Orange Pi Lite2 USB3 now working!

data

4 minutes ago, Lope said:

Can you please test max throughput with a SSD connected via USB3?

Rather use:

iozone -e -I -a -s 100M -r 4k -r 16k -r 512k -r 1024k -r 16384k -i 0 -i 1 -i 2

@Igor Interesting thanks, I've never used iozone before. I see in your command you have not specified a specific device it will test?
Is your command safe? does it only perform reads?

I must say I've gotten useful information about the max device (and bus) read speed using (the command reads raw from the device as fast as possible, bypassing cache)
It has been very useful for me, for quick tests.

hdparm -t /dev/sda

@data I saw in another thread you mentioned that you're using USB3 gigabit ethernet with your H6...

I would be very interested in seeing iperf test results :)

Setup iperf server that listens for UDP

iperf -s -i 1 -u

Run iperf client (where 192.168.0.6 is the server's IP)

iperf -c 192.168.0.6 -t 30 -u -b 1000000000

4 minutes ago, Lope said:

I've never used iozone before

Start :) It tells you a lot more. You probably heard about this tool https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskmark/ ... this do the same.

6 minutes ago, Lope said:

I saw in another thread you mentioned that you're using USB3 gigabit ethernet with your H6.

Don't have access to hardware atm.

Not one USB3.0 device works for me. I am using the latest image release.

I tried to connect several HDD cases, Transend usb3.0 flash drive and 3.0 usb hub. For all devices, lsusb -t showed a 480M connection.

All devices were exactly 3.0 I checked on a laptop with ubuntu, where lsusb -t showed a 5000M connection.

Please help me, what am I doing wrong?

46 minutes ago, Muctex said:

Please help me

Have you read the text on the page you download image? We make those notes to hopefully limit questions. Changes are slow and there is nothing we can do about.

- AFAIK USB3.0 is not working properly yet

- WIP images are for testing.

In general: there is no end user support for WIP targets. Do you understand that such help is very expensive and is killing the project which is helping you? We can't afford proper end user support at this stage: still lots of problems, repeated questions, changing code, 99,99% our cost and "you" don't read and sometimes needs deep persuasion and other things to backup something what is obvious. Nothing personal, just saying.

1 hour ago, martinayotte said:

I remember seeing some patches from @megi about USB3 PHY few days ago ...

We will get those probably in his 5.4.y branch later.

Those mainline PHY patches will work for boards that don't have switchable VBUS on usb3 ports, like Orange Pi 3. It's a bit of a compromise to get at least some allwinner USB3 code into the mainline Linux. I should probably port back to my 5.4 branch the older version of the patches that can also be used with other boards that need to enable VBUS regulators.

On 11/5/2019 at 8:59 PM, Igor said:

Have you read the text on the page you download image

First of all, thank you for your reply. I read the information on the download page, there is no clear written about it. If my eyes do not lie, it is written that the connection to the JMS567 USB3.0 is tested.

Yes, I understand the whole situation. I read a lot of information and did not find the necessary information before writing here.

I am very grateful for the arbian and all who are involved in its development. I know that so far only words. In the future, if possible, I will donate to the project.

14 minutes ago, Muctex said:

there is no clear written about it.

"USB3 sometimes doesn’t detect high-speed devices properly". This clearly means USB3 might not work properly. What do you want more than that?

Orange pi 3 has a badge different than other STABLE builds. It said "suitable for testings". The answer what that means - if you in doubts - is written in a FAQ on the same page.

Sorry I mixed for Opi3 ... anyway. Orangepi Lite 2 has only this information exposed.

BTW. All end user donations together covers only 15 minutes of support costs per month - dealing with you for example.

18 minutes ago, Igor said:

What do you want more than that?

I just want to find a solution on how to connect ssd to USB 3.0. I fully understand what is written on the download page, work in progress on the image. In my understanding, sometimes it does not always mean. I tried all the devices that I have but it didn’t work either. I want to try to understand the problem, is there at least some information why USB 3.0 is not working properly?

6 minutes ago, Muctex said:

find a solution

Armbian forum is not a place to seek for extra free solutions. If something doesn't work since we have no resources to fix this and it bothers you: https://www.google.com/search?q=hire+kernel+hacker 

12 minutes ago, Muctex said:

I want to try to understand the problem, is there at least some information why USB 3.0 is not working properly?

Guidance and education. What you will do for me? Try here perhaps: https://forum.armbian.com/search/

37 minutes ago, martinayotte said:

simply use your devices as USB2

Thank. So I use devices 3.0 through usb 2.0 =)

36 minutes ago, Igor said:

we have no resources

Thanks anyway. However, you have the resources to defiantly respond = (

Please, do not waste resources on replies to me.

11 minutes ago, Muctex said:

Please, do not waste resources on replies to me.

Thank you for opportunity to promote well known fact, which is also written in FAQ: there is no end-user support for things that are in development. Why? Its simply too expensive information while reply as such is cheap and affordable. This entire support is: best effort. Behave accordingly.

Hmm, it looks like I never had a version of the USB3 PHY driver in my tree that includes the VBUS regulator support. Anyway, there are some mentions on LKML of patches pending to support VBUS enable via gpio-usb-b-connector driver, so hopefully in a few months it should become simpler to upstream the support for USB3 A connector on lite2, too.

Pretty much. The only problem is that the regulator is not enabled.

You'd just need to replicate these 2 small changes in the lite2 dts file:

https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/11208939/

and then figure out the regulator for vbus, which is enabled by some gpio you can find in the lite2 schematic, and USB3 would work. You'll need the Linux 5.5 though, or to apply it on top of my tree here. https://megous.com/git/linux/log/?h=orange-pi-5.4

13 minutes ago, megi said:

you can find in the lite2 schematic

Thank you very much! I already found in the circuit part LPW5210 enable pin, it is connected to PL5 / S-JTAG-CK-J22-> USB0-DRVVBUS.

I have one more question. Thinking of a lack of power, I tried to connect the usb 3.0 hub with external power and it also worked only in 2.0 = (

If people with H6 devices without USB3 hub had problems connecting some USB3 peripherals, there has been and issue discovered now, where TXVBOOSTLVL was left to the default value instead of set to 7 (max). I haven't checked what the default value is (it's not documented), so I'm not sure if it will have any effect, but the patch is here:

https://megous.com/git/linux/commit/?h=opi3-5.4&id=ea8b455817276a043ee0508a8b159dca84c13c53

It may or may not help. On Opi3 I see no change, probably because HUB is really close to the SoC, but on boards without a HUB, SoC's USB3 phy will have to drive the signal over the longer cable and this patch might benefit those boards.

Maybe a stupid comment and i have the OnePlus with H6 without USB3 ports. But it looks like after i install lshw also lsusb -v gives a lote more information. Maybe it could help in troubleshooting?

And if it didn´t help sorry for my interrupt. ;)

I have same problem in my orangepi lite2, when I plugin usb 3.0 device to board,then I use lsusb -t look rate,but it is 480MB:

root@orangepilite2:~# lsusb -t
/:  Bus 07.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=musb-hdrc/1p, 480M
/:  Bus 06.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=ohci-platform/1p, 12M
/:  Bus 05.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=ehci-platform/1p, 480M
/:  Bus 04.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=xhci-hcd/1p, 5000M
/:  Bus 03.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=xhci-hcd/1p, 480M
    |__ Port 1: Dev 2, If 0, Class=Vendor Specific Class, Driver=ax88179_178a, 480M  <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
/:  Bus 02.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=ohci-platform/1p, 12M
/:  Bus 01.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=ehci-platform/1p, 480M