Kernel not boot with u-boot

JBraun

On my cubietruck I have tried the Armbian_5.75_Cubietruck_Debian_stretch_next_4.19.20. For me it looks that u-boot loads the files, but the kernel will/can not start. Attached the output from the console.

Rarly I get some additional output on the console like "Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel." but nothing happens, or some wild output from wrong instructions which leads to a reset.

I have also tried "Armbian_5.59_Cubietruck_Ubuntu_xenial_default_3.4.113_desktop" to exclude some mainline / legacy kernel issues. But no luck.

With some older versions (e.g. 5.20) I have no luck also.

From my feeling there is a basic thing, may be:

• timing (RAM, SD-card)
  • RTC / empty batterie
  • problem with the NAND in the background / or the bootloader from there interferes
  • missing some requirements

After reading dozens of topics from the forum and spending a lot of hours for a search in the web, a have no idea how to go further to solve this issue.

Any hints what I can check / do? 

What works:

I am able to boot an old armbian (legacy kernel) from NAND. There , I can mount the SD-card and read and write.

I am able to boot an linaro (older) from SD-card without problems. I have seen that the clock is not up to date. The time started an bootup.

How I have tested:

To the cubietruck I have only connected SD-card, HDMI, network, power supply and UART0 console with putty.

I have burned image with win32imager (version 1.0) and verified.

I have used different SD-cards (brands, sizes, classes).

I have used different power supplies on the power connector => same result.

Regards,

Joerg

printenv.txt

u-boot_log.txt

Board: Cubietruck

1 hour ago, JBraun said:

UART0 console with putty.

Make sure that "verbosity=7" and "console=serial" in /boot/armbianEnv.txt, and using "putty" on serial-debug, it should provide more information where it is stuck after "starting kernel".

Hello martinayotte,

thanks for the fast reply.

I modified the file /boot/armbianEnv.txt with verbosity=7 and console=serial as suggested.

I used putty on an other device. This is connected to the UART0 on cubietruck (4 pin header close to the USB ports). I think, that this is the serial-debug. Right?

No luck. The kernel is not starting. The output is still the same. See attachment.

armbianEnv.txt

log_from_putty_with_verbosity=7_console=serial.txt

Hy everbody,

I have the same problem. The kernel is not starting. I modified the file /boot/armbianEnv.txt with verbosity=7 and console=serial.

Has anybody an idea?

Regards,

Leo

6 minutes ago, MrEder said:

Hy everbody,

I have the same problem. The kernel is not starting. I modified the file /boot/armbianEnv.txt with verbosity=7 and console=serial.

Has anybody an idea?

Regards,

Leo

Do you start with a clean image? Do you wait long enough and can check HDMI and serial console just to make sure what's going on?

I see a part of the bootsequenz on the display. How can I trace it?
I write with balenaEtcher-1.5.51-x64.AppImage this Armbian_5.90_Cubietruck_Ubuntu_bionic_next_4.19.57.img on a micro SD (ScanDisk 2GB).
No kernel is starting after 5 minutes.

1. First boot with Armbian_5.86_Cubietruck_Ubuntu_bionic_next_4.19.38.img
EHCI failed allocate 0x73000 bytes below 0x4a000000
device tree - allocation error
FDT creation failed! hanging .. ###ERROR### Please RESET the board###

2. After RESET
Same problem
. Starting kernal
System hanging

BTW: File /boot/armbianEnv.txt not changed

6 minutes ago, MrEder said:

device tree - allocation error

Never see such error. If you can't boot the board with any of images out there its probably just some sort of hardware failure which is in theory just a matter of time. If you can boot it with a stock legacy u-boot but with nothing else, this means modern boot does not support some border hw revision cases. On those A20 boards that is extremely extremely rare.

32 minutes ago, MrEder said:

What is the difference between this two images.

"Everything". Modern u-boot/kernel support was made basically from scratch with small portion of code reuse. There could be some rare memory chip or failure tied to board or chip design and it was masked/corrected with stock u-boot but hasn't landed upstream. If this is something like that its not worth investigation. No ideas what else could be.

Concorde fallacy case and we don't have https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_case unit ;)