot branch to:

BOOTBRANCH="v2015.10"

Then all images will be compiled with this branch - clear cache that you won't use pre-cached packages.

If it will work well with this uboot it's time to notify u-boot sunxi maintainer about this issue.

Thanks a lot, it worked for me.

I have compiled with kernel 3.4.110 and will give it a try with latest stable kernel.

Update: The solution also works with kernel 4.4.5

Changing U-Boot to v2015.10 as recommended by Igor above solved the problem in Armbian 5.05 build.

I deleted only U-Boot as Debian package (probably not needed) in cache so only kernel and U-Boot staff become rebuild.

Thanks a lot Igor for the great project and the prompt help.

Hello everyone,

I'm having some isues with my olimex board. It boots fine on the images supplied by olimex. But the Armbian legacy images wont boot.

I have a serial connection to the board it hangs on the following line:

<6>axp20_ldo2: 1800 <--> 3300 mV at 3000 mV.

http://pastebin.com/nEHAiZHa

Hello! Sorry for my english. I has same problem on Cubieboard2. I tried two different microSD cards.

Booting "Linux version 3.4.112-sun7i (root@pluton) (gcc version 5.3.1 20160413 (Ubuntu/Linaro 5.3.1-14ubuntu2) ) #7 SMP PREEMPT Tue Jun 21 15:43:57 CEST 2016"

Armbian 5.14 legacy kernel 3.4.112 Jessie desktop.

But I hasn't problem with 4.6.2 - 4.6.3 kernel!

Please, help me!

Thanks!

I found solution.

1. Copy Armbian from SD card to NAND and remove card.

2. Boot from NAND.

3. Insert SD.

4. Modify "boot.cmd"

setenv bootargs console=ttyS0,115200 root=/dev/nand1 rootwait panic=10

replace

setenv bootargs console=ttyS0,115200 root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 rootwait panic=10

convert boot.cmd to boot.scr:

mkimage -C none -A arm -T script -d boot.cmd boot.scr

5. Remove boot sector from SD card

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=1k count=1023 seek=1

6. Reboot Cubieboard2. Clean directory /boot on SD card.

7. In /etc/fstab add

/dev/nand1 /boot auto default 0 0

8. Reboot

Previous solution copy image to nand. Somtimes imposible boot device to copy image. 

There is another, which can help boot device:

1. Stop booting device by pressing "Enter" when u-boot starting.

2.  Enter next commands

i2c mw 0x34 0x12 0x1f
i2c mw 0x34 0x29 0x00
i2c mw 0x34 0x12 0x5f
i2c mw 0x34 0x29 0x58

3. Continue booting by send command: 

boot

4. In file /boot/boot.cmd add next lines:

i2c mw 0x34 0x12 0x1f
i2c mw 0x34 0x29 0x00
i2c mw 0x34 0x12 0x5f
i2c mw 0x34 0x29 0x58

4.  Convert boot.cmd to boot.scr

mkimage -C none -A arm -T script -d /boot/boot.cmd /boot/boot.scr

I checked this solution on Cubieboard2 with legacy kernel.

Original topic: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/linux-sunxi/EDvEsbHHqQI