Alternative H3 legacy kernel

Igor

I prepared new kernel based on recent H3 Allwinner code. Code was found here: https://github.com/friendlyarm/h3_lichee than it was cleaned and moved to my repository:

https://github.com/igorpecovnik/linux -b sun8i

On the top there are additional 100+ patches. I am still working on patches so they are not online yet, but you can try first build and compare to old kernel.

Download deb package (dpkg -i linux-image-sun8i_5.07_armhf.deb)

Patches regarding thermal, video mode changing and camera are missing. They need further inspection and adjustments.

M2+ is OK? I already prepare a download page.

What do you think about unresolved patches?

- MALI R4 looks like a lot of work

- camera is out, we are getting new patch

- thermal and videomode - this part is very different in new kernel and again, some more work. BTW, why do we need those pathches?

- thermal and videomode - this part is very different in new kernel and again, some more work. BTW, why do we need those pathches?

Mali R4 isn't worth the efforts since we would need at least 4.1 to get OpenGLES acceleration in Chromium which might make a huge difference (not with 4.0 and I have no idea where to get Mali.so 4.1 or above). Regarding camera I hope @lex joins in, integrates sun4i_csi from sun7i, adds phelum's basic patches and then his adjustments on top. Videomode is not interesting any more (just a hack to provide videomodes as part of kernel cmdline in boot.cmd) and thermal patch I even forgot why I (re-)added it. Ah, it was a bugfix since the critical ths trip point was ignored: https://github.com/igorpecovnik/lib/blob/master/patch/kernel/sun8i-default/unresolved/02-0005-h3-thermal.patch#L69

M2+ should just plain work since it's essentially a downclocked Orange Pi Plus/PC. And ATM I refuse to look into WiFi/BT stuff since it's AP6212 and should work with sun7i drivers or we wait until SinoVoip finishes their attemps to get WiFi/BT working (they rely on some BSP code that's completely different! But maybe since their documentation links already to FriendlyARM they simply took the drivers from there that are alreay present in our new sun8i sources?)

OK, thanks for update.

Wifi drivers are (almost?) the same as seen on Cubietruck / Banana PRO. But they are not working out of the box since kernel source structure is not exactly the same as on A20. I already try to adjust but failed.

Wifi drivers are (almost?) the same as seen on Cubietruck / Banana PRO. But they are not working out of the box since kernel source structure is not exactly the same as on A20. I already try to adjust but failed.

Me too. And I didn't want to simply take their last commit since it seems to disable the Orange's 8189 WiFi.

Tested the Banana Pi M2+ desktop image: http://sprunge.us/eAgG

h3disp and sun8i-corekeeper.sh are missing (I don't understand why this switch didn't work?) and it seems throttling settings or lets better say thermal readouts differ somewhat (not necessarily higher but they seem to be smoothed somehow).

Old kernel:

Bildschirmfoto%202016-04-13%20um%2019.41

New kernel:

Bildschirmfoto%202016-04-13%20um%2019.11

So with the old kernel the board would be a little bit faster but that's nothing to be concered of and maybe just a calibration issue (not in the mood to repeat every test 3 times as usual)

h3disp and sun8i-corekeeper.sh are missing (I don't understand why this switch didn't work?) and it seems throttling settings or lets better say thermal readouts differ somewhat (not necessarily higher but they seem to be smoothed somehow).

My mistake / disabled in (my) config. 

I put mine under stress test ... let's wait and see. I hope we get rid of kswap bug, speed decrease, if any, is not an issue.

I have noticed that when using the Armbian_5.05_Orangepih3_Debian_jessie_3.4.110 on orangepi pc or after updating the kernel from this topic,

shutdown -r and reboot does not work, it shuts down the machine. Sometimes init 6 reboots the machine but not always.

PS: During the installation of the CMA enabled .deb it complained about not finding the led and after boot, green and red leds are off.

M2+ is OK? I already prepare a download page.

What do you think about unresolved patches?

Why would MALI R4 driver need a lot of work? I'm using driver r4p0 from kernel source located in modules/mali and it works without a change. Only thing needed would be a proper section in fex file.

No problem. It is in very inconvenient place. I already considered cloning your repo and putting drivers from modules/ folder in the right place, so separate driver builds would not be needed anymore. Actually, the only other driver worth considering would be NAND driver, but since it is only in binary blob form and not many H3 boards include NAND chips, it can be dropped.

I already considered cloning your repo and putting drivers from modules/ folder in the right place,

If you find time, do it. I won't work on this soon.