locale config issue (stretch)

Hi,

After 2 tests with recent images (5.77) with debian stretch for s912 (balbes ilmages) and dev image for pineh64, I get the same issue when configuring locales. I selected fr_FR.UTF-8 in armbian-config and I also ran manually dpkg-reconfigure locales and locale-gen, but I ended each time to default locales settings (ANSI_X3.4-1968). Only the LANG variable is set to fr_FR.UTF-8 and all LC_XXX variables are set to C.

To solve this issue, I have modified manually the /etc/environment to set LC_ALL=fr_FR.UTF-8.

Does anybody else have this issue and is it specific to debian? With a 5.75 stretch image the locale configuration worked well.

We didn't change anything regarding this so it is possible that problems came from upstream. I also noticed some locales issues but haven't got into it yet.

This problem is still present in version 5.83 of Armbian.

I actually see the presence of the line

LC_ALL=C

in /etc/environment

This is not normal, this line should not be there.

see in the debian Wiki :

Warning!

Using LC_ALL is strongly discouraged as it overrides everything. Please use it only when testing and never set it in a startup file.

The good solution is to remove this line of /etc/environment

2 hours ago, epsilonrt said:

This problem is still present in version 5.83 of Armbian.

5.83 is not a recent Armbian.
You didn't give any details of what board you're using. If possible use a recent image.

this line is present in /etc/environment, with the subsequent problems (impossible to type éèçà°µù§ on a French keyboard) in

Armbian_5.91_Rock64_Debian_buster_default_4.4.184.img

wich says, when it starts :

Welcome to Debian Buster with Armbian Linux 4.4.182-rockchip64

I use it on a pine4 Rock64 card.

Thanks a lot, @epsilonrt, you solved my problem. I was working on it for hours.

is it good to file an issue on Github, Igor ?

On 8/29/2019 at 6:49 PM, epsilonrt said:

Warning!

Using LC_ALL is strongly discouraged as it overrides everything. Please use it only when testing and never set it in a startup file.

The good solution is to remove this line of /etc/environment

got this also in Debian Buster with Armbian Linux 5.3.8-sunxi64
package bsp-kernel[5.99.191102] u-boot[5.98] dtb[5.99.191102] firmware[5.98] config[5.98]
armbian branch    [dev]
:(

BUT the good thing is: thats explains why I did never get these fine asci-window-border lines in armbian-config.

I has set armbian-config via  Personal => Locales to en- oder de-utf8 and pUTTY as character-translation to UTF-8, but did get some strange charcters for the borders because of the LC_ALL=C :(

Now I deleted the line from /etc/environment and started a new SSH-session and voila armbian-config now does show up with fine ascii-window-borders ;)

LC_ALL_UTF8.jpg

Thanks for fixing this!

:thumbup:

I couldn't do umlauts on my Rock64 via ssh. The internet suggested editing etc/inputrc, but I figured this couldn't be the root of the problem. So have been a little lost here for a while.

---

food for search engine: (arg: 6)